Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive crashed...need advice

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sturg7142

sturg7142

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 07:33 AM

Need some help with a decision please:
Bought the computer, a Dell All-In-One XPS One 2710, in 2012.
Do I repair or replace?

Repair details: replace HD with an SSD, reinstall lost data from external backup, reinstall programs/Windows 10. May need to repurchase and install MS Office, also.

Total Cost for all parts/labor: approx. $400, depending on size needed for new SSD.

OR just start from scratch and buy a new computer.

If new, how do I decide?? PLEASE HELP! Thank you. clear.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:40 AM

If the only component in question is a hard drive...I don't see how costs could total $400.  Windows 10 costs $100 or so at Amazon.  Relacing a hard drive with a SSD doesn't involve anything exotic...just need a program to clone one drive to the other...then replace the hard drive as the boot drive.  Cloning keeps all programs installed.  After SSD is installed...you can then use the old hard drive as a storage container by spending $20 or so on a USB connection/hub device.

If the current system is satisfactory for your computer activities...why would you consider buying a new system?

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:44 PM

You can purchase a 2.5" 480GB SSD at Newegg for as low as $119.

In order to use this in a desktop you will need to purchase a 2.5 caddy to install it in a 3.5 bay.  You can purchase one at Newegg starting at about $12.00.

Unfortunately Louis's Amazon price of $100 or so is actually closer to $200.  Newegg has Windows 10 Pro for $139.  I did a quick search and it does appear that your computer would be compatible with Windows 10.

There will be sales tax, but the shipping looks like it is going to be free.  So you are looking at about $270. plus sales tax. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users