Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Leeches...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jaketrophotometry

jaketrophotometry

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:06 AM

is there a really basic (basic in a 'it would be nicer if i didn't have to download additional software' kinda way) to find out if someone in my immediate area is spong(e)ing off my personal wireless network and who they are?

if there is software available that won't detonate my wallet but would do a really thorough job, i'm game for that too.

thanks for taking the time.

jktro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:33 AM

I suggest you might start off by reading this short item at C/Net News while you wait for other responses.

I'd be more concerned with protecting my system to start out rather than attempting to track down interlopers.

:thumbsup:
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,392 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 06 September 2006 - 08:20 AM

What type of security do you have enabled on your wireless network? There are quite a few methods of securing your wireless network. Lets start out by telling us what security youhave enabled and the make and model of your wireless router.

#4 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:22 PM

Netstumbler is a good way to find access points around you, it's also a good way to see if your own network is secured, sensing someone else using your network is a lot trickier than just making your network sealed. Most routers have an option to "hide" your network, and you can also assign a wireless key to your network, I would suggest doing some of the latter options before you start trying to track them with malicious intent ;)

#5 madnlooney

madnlooney

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:24 AM

i know on my belkin if you go into the router menu i can see what ip addresses are connected to the router. so if you see one which shouldnt be on there someone might be on it if u have no security

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,392 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:25 PM

The easiest and will cut down on the majority of thefts is to disable the broadcasting of your SSID. Also if you have a few computers that are supposed to be using it, restrict who can use it based upon the mac address. You can find the mac address in windows by clicking on start, run, typing cmd and pressing enter. Then type ipconfig /a

Look for the output that talks about your wireless addapter and write down the long funny string. Will looking something like this: 00-08-A1-1E-FC-84

Then you can input those numbers into your wireless security screen of the router and restrict access to only those mac addresses.

#7 scraphog

scraphog

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:50 AM

log into the router via web page adn access the LAn statistics, most display connections by mac address and netbios name (PC Name). then set up access controls by ip address, netbios name or mac address to allow only those "friendlies".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users