Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

spam phishing?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AndyP5000

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 05 November 2016 - 08:48 PM

Just had an odd email from something It says I have subscribed to but have not. ( can see it the preview of the message in gmail) I have not opened it.

... hello at gather dot network

Was wondering if this is on any spam phish listings or if anyone knows what it is? My google search results are non conclusive.

Sorry if this is wrong part of forum please remove if in wrong place.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,646 posts
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:07 AM

If you havent subscribed to it then dont reply. If you do (even to "unsubscribe") then they know they have a real live email and will continue to send junk.

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#3 quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,733 posts
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 10 November 2016 - 09:18 PM

How to spot a Phishing scam:

All About Phishing

At first glance, it may not be obvious that you have not received a legitimate e-mail. The "From" field of the e-mail may have the .com address of the company mentioned in the e-mail, and the clickable link may also appear to be taking you to the company's Web site when in fact take it redirects to a spoof Web site...

Phishing e-mails will contain some of these common elements:
  • The "From Field" appears to be from the legitimate company mentioned in the e-mail. It is very simple to change the "from" information in any e-mail client if you know how.
  • The e-mail will usually contain logos or images that have been taken from the Web site of the company mentioned in the scam e-mail.
  • The e-mail will contain a clickable link with text suggesting you use the inserted link to validate your information.  It may also state something like "Log-in to Citibank" or "www.citibank.com/secure" to be even more misleading. This clickable area is only text and can be changed to anything the sender wants it to read.
  • Logos used may not always be an exact match to the company's logo.
  • There may be spelling errors, percentage signs followed by numbers or @ signs within the hyperlink, random names or e-mail addresses in the body of the text, or even e-mail headers which have nothing to do with the company mentioned in the e-mail.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users