Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No boot BSOD Error Code: 0xc000000f "A required device isn't connected..."

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KDenning

KDenning

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:38 PM

Hi all,

Thank you for your help in advance.

My computer will not boot up at all. As soon as the power button is pressed, the Dell logo appears for a second and then a blue screen appears. It says "A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed. Error code: 0xc000000f". My computer has a problem where it will crash randomly. It was after one of these crashes that this issue appeared.

I have a attached an image of the screen to this post. If I press Enter to "try again", it shows the Dell symbol with a spinning wheel. After spinning for a bit, it says "Press any button within 8 seconds to skip disk checking". After waiting about 10 minutes, another BSOD appears. The computer then restarts and repeats the cycle.

Here are my computer specs:

-Windows 10

- x64

- Windows 8 was the original os

- The OS was pre-installed

- My computer is about 4 years old

- CPU is Intel i7 generation 3 I believe

- Its a Dell inspiron 5520

- It is a laptop

Thank you so much!! You guys are the best.

-KD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 07 November 2016 - 07:10 AM

I don't see the screen shot attached.

Have you run the Dell diagnostics?  Usually you can access it by tapping F12 at boot, then selecting the diagnostics from the menu that shows up.

What does the BSOD error message say?  Look at the end of the text for the info about the error (it's in alll CAPS and has the underlines between words):  http://www.carrona.org/bsodimg.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 KDenning

KDenning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 07 November 2016 - 01:57 PM

Hi usasma,

Thanks for getting back to me! I attached the picture of the BSOD to this post (got it right this time!). There doesn't seem to be an error message in all caps. This BSOD looks different than others I've seen in the past.

I was able to run Dell diagnostics. An error came up at the end. It said "error code 2000-0142, hard drive short test unsuccessful". It looks like something may be wrong with my hard drive? I attached a picture of the error to this post.

Thanks!

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:44 AM

The Blue Screen that you have isn't a BSOD,  But that's little consolation when you're having that problem.

Please run one of these free hard drive diagnostics.  Make sure that you run the long/extended test.  http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

It's very likely that your hard drive is dying and a new hard drive is the most likely fix.

BACKUP YOUR STUFF NOW!!!  If the hard drive dies it'll be very expensive to recover your data.

Also, if it is dying, the more that you use it - the more likely it is to die completely on you.

Is the system under warranty?

Is it a BIOS or UEFI system? (did it come from the factory w/W8 or above - if so, it's a UEFI system)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users