Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Access points randomly stop working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Proser

Proser

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 05 November 2016 - 10:09 PM

I have a Netgear CM500 cable modem and a Netgear Nighthawk X6 AC3200 router. I have Comcast cable internet with 100Mbps download. The coax is connected to the modem, the modem is connected to the router, and the router is connected to the Ethernet port in the wall (not sure what you call it, but this Ethernet port is the one that makes the switch work).

I have a large house, so I bought 3 Netgear dual-band 802.11ac access points, because the router does not cover the house sufficiently. I have Ethernet ports in most rooms of my house, and the access points are plugged in to those ports. I have a TP-Link 24-port Gigabit network switch.

Everything will be working great. Then, the internet speed coming from all of the access points slows to a crawl, all at once. Like 0.02 Mbps. When I try to reset the access points, I can connect to them wirelessly, but the device says “no internet connection.” Not even the super slow speed I was getting before attempting the reset.

Meanwhile, the speed coming from the router is normal. I have my desktop plugged in directly to the router, and it works fine. Also, if you plug a device directly into one of the ports where the access points are located, the speed is normal. The switch shows the ports to be active. I have tried replacing the switch, but the problem persists. I assume the problem is not a defective access point, since all three of them stopped working simultaneously, in exactly the same manner.

This has happened three times now in about a month. The first two times, I had a guy from a local tech company come to my house. He was pretty mystified but got the network running again after disconnecting EVERYTHING—even the Ethernet cables from the switch—and then starting them back up one by one. The only theory he could come up with is that the router is very complex and finicky and it’s just not playing nicely with the access points.

I have tried unplugging and restarting everything this time, but it hasn’t worked. Also, I am tired of paying someone to come out here every two weeks, with nothing being fixed permanently. The tech guy suggested if I keep having the same problem to switch to Airport Extreme. I would rather not do that, since I just bought this high-priced router and a bunch of access points.

I have always been able to muddle around and set up my home wi-fi networks at other places I’ve lived without too much trouble, but I am solidly out of my depth here. I appreciate your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:10 PM

Have you tried updating the firmware on all of the devices?

#3 Proser

Proser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:38 AM

Have you tried updating the firmware on all of the devices?

I know the router firmware is updated. I can't check the access points because I don't know how to log in to them. I followed the instructions on Netgear's website, but kept getting an error message when I typed in the IP address for the access point in my browser.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 07:55 PM

Most likely their ip addresses were changed at install.  You may need to set them back to factory so you can access and resetup

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:24 AM

You may be able to check the router for devices that received a DHCP IP address.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users