Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Screen Divided and Partially Duplicated by Vertical Color Bars

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Suspicious_Muffin

Suspicious_Muffin

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:54 PM

As the tittle suggests, my display screen on my laptop is divided into two sections by a vertical strip of colored bars. It seems to have duplicated my screen without showing the full resolution of my display, so that I am not able to see the other end.

I've read this may be due to a video card issue, and it may have given up the ghost. I just find it odd that it happened so suddenly after having no troubles with it all day. I hooked it up to an external monitor and the stripe was gone on the external, but still present on the laptop.

I'm kind of tight for cash right now, and if there are any alternative routes that I can investigate that someone has tried before, I would appreciate any help given.

Here are some photos to illustrate the problem:

Ln1oFTy.jpg

jIchwy0.jpg

Edited by Suspicious_Muffin, 06 November 2016 - 04:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 05:22 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

This is sort of a 'Good news - Bad news' scenario. If the ouput from your laptop is driving the external screen as shown in your second photo then there is nothing wrong with the video output. That's the good news. The bad news is that you obviously have a problem, the question is what ?

Downstream from the video driver there are only two significant components - the cable connecting the mobo to the screen and the screen itself. It would be a considerable help if you could post the exact model of your laptop. Visibly it is a Dell Inspiron but there are probably a couple of hundred different models marketed under this name - and they are all different !  With the make and model it may be possible to be more specific.

One possibility which might be worth trying. Search on YouTube for your make and model + screen striping, or something similar.

Post back with the make and model.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Suspicious_Muffin

Suspicious_Muffin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:19 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

This is sort of a 'Good news - Bad news' scenario. If the ouput from your laptop is driving the external screen as shown in your second photo then there is nothing wrong with the video output. That's the good news. The bad news is that you obviously have a problem, the question is what ?

Downstream from the video driver there are only two significant components - the cable connecting the mobo to the screen and the screen itself. It would be a considerable help if you could post the exact model of your laptop. Visibly it is a Dell Inspiron but there are probably a couple of hundred different models marketed under this name - and they are all different !  With the make and model it may be possible to be more specific.

One possibility which might be worth trying. Search on YouTube for your make and model + screen striping, or something similar.

Post back with the make and model.

Chris Cosgrove

Thank you for a warm welcome, and the model of this particular laptop is the Dell Inspiron 5720 17R

17r.jpg

Edited by Suspicious_Muffin, 08 November 2016 - 05:30 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 10 November 2016 - 06:39 PM

Sorry not to reply earlier, i have had a busy couple of days.

I cannot find any reports on a problem similar to yours - horizontal stripes yes but not vertical ones. I am inclined to believe that your screen is faulty which means that it needs to be replaced. it is a job you could do failry easily yourself - there is a very good video here on how to do it :-

There seems to be plenty of replacement screens around at prices about $US 60 - 70. I even found one supplier in the UK selling brand new screens for £65. Just google Dell Inspiron 5720 17R screen.

NOTE -  I think it is your screen but I could be wrong, I haven't seen the laptop. For something like this it would be a good idea to get a 'hands on' second opinion.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Suspicious_Muffin

Suspicious_Muffin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 11:22 PM

It's definitely the screen, I took nearly the entire thing apart today and found that the color stripe was changing based on where I put pressure on the edges of the lcd. At one point I unplugged/replugged the lcd strip and it turned that series of bars all black, and the corresponding duplicate side of the screen. However the stripe remains in any form.

I can't pinpoint the exact problem, the wires are a bit worn and my laptop is fairly old by now, so it could be a number of things at work. I'll probably have to end up replacing the screen. Or the laptop altogether. It's served me well for nearly 5 years now and i'm sure I could find something comparable for even cheaper.

Thanks Chris.

Edited by Suspicious_Muffin, 10 November 2016 - 11:30 PM.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,925 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:11 AM

Don't overlook those questionable cable/ribbon connectors and the ribbon itself.  Would not make you happy to replace the display element and have the same display fault.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users