Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC FREEZES WHEN UPTIME HITS 24 HOURS EXACTLY EVERYTIME.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Stoogie

Stoogie

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 05 November 2016 - 08:19 PM

PC freezes when uptime hits 24 hours exactly everytime.

tried heaps of other things, then reinstalled windows 10 (latest updates for everything) and it still happens, has to be a motherboard issue, bios is 1603.

Asus Maximus VI Hero

never did it before anniversary update 1607

full pc specs(copied from steam):
CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass Anthracite Gray + CableMod AXi Kit Light Green + 5x CableMod SATA3 Cable Light Green(4x30cm 1x60cm). 
FANS: Thermaltake Riing Green 140mm Rear, 2x Stock Phanteks 140mm Front. 
LEDS: 1x CableMod WideBeam Magnetic LED Strip UV 60cm + 1x CableMod WideBeam Magnetic LED Strip GREEN 60cm. 
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB @ 2100mhz core 9216mhz mem. 
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.4ghz, 1.24v, 4 Physical Cores 8 Logical Cores, HT on. 
CPU WATERCOOLING: Corsair Hydro H100i + 2x Thermaltake Riing Green 120mm Fans. 
PSU: Corsair AX1200i. 
UPS: CyberPower PFC Sinewave 1300 VA / 780 Watts UPS. 
MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Hero. 
MEM: 16gb(2x8gb) G.Skill Trident DDR3 @ 2400mhz 10-12-12-31-2N Timings, 1.65v. 
SOUND: SupremeFX Realtek ALC1150 Onboard. 
HARD DRIVES: Total 6.74tb, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD(Main), Corsair Neutron XT 240GB SSD(Games), 1x Western Digital WD20EARS 2tb 5400RPM(Trash), Toshiba MD04ACA400 4TB 7200RPM(Data), Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD(Random). 
EXTERNAL: Western Digital Elements 4tb(Data Backup). 
MONITORS: ASUS PG279Q ROG Swift 27in 165Hz G-Sync IPS Gaming Monitor 2560x1440 + LG 25UM57 25inch UltraWide IPS LED Monitor 2560x1080. 
SPEAKERS: Swan M10 White + Logitech Z-5500, Setup as 7.2 Surround. 
HEADPHONES: Audio-Technica ATH-A500X + FiiO E10K DAC/AMP + Audio-Technica Headphone Hook Holder. 
MIC: Blue Microphones Snowball USB Microphone Brushed Aluminium +White Desk Mic Arm. 
KEYBOARD: Corsair K65 LUX RGB Ten Key Less Mechanical Keyboard Cherry Red + 40A-R orings from WASD. 
MOUSE: Razer DeathAdder Chroma @ 400dpi. 
MOUSEPAD: Razer Goliathus Large Speed. 
GRAPHICS TABLET: Wacom Intuos 5 Pro Medium. 
CHAIR: AK-Racing Prime Series Black/Green. 
DESK: Contour Loop Leg Desk White and Chrome from Officeworks + Side table of same height.

No logs of any kind, no dumps, nothing, frozen image repeated sound, sometimes goes BSOD Fatal Store Exception.

anyone have any ideas? the only solution i can find is to buy a new pc.

tried for months to fix and cant...

Edited by Stoogie, 05 November 2016 - 08:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,132 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 08:39 PM

tried heaps of other things,

What exactly did you try ?

Please reply using normal print...the black background makes for difficult reading

Edit...Spelling

Edited by Condobloke, 05 November 2016 - 08:43 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Stoogie

Stoogie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 08:51 PM

Sorry the chrome addon 'care your eyes' did it automatically and still is -_-!

I tried isolating every driver and updating them, i tried multiple regedits, task schedule edits, mine you i had to wait 24 hours each time i change something to test it.

This motherboard had a clock issue beforehand until one of the later bioses which fixed it, so maybe the bios clock cant go past 24 hours so it crashes?

Edited by Stoogie, 05 November 2016 - 08:52 PM.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,913 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 05 November 2016 - 09:19 PM

I would try a factory reset to default, and replace the CMOS battery while you're at it.  A default makes the BIOS load from the firmware and not the flash BIOS chip.  This loads into the flash a fresh factory BIOS that should get things back into some kind of square one.  A system disk would help to do a repair and see where the registry went wrong.

#5 Stoogie

Stoogie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 10:06 PM

before the bios would stop updating the time and keep reverting back to what it started at, the new bios fixed that, but there is no newer bios for windows 10 or anniversary so now its broken at 24 hours.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33895-Hero-Time-Clock-Problem

i tried everything to fix it before hand, apparently a lot of people had this problem with those current asus motherboards,

cmos battery is fine, have removed it before then back again to reset and it still does it.

how do u "load from firmware and not the flash bios chip"

i can only reflash it again but it may bring up previous issue as the fresh default bioses are faulty.

Edit: is there a way to force change windows uptime after boot?

Edited by Stoogie, 06 November 2016 - 12:30 AM.

#6 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 01:57 AM

I see you've posted on 3 forums now hoping for solution.

I take it you meant Unexpected Store Exception and not Fatal Store Exception?

Perhaps this may give you a few more things to look at

https://www.reddit.com/r/24hoursupport/comments/3fowim/windows_10_periodic_every_24hrs_unexpected_store/

Also if Fast startup is enabled uptime will not be reset.  Win 10 shutdown is just a 'pretend/suspend' shutdown.

A restart is the equivalent of the old 'cold boot'

If you want the uptime reset when you shutdown your PC then turn off Fast Startup.

#7 Stoogie

Stoogie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:49 AM

Ah yes i did disable fast startup before reinstall and it didnt fix the 24 hour thing, but yes that will help me fix it by restarting before it goes over 24 hours thanks for reminding me opera. and i did look at that thread on reddit before but it didnt help but i'll look again(nope nothing works)
yes unexpected store exception not fatal sorry, hard to remember

yes 3 forums because this is driving me insane since i have to wait 24 hours to test 1 thing at a time

i also tried whocrashed but you cant use it since it refuses to save dump files.

also tried page file on every hdd/ssd still nope

crystalmark says all drives are good 100%

Edited by Stoogie, 06 November 2016 - 02:57 AM.

#8 Stoogie

Stoogie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 03:01 AM

i will never buy asus motherboards again, since i baught it i had issues constant d2 refuse to boot so i could never turn it off because if i did i had to usb flash the bios to turn it on again(manage to fix with bios update), then constant frozen bios clock issue(managed to fix with newer bios update), now this... most likely from latest bios and not anniversary update since i did both at same time.

asus engineers need to make a new fixed bios, this cannot be resolved any other way

i dont know how uptime works, but bios refuses to store day value in memory, since when day value changes from 0 to 1 it dies

Edited by Stoogie, 06 November 2016 - 03:03 AM.

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,913 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:42 AM

Most units either have a default setting in the BIOS and some have a hardware jumper to set the defaults.  That will force the BIOS chip to unload into the flash.  This is uncorrupted BIOS, without any updates or upgrades.  I have seen a huge number of both BIOS and OS updates causing lots of problems, whether from corrupted sites of just flaky downloads, they really are a headache.

#10 Stoogie

Stoogie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:55 AM

I updated the main C ssd firmware to the latest with Samsung Magician software.

Also reset bios  but its still on 1603 as the only way to change it is to reflash it down.

did:

1. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord (on notebooks remove all accus).
  2. Press the Power On/Off button (PC-Case) 3-5(did 10+) times to discharge the mainboard condensers.
  3. Remove the coin cell battery (CMOS battery).
  4. Move the CMOS-Jumper to his clear-position (read your mainboard manual to find the jumper).
  5. Wait ~ 15 seconds (the longer the better).(i waited over 12 minutes)
  6. Move the CMOS-Jumper to his default position.
  7. Insert the coin cell battery (CMOS battery).
  8. Plug the power cord (on notebooks insert all accus).
  9. Turn ON the computer, enter the BIOS-Setup and load the "Setup Defaults/Optimized Settings".
  10. Save the BIOS settings and restart the computer.

have to wait 24 hours again to test, answer will likely be still freezing.

Edit: last time it froze at 1 day 15 minutes, so its always at or past 1 day there abouts, the comp actually didnt freeze, explorer froze, my network data froze, sound would loop if theres any playing, could still move mouse but clicks dont work. let it sit for 5 mins still could move mouse then did hard reset since it wouldnt fully crash and i couldnt do anything anyway.

Edited by Stoogie, 07 November 2016 - 06:31 AM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:23 PM

Do you see anything in Event Viewer that could give a hint on what is causing the freeze? 

#12 Stoogie

Stoogie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:44 PM

Nothing gets written to the event viewer in regards to this. i will now list everything in the event viewer:

The only things in event viewer(system) are these, but these happen after startup, and 1 hour 20 mins after then 2 mins after then 1 hour 10 mins after then 1 hour 35 mins after there abouts periodically infinitely.

(note this is a fresh install of windows 10 with all updates)

warning:
event 219, kernel-pnp
The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&0.

warning:
event 414, TaskScheduler
Task Scheduler service found a misconfiguration in the NT TASK\SafeZone scheduled Autoupdate 1478222792 definition. Additional Data: Error Value: C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\SZBrowser\launcher.exe.

warning:
Event 11, Wininit
Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications. Please visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197571 for more information.

the only application error is upon booting into windows:
event 1, steam client service
Error: Failed to add firewall exception for C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\bin\steamwebhelper.exe

^^which i believe is a timing issue for loading into windows too fast, it then corrects itself.

as far as i know from limited research these are all normal and unfixable and they have no affect on the OS.

Edited by Stoogie, 07 November 2016 - 04:52 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:20 PM

Is there any yellow exclamation mark next to a System Device in Device Manager? It seems the ACPI driver error is common to ASUS.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?49064-Event-219-Driver-WUDFRd-failed-to-load-for-the-device-ACPI-PNP0A0A-2-amp-daba3ff-amp-1

If Event Viewer shows nothing run Process Manager just before you think a freeze is imminent. There are a number of videos explaining it's use.

#14 Stoogie

Stoogie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 06:35 AM

Hi John i took your advice and looked on the internet for about 4-5 more hours or more and used the program Autoruns and Process Manager by sysinternals

'Is there any yellow exclamation mark next to a System Device in Device Manager? It seems the ACPI driver error is common to ASUS.' :      No yellow mark for acpi computer or the system devices including AMDA00 interface

I managed to get past 1 day uptime im now at 1 day 6 hours 8 minutes and about to head to bed, but what i did was:

1. disable hardware acceleration in Internet Explorer web browser program
2 installed updated chipset drivers 'Intel Chipset V10.1.1.7 for Win10 32bit&64bit' from asus us website and installed and restarted. https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_HERO/HelpDesk_Download/
3. Task Scheduler service found a misconfiguration in the NT TASK\SafeZone scheduled Autoupdate 1478222792 definition. Additional Data: Error Value: C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\SZBrowser\launcher.exe.  <<delete in windows task scheduler.
4. deleted 'one drive uninstall start entry' YELLOW(missing) in Autoruns (since i disabled onedrive and uninstalled it previously i believe)
5. ran Autorunsc cmd thing accidently, which apparently turned back on 3 of 5 of these Autorun Entries under Task Scheduler:(and also apparently writes a log somehow to somewhere o_O woops lol)
\Microsoft\Windows\DiskFootprint\StorageSense
\Microsoft\Windows\MemoryDiagnostic\RunFullMemoryDiagnostic
\Microsoft\Windows\NetTrace\GatherNetworkInfo
\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Schedule Scan
\Microsoft\Windows\WCM\WifiTask

all of which are highlighted red without signed drivers(red = no signed driver, yellow = doesn't exist so just delete it), however didnt restart so if they were on restart they havent happened yet.

I then ran ProcessMonitor by sysinternals and set up a log directory to a drive and let it log everything over 4 hours starting  23 hours 50 minutes uptime till a while ago, it used a little over 1gb per minute of logs, so thats about half a terabyte of logs.

they showed nothing since it didnt freeze or crash

Now unless processmonitors ssd writing prevented the periodic crash at that specific time then this issue may be fixed.

I will go to sleep and leave it on and see if its on in the morning, will update if it pasts 2 days. Hope this helps anyone

amazing programs btw those sysinternal ones. :)

EDIT: One last question:
Is it ok to leave Windows Driver Foundation on its default trigger manual state as i've read conflicting information saying both yes and no, some say its ok while some say setting it to automatic can fix issues including freezing
http://i.imgur.com/LZdIsAq.jpg

Edited by Stoogie, 09 November 2016 - 06:50 AM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 10:38 AM

Sorry, I am not familiar enough with the Windows Driver Foundation Service. But, I would recommend one thing and that is to turn off Windows 10 auto driver update. You can try automatic and see what happens. I believe you saw the suggestion on this thread, correct?

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users