Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Self-booting Linux as a service tool

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 04:24 PM

I have no wish to get on the wrong side of Mike Walsh but I use Linux Puppy as a service tool for those occasions when data has to be salvaged from a Windows computer or a Windows computer has to be beaten into submission. It's quick, it's easy, and it works.

The version I have on my desk is perhaps a little dated - I created this disk in March 2013 and I have it identified as 'Lupu-525.ISO .  I know I am perfectly safe using this as a tool but is there perhaps a later and more effective version ?

Any and all advice gratefully received. I may not act on it but it will be gratefully received !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 04:31 PM

If I am correct, it's just an old version of Slacko Puppy... Presumably Puppy Linux 5.25. The latest version of Slacko Puppy is 6.3 :)

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 05:03 PM

Puppy Linux 5.2.5 is Lucid Puppy based on Ubuntu. 

Chris, for your needs 5.2.5 is still okay and it's great if booting on older hardware. If anything you may want to burn 5.2.8 Lucid.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Long-Term-Supported%20Puppy.htm#lucidpuppy

Personally, for recovering data on the newest hardware I use Fatdog64 as it can boot on a UEFI computer with SecureBoot enabled.

In either case, the resulting CD/DVD or USB flash drive will boot on standard systems, UEFI systems, and systems with Secure Boot enabled (Windows 8).

#4 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 05:19 PM

Puppy Linux 5.2.5 is Lucid Puppy based on Ubuntu.

Ah! I see my mistake now :oopsign:

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 05:55 PM

The version I have on my desk is perhaps a little dated - I created this disk in March 2013

You can still update the browser and stuff and create a small save file or remaster the cd.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 06:17 PM

I have to admit I hadn't considered the implications of UEFI and secure Boot since so far I haven't run into problems with them so I think maybe i will give FatDog a go.

To date I have only once had to install any version of Linux from a pendrive and Rufus worked well to create that. Given that about the smallest USB stick you can buy today is 8GB I will have to look at one of the threads about more than one distro on a memory stick. Being a tight fisted Scot I don't like wasting all that capacity !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#7 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 06:26 PM

Given that about the smallest USB stick you can buy today is 8GB

You can easily find a 4GB pendrive here :P

#8 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:50 PM

...I have no wish to get on the wrong side of Mike Walsh...

Ach, dinnae be daft, mon.

No offence taken, Chris. Pups are versatile little critters, and can be used for so many things..!

Yes, you could update to Lupu 5.2.8.7 (Richard Erwin's rebuild of 5.2.8), if you like using it. If you have no objections to waiting a couple of months, Richard's giving it a thorough overhaul, re-building it with the 2.21 glibc, instead of the 2.11 version it currently comes with. I know this is still old by cutting-edge standards, but it will make it a lot more compatible with so much more current software. As an example, it won't, as it stands at present, run a version of Chrome any newer than Chrome 26..! The overhaul is long overdue; normally folks just move to a newer Pup, but Lucid still has a very large following, so Richard's doing what he can to keep 'em happy...

John's suggestion of FatDog64 is a very good one. As I was explaining to somebody else just a couple of days ago over in the Internal Hardware sub-forum, JamesBond & Kirk, the guys behind FatDog, realised, some years ago, that there was no reliable workaround for all the SecureBoot/FastBoot crap in Windows. So they 'bit the bullet' and forked over the necessary $99 fee for a UEFI key from MicroSoft, and haven't looked back since. It does mean that Puppy has now joined the ranks of Linux distros that will boot on a UEFI-equipped Windows computer with no trouble at all, since it's recognised by the secure bootloader.....and JB and Kirk have generously 'shared' that key with most of the other current Puppy developers, so the 64-bit flagship Pups are also capable of doing so (with the possible exception of Tahrpup64, as I don't believe Phil Broughton is intending to do much more with Tahr64; he's devoting most of his time to the much newer XenialPup, based on the current 16.04 LTS release.)

It means, too, that Pups are more capable than ever of being used as 'rescue disks' without all the usual accompanying problems. FatDog will automatically detect whether UEFI or legacy MBR is in use, and boot accordingly.

'It's magic..!'  :P

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With regard to being a typical 'tight-fisted' Scot (  :hysterical: ), and not wanting to waste the extra space on the stick, there's a very easy way to accomplish this..! Puppy searches 'two-deep' at boot time, so will discover Pups installed inside a folder on the stick. So, create however many directories on the stick as you want Pups. Give each one a clear label. For the relevant Pup, locate the ISO image, mount it by clicking on it, then copy the contents across to its folder on the stick. Repeat, until you have all your Pups in place.

Now, run the Grub4DOS bootloader config tool (Menu>System>Grub4DOS bootloader config). Tell it to search only on the USB stick. Follow through the steps (very easy to follow). It'll do its thing, and you'll end up with a Grub menu on the stick which, when you boot from it, will give you the choice of which Pup to use. It's quite happy mixing 32 and 64-bit Pups on the same stick. Doesn't hurt it at all.

Make sure when you format your stick (either ext2 or ext3 will work, though I'll recommend ext3; ext2 has a tendency to corrupt rather easily, despite being the recommendation for flash drives), that you set the boot 'flag'.....otherwise you'll have to go back into gParted, and faff around with things again. No 'biggie', of course, but you'd be amazed at the number of folks who forget this relatively simple step. I still forget to do it myself, at times...!  :blush:

If you want to run these Pups from USB in the same manner as a LiveCD, simply edit 'menu.lst' on the stick to add 'puppypfix=ram' to each Pup's kernel line. That way, they'll load straight into RAM without first searching for a save-file/folder.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 07 November 2016 - 03:56 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 07:54 PM

I will deal with the advice for loading them onto a memory stick at a later date, but I think I have done something wrong. I downloaded the ISO for FatDog 64 v631, checked the MD5 sum, unpacked the ISO with 7-Zip and burnt the files to a CD - and it doesn't self-boot !

My desktop is currently built around an ASUS A88X-Pro mobo which claims on the splash screen to have 'UEFI BIOS' and even if I go in and select the optical drive which is at the head of the boot list it doesn't boot from the CD it just goes to the Grub screen giving me the choice between Mint 18 and Win 7. And yet the Puppy 5.25 disc does self boot on this computer !

Chris Cosgrove

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:00 PM

Actually the latest version is 702. Also, you should not unzip an iso file to burn to disk as doing this loses the boot capability.  On a Windows 7 or later computer right click the iso and select Burn to Disk.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/iso/

#11 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:45 AM

Morning, Chris.

I agree with John. It's a common enough mistake to make; I made it myself, the first couple of times I burnt LiveCDs when I started with Linux, 2 1/2 yrs ago.

You should always just burn the ISO image 'as is'. Your easiest way would be to boot with your Lupu 525 disk (the one you've been using), and then Menu>Multimedia>PBurn. Or there's Burniso2cd. Either will do the job nicely. Many newcomers moan on the Puppy forum that PBurn is a bit 'agricultural', and doesn't have all the shiny, sparkly stuff & options that you get with something like Nero. They're right; it doesn't. It's a basic burner that just gets on with it, and does the job without fuss. I use PBurn all the time.....and I've never had a duff 'burn' yet!

The biggest problem for people starting with Linux is getting that first LiveCD burnt under Windows. Once you have a Linux distro that will consistently boot, they invariably have CDburner tools included, OOTB, for doing just that. For Windows users who don't have a burner program, we normally recommend BurnCDCC, from Terabyteunlimited. It's a tiny freeware utility that does one thing, and one thing only; it burns an ISO image to an optical disc. That's all it does. (And no 'nasties' bundled in with it!)

You don't even install it. You just unzip to somewhere you can find it, then run the .exe file. Simples!

8J2Rfp1.png

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 08 November 2016 - 04:23 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#12 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:53 AM

You can also create a USB (Rescue) Stick if you want... I have created a "Plug and Play Gaming" stick with Linux once :D

The main advantage for me is that USB Sticks act as normal hard disks! I can write to them unlike those pesky DVDs.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 09:00 AM

As far as a USB or DVD with multiple distros Yumi still does not support booting from UEFI. I am looking at Sardu. There is a paid pro version but there is also the free version that requires a registration. I have not tried it yet but will soon.

http://www.sarducd.it/

#14 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 10 November 2016 - 01:30 AM

One Chris to another:

Hi Chris, I currently have on this stick the following isos:

1. Ultimate Edition-5.0 MATE iso

2. Linux Mints 18 – MATE

3. ditto Cinnamon

4. ditto Xfce and

5. ditto KDE

6. Ubuntus 16.04 Unity and

7. ditto MATE

8. antiX-16

9. Maui 1 ‘Aurora’ … picked up from the demise of Netrunner (forked)

10. Fedora … actually Chapeau, a derivative, 24

11. Mageia 6 STA

12. Manjaro 16.10 Xfce

13. Kali Linux

14. Parrot 3.2

15. Linux Mint 17.3 KDE

16. Linux Mint 17.1 KDE and

17. something else … lol

The stick is 64 GB and I have used just less than half of it.

All Distros boot, work Live and install to UEFI or other.

Multisystem is a French offering, works with a hundred or more Linux Distros.

You may see the odd French word here and there in a menu or in the Terminal-style burning process, and they use “Mio” to refer to Mebibytes, but other than that I find it easily understandable.

If it doesn’t support a Distro it will tell you so, and it will support Persistence to one of the Distros on the stick … but you can change that easily to another Distro on the stick. It includes QEMU-Virtual options.

I have been using it for as long as I have been multibooting (over 2 years now), it updates regularly, if you lock it into a ppa in Debian-based Distros.

Multisystem includes a .bat file in its folder for most if not all of the Distros you put on it, and batch file=Windows. It is said to support XP through to Win 10, but I don’t use Windows, so can’t corroborate that.

Multisystem has been around since 2010 or before.

Sing out if you have an interest in it and I can show you an eaiser way to install it on a Debian-based Distro than some of the alternatives you will see around the Net. I use a bash script of my own writing and install it from Distro to Distro. I can expand on it in a separate Topic if there is interest.

Cheers

:wizardball:    Wizard    (Chris Turner)

#15 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 10 November 2016 - 02:20 AM

I just have 2 images on my rescue USB,

• UBCD
  • Hirens

Hasn't failed me yet.