Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using 360 Total Security

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 leis

leis

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 03:09 AM

For sometime I've been running the 360 Total Security (actually I learned about it here after a long haul of Exploit on my computer that the Bleeping Computer guys finally worked it out).

Anyway, it's not a bad AV, I think, and got more popular and aggressive when calling the customer service line (for sure). So, recently within past 2 weeks, I thought I'd go ahead and did the upgrading to the latest running freeware 360 Total Security or Essentials, is what I thought and it was too controlling as to the right away take off on showing computer's missing security or needed same of updates, etc....that that part I can kind of do without as far as just prefer an AV!

So, I went back or from having the lower version before as I mentioned I wanted to upgrade in case I might be missing out on newer and greater protect or whatever, so to this end today I put on a lower version 1020 that I found from a website that offered same, because I didn't find that around at the 360's (manufacturer's site, let alone ask for anything of the sort). So, at this time, my question's as to the memory usage that it seems to go up and up like at right now-21,296K, well a little earlier or all of about 10 mins. ago, it was more 21,336K.
I just think that seems like it's a bit high for being a low maintenance or easier on resources (AV). Anyone have any info. or idea to suggest that's practical or opinion as such, please feel free to reply. And Thanks.

Win. 7 64 bit        AMD Phenom 9650 Prcsr.  QC   2.30 Ghz.    6 GB Ram                Sata     320 HD

Edited by hamluis, 06 November 2016 - 08:45 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 08:10 AM

My advise would be to not use an older version of the software. There have been many bug fixes since 1020 and memory usage may be one of them. If you want 360 Total Security without all the bells and whistles then uninstall 1020 and install 360 Total Security Essentials. Did you install Essentials as the latest version is 8.8.0.1020

https://www.360totalsecurity.com/en/version/360-total-security-essential/

The 1020 version of Total Security was 6.6.1.1020 dated May 2015.

https://www.360totalsecurity.com/en/version/360-total-security/

#3 leis

leis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:04 PM

Yes, I downloaded the Essential version (yesterday) and then I thought I was downloading the other version that left off the Essential part but it was the same format which resorted to the current running May 2015-make one that you show above. I think I will just go ahead then, with the link you provided and install it and see how it makes out.

Thanks.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 04:37 PM

I agree with John and would not recommend using an older version of something as important as anti-virus software. There are reasons for versions upgrades and new releases...to include more effective detection and protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 leis

leis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:08 PM

Thanks for your input and I did go ahead with the link that John provided, installed and it's doing oK.
  It is the (latest) version 
8.8.0.1020  (w/Out the added features of diagnostics, flashing recommends, etc., that I think is the Essential pick). 

And as far as the task manager window under the heading of
Memory Private Working Set shows AV (360 Total Secty.) at 15,484 K.
  The iexplore.exe under that same line-up shows highest usage of
319,616 K and there's total of 3 iexplore.exe's
 and then along comes the
explorer.exe at 14,112 K.  I don't know, I seem to be gravitating to the cpu/memory usage this weekend. Also that one dwm.exe is essential I understand in running windows and it's 21,500 K. Aren't you glad I'm sharing all this info.?     :)

Yeh, thanks again you guys for giving me a (quick) answer or suggestions. It turned out I believe.

On one more thing (not to mock Peter Falk (Columbo)) that's kind of nerdy example, but no, you ever have any issues with scripts or the Internet Explorer doesn't respond or is shutting program down(?) that I seem to consistently keep a running tally of whenever I'm on a particular site, well, it's mainly music sites, Beatport.com for instance, and it's a whopper to give up those Scripts/__ not responding (I forget the official language, after seeing em' every wknd. or whenever so often, I should have 'em memorized, but it can get a little annoying to wait for the flippidy flop window to settle down and then permit my scrolling on or up to get to the next area of website, or whatever. Then like today on Amazon while browsing, it was a trip, I'd scroll with the (neat mouse I got Microsoft wireless) but it was catching up with itself, I'd scroll or hit mouse button one hit to go down and the page would hesitate and then it would jump down and then I'd go back up and finally resorted to using the page up and down keys for calmer treading or scrolling.

Thanks a lot again, Man for the help!

Leis

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:19 AM

Most of the folks here use Chrome, Firefox etc etc. with ad blockers and possibly other blocking addons that reduce the amount of scripts loaded on a page, which also allows for more resources to load other scripts.

I also recommend running a setup with ad blockers at least since it offers more security than IE alone, run faster and has more utility.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:37 PM

10 Ad Blocking Extensions Tested for Best Performance

#8 leis

leis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 11:10 PM

Thanks for your helpful info.

I am appealed to try Firefox browser now that I've posted this thread for some reason and though I've seen or heard many people use it, I was wondering if I download it, to keep IE11 browser going or open until I learn Firefox, or if that makes any sense, I doubt because I'm sure that's an extra twice-load on the resources to have 2 whopping Browsers. Probably it's a run of learning it as I go I would think?

I appreciate your helpful consideration and if you have any gains further to recommend for my getting going with using Firefox and what's the updated or current version, what to expect-maybe, thanks a lot and take care.

Leis

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 11:33 PM

Firefox is very easy to use. I rarely use Internet Explorer at all anymore...just keep it closed.

Firefox: Learn the Basics: get started
Get started with Firefox - An overview of the main features
Make Firefox your default browser

#10 leis

leis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:05 AM

Thanks again man...or Quietman !

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:11 AM

You're welcome.

#12 leis

leis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:27 AM

I was looking at one of the lead on links to show how to improve FFox's speed once using it, that is.

I think that I can start this process in due time, like, or on the weekend.

I was wondering if programs like Ccleaner is used. I also keep a newly (well you may not go for it or you know, it's all about taste or likes) but the GWX written for computers not wanting 10 windows version, and I just wondered if those are like any other programs or software one runs that wouldn't have any effect on the browser, if that kind of makes clarity?

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 05:41 AM

CCleaner is a system privacy and cleaning tool that removes unused, temporary and junk files from your system to include temporary Internet files, cookies, erases private data in browser history, etc. Use of the cleaning feature is recommended to delete such files in order to improve performance, reclaim space and even help speed up scans performed by security tools.

While CCleaner is safe and useful for removing temporary, privacy related and junk files, I do not, recommend using the built-in registry cleaning feature. In the past, AV Comparatives said this about registry cleaning software.

Some "classic clean-up software" such as "Ccleaner" are classified as "Useless" in this database because the Windows registry does not need any maintenance except if you are victim of a malware infection and because tweaking the windows registery does not speed up a computer at all. It does not mean that Cleaner and similar tools are not good for sweeping your harddrive and help to keep your privacy. Registry cleaners have been become social engineering products (e.g. Iobit Advanced System Care, CCleaner, Wise Registry Cleaner, etc.) and paying for this particular function is just a waste of money

In fact, Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

To improve speed and performance, refer to these links...With that said, we are going off topic in regards to your original question pertaining to 360 Total Security

#14 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 09 November 2016 - 07:03 AM

Hi, @leis:

I guess this thread is drifting off-topic, but since you're the OP.... :wink:

...CCleaner is a great tool.  I have been using it for years (but not the registry cleaning feature). 

However, based on the consensus over years at one of the busiest (if not THE busiest) mozilla USER fora, I do NOT let it touch Firefox.

Opinions on this vary, and it's certainly up to you, but Firefox is quite capable of cleaning up after itself.

Over the years, there have been lots of reports of broken Firefox profiles because of tools like CCleaner.

So, my personal suggestion as just a home user and longtime CCleaner and Firefox user would be NOT to use CCleaner to clean Firefox.

Firefox is VERY fast. If you experience problems with slowness, they most likely originate in your profile (not in the program itself), especially excessive numbers of add-ons/extensions, outdated or broken extensions, outdated or improperly configured plug-ins, security software conflicts, toolbars, adware, malware and a myriad of other, potential issues.

If that's the case, there are methodical, step-wise procedures to diagnose and fix "slowness" and other problems.

Two good places to start:

Standard diagnostic - Firefox

and

Fix slowness, crashing, error messages and other problems

Cheers,

MM

#15 leis

leis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:29 AM

Thanks for your info. MM and I trust with Quietman's judgment on this FF, I just have to go ahead and venture to the new browser and it appears if what you guys seem to say, I wouldn't need to worry about having CCleaner (which is also an older version I've been running because of the newer one it seemed quite different as I recall). But anyway, if Firefox is fast than I need to get going with the downloading process and just take it as it goes and learn and follow the links you guys have nicely provided by the way, thanks!

Take Care,

Leis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users