Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OS 10.9.5 upgrade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smink

smink

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:00 PM

I am a photo enthusiast and I do my editing on my iMac (OS X Mavericks 10.9.5) and I want the edited pictures synced to my iPad and iPhone which are newer. Do I have the right software or do I need to upgrade the OS in the iMac? Could someone tell give me step by step how to do this? I was told how easy the Mac was. I have been using iPhoto to edit on my iMac. My phone and iPad have the Photos app and I am not seeing the edited pictures on the iPhone or iPad. So far, I am not a happy camper.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:38 AM

Are you looking to have this be automatic? Or can it be a manual process?

And how much are you tolerate "change"? The reason for asking this will become more readily apparent below.

I ask because there are many ways to do what you want to do and it will depend on how "labor intensive" you want it to be.

The most "automatic" and easy way likely is to use iCloud Photo Library. This option essentially stores all your photos in the cloud using iCloud as well as locally (assuming you have room on your device(s)). In order to use it, however, you will need at least macOS 10.10.3 or newer and you might need to pay for extra iCloud storage depending on how many photos you will have in your library. This option will also force you to "upgrade" from iPhoto to Photos. Apple got rid of iPhoto with 10.10 and replaced it with Photos. While it will nominally work similarly, there are some changes that have annoyed other people. With this option, as long as you have the storage space on all your devices, all your pictures (edited and unedited) should automatically show up on all devices (with some lag to allow for new or edited photos to propagate from one device to Apple's servers and then to your other devices) in theory. I say "in theory" because I don't use it myself, so I cannot comment on how well it may or may not work.

The other kind of automatic option is to do traditional syncing using iTunes, either by cable or WiFi. If you use the traditional cable option, then it will not be completely automatic as you will need to remember to connect the iOS device to your Mac while iTunes is running. If you setup WiFi syncing, then theoretically it will be automatic every time you plug in your iOS device to charge as long as your Mac is powered up and you left iTunes running. I will note that WiFi syncing can be flaky at times (at one time it used to operate smooth as butter, as the saying goes, but Apple "improved" it so that it is now kind of flaky), so it might be completely automatic and you might need to check that it worked on a regular basis. In order to do this, you would also then need to setup Photos to sync with the iTunes options for your iOS devices. This option will work with your current version of the macOS, although that version of the macOS is no longer getting security updates, so you still may want to consider updating to at least 10.10 (if you can...you will have to have downloaded the Yosemite installer at least once to be able to download it again to install 10.10 from the App Store...if you did not download it at least once, then you might have to go to 10.12, assuming your Mac can run it, but I supposed you could try calling Apple to see if you can still get Yosemite, aka 10.10,...you will not find it in the App Store unless you previously downloaded the installer at least once).

If you want further details on either option, then let me know.

From there, there are many other options that will generally not be automatic. They can range from using something like Dropbox to the good old fashioned approach of just emailing edited photos to yourself and then saving them to the Photos app on the iOS device from your email. All will depend on how much effort you want to expend and how many edited photos you will want on your iOS devices.

#3 smink

smink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 09:47 AM

Thank you very much for the help. I purchased the upgrade to 10.11.6 (El Capitan) and will do the upgrade shortly.

If I understand you correctly, I will be able to replace I-Photo with PHOTO in the upgrade to 10.11.6. If this upgrade is successful, would you recommend upgrading to Sierra 10.12?

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:19 PM

Thank you very much for the help. I purchased the upgrade to 10.11.6 (El Capitan) and will do the upgrade shortly.

If I understand you correctly, I will be able to replace I-Photo with PHOTO in the upgrade to 10.11.6.

Yes, iPhoto will effectively be replaced by Photos. The Photos app will have a rainbow colored "flower" in a white circle icon and should automatically appear on the Dock (I believe). When you open it, it should automatically upgrade/update your old iPhoto library to a Photos library.

If this upgrade is successful, would you recommend upgrading to Sierra 10.12?

There are typically two basic reasons to upgrade to a new OS...1) get new features and/or 2) keep getting security and/or bug updates. For the former, that is something you would need to decide...i.e. whether you consider the new features something that you want to do. For the latter, since Apple tends to keep supports the two previous version of the macOS when they provide a new version, you can stay with either of those two older versions (in this case 10.10 and 10.11) and still get at least security updates. If you are more than two versions behind, then it is usually a very good idea to upgrade to at least one of the versions that still get security updates. Beyond that, it kind of goes back to #1.

The points is that since you will be at least up to 10.11 (which still gets security updates), then it is really something you need to decide based upon whether you want the new features. Here is at least one webpage that describes the major new features:

http://lifehacker.com/all-the-new-stuff-in-macos-sierra-1786817117

I can personally say that I typically wait at least a month or two before I upgrade to the latest version. I do this as it allows Apple to work any kinks out of the new version. In other words, I don't want to be Apple's "test dummy". I also do this because some of the utilities and Mail plug-ins that I use may not initially support the new version when it is released. For example, I am just about ready to upgrade to Sierra (aka 10.12). I believe all of my utilities and Mail plug-ins have versions that support Sierra (I did have to pay for some upgrades) and I believe Apple has basically worked the kinks out of the new version. There is at least one of my Mail plug-ins that is no longer supported and will not work with Sierra, so I am debating how important I consider that Mail plug-in. FWIW, most major "productivity" type programs (i.e. MS Office, Photoshop, etc) will typically work with new versions with no problems. It is generally more "low level" type programs (disk utilities, other utilities, Mail plug-ins, etc) that might get "broken" by major new versions of an OS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users