Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC hangs and "forgets" graphics card upon wake

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Danja91

Danja91

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 05 November 2016 - 05:45 PM

Hello,

I'm having an issue with my PC that I'm having trouble resolving. Every two or three times that I try to wake it from sleep, it hangs. The hang usually occurs on the Windows 10 lock screen (so I can't even get to the password input screen). Sometimes, if I'm quick to click through the lockscreen, I'm able to type in my password and it hangs and stops responding before I finish typing. Very rarely, it freezes immediately after I log in. The freezes are just that - no BSOD, but the computer just stops responding to any sort of input short of a hard reset via holding down the power button.

The interesting thing about the hang is that every single time, a reproducible behavior happens: When I turn on the power again, the fan on my graphics card revs up to maximum speed and no signal comes through the card. I have to pull out the HDMI cable from the AMD card and plug it into the motherboard HDMI jack, which starts to produce a signal after a couple seconds. In order to get the video card working again, I have to go to power -> Shut Down, and then manually turn on the computer again. Any other way of rebooting, such as power -> Restart, holding down the power button, or pressing the "restart" button on the case, fails to restore the graphics card functionality. After I restart, the video signal no longer comes through the mobo and I have to plug the HDMI cable back into the jack on the graphics card, at which point the system functions normally until it decided to hang again in 2 or 3 sleep/wake cycles.

Looking at the Event Viewer, there is an error that happens pretty often:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
{8D8F4F83-3594-4F07-8369-FC3C3CAE4919}
 and APPID 
{F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169}
 to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

It usually happens hours before the hang, but I wonder if it's the cause of the lockup that happens before I try to wake the PC.

I'm attaching the Sysnative zip file; the performance monitor says "collecting data for 60 seconds" but never finishes what it's doing. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

Attached Files

Edited by Danja91, 06 November 2016 - 05:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:32 AM

Your UEFI/BIOS (version x) dates from 2015.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a more recent update.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

You have 5 hard drives.  What is the make/model/wattage and age of your Power Supply?

These devices have issues in Device Manager:

Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Virtual Miniportpter for Windows x64    ROOT\NET\0000    This device is disabled.
UX2    USB\VID_0E41&PID_4151\6&3A21CCE1&0&1    The drivers for this device are not installed

If it's no longer needed, please uninstall the Cisco stuff from Control Panel...Programs and Features

If it is needed, please enable it and then update the program to the latest W10 compatible version available from the Cisco website

As for the other device, it appears to be a Line 6 UX2 device.  Please either physically remove that device from your system or install the latest, W10 compatible drivers for it.

Earlier versions of BitDefender 2016 had some problems.  Please be sure to update to the latest, W10 compatible version from the BitDefender website.

MSI Afterburner and Riva Tuner (along with EVGA Precision) are known to cause BSOD's in some Windows systems (it's driver is usually RTCore64.sys).  Please un-install them immediately!

If you're overclocking, please stop the overclock while we're troubleshooting.  Feel free to resume the overclock once the system has been stabilized.

Beyond that, please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Please start with the video tests, but complete ALL of them and let us know the results

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users