Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp Desktop - Locking up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mjbcomputers

mjbcomputers

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:51 PM

Ok guys i am getting trolled hard by this desktop. 

HP Pavilion p7-1047c Desktop PC

Has an add-in graphics card - Client brought it in, they tried putting in a low end power supply and that low end gfx card so she could game. Worked for a bit but went down hill.

I get it and it won't turn on nothing.

Did process of elimination tried a new EVGA 400 watt PSU, still nothing. Removed everything connected nothing. So i found a mobo for it. Ordered it.

Installed the new mobo (exact replacement) boots into windows. Runs good for about half a day then locks up. Next i wanted to eliminate anything to do with the OS

So i booted into Gandalf PE same thing, Locks up.  
O and i moved ram around tested 1 by 1 in each slot same result.

But here is something else that is odd. If i remove the add-in gfx card and use the on board, it goes into post but right after displays rainbow fuzz all over the screen

This does not happen when connected to the add-in card.

Now i have the system out of the case and testing, its doing the exact same thing.   I have taken it down to being out of the case nothing connected except the ram,

24 pin main power and 4 pin connector. 

Also to add, i downloaded and put the HP vision diagnostics onto a USB drive to see what would happen. Same thing, never really gets into the interface/program it locks up before that.

I am thinking this desktop has multiple problems with the motherboard being the first issue (which i replaced) and the CPU being bad.

I don't have another CPU to test in this system

What are your guys thoughts. This thing is really doing my head in.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjbcomputers

mjbcomputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 06:06 PM

Hrmm no suggestions?

I just took the old board again, put the processor back in, only hooked up 1 stick of ram same PSU, 4 pin. Will not post any video. Put that same processor and setup into the new motherboard and it post but only runs for a short time and locks up. Also video into that onboard will only display properly in post then goes to that fuzzy ranbow picture.  Checked the pins. No bent pins at all

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 06:38 PM

Uhmmmm !

Its a 4-5yr old system , with possibly more than one issue.

Probably not worth fixing { Ask The Owner to Upgrade } , but you could start from scratch after stripping it down.

1/ Install the New Mobo.

2/ New Ram { Cheap }

3/ CPU - Install New One or try the old again.

4/ Test the old PSU - or Install New One.

5/ Update Bios on Mobo.

6/ Run from Onboard Video First.

7/ Install Windows.

Lastly did you try another Hard Drive ? Maybe the old one is Dying. { Try a SSD to test } .

If all goes well , tell them the old is dead , but they can have this New Setup that works and take a hit in the Pocket.

If they dont want it , give the old back as unreapirable , and sell the working unit.

Edited by Havachat, 06 November 2016 - 06:39 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 07:02 PM

But here is something else that is odd. If i remove the add-in gfx card and use the on board, it goes into post but right after displays rainbow fuzz all over the screen

This does not happen when connected to the add-in card.

According to the specs you have a i5-2400s. This CPU has processor graphics. From all the other issues I would hazard a guess the CPU is the problem.

You can test ram using memtest+86. Run it for at least six passes and at preferably overnight. The UBCD disk also has tests for the CPU.

#5 mjbcomputers

mjbcomputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 07:10 PM

I was thinking the same thing JohnC, since it will display proper graphics if only for a bit with the add-in card. but using onboard that fuzzy rainbow effect. 

@Havechat, I did all this testing with the HD out of the equation at a certain point. I connected her HD to my workstation via USB to Sata connector and imaged it using acronis. So her data is safe.

I tried a complete different set of ram same results. I am thinking its the CPU, Its rare that you see a bad CPU thou.  

3 PSU's all gave me the same results, and i tested the PSU's they all tested good.

Beyond me finding this motherboard that was only 60 dollars. Getting a CPU for it, upgrading the GFX and PSU, it just don't seem reasonable for the client to put that much money into the system.

If it was JUST the mobo and everything else was good. Then cool deal, but i am thinking its a bad cpu aswell. I just wanted to get others opinions on this before i called it.

#6 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 07:17 PM

Thanks for the Added Info , makes more sense , and JohnC maybe right on the CPU { Something I was unaware of } not now.....never to old to keep learning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users