Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install Lubuntu or New Distros on my Laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 alex984

alex984

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 05 November 2016 - 03:24 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 1721 and I want to install Lubuntu 16.10 on it I created a bootable usb to install I used Universal usb installer version 1.93 to create it and i rebooted my laptop and when it got to the main menu to install it ( Try Lubuntu without installing or Install Lubuntu) I selected Install Lubuntu and I got a gray screen with a blinking cursor and I got black lines saying Bios Cache not cleared clearing this bit I let it sit for a few minutes but nothing is happening how can I fix this so I can install Lubuntu or other new distros on my old laptop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,657 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 04:27 PM

Download and install this one instead, this is a direct link:

http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/trusty/release/lubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso

Edited by pcpunk, 05 November 2016 - 04:28 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,657 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 04:48 PM

16.10 is a short term release and only good until July of 2017.  16.04 and many of the newer Ubuntu's are likely to new for your Graphics, and that is why you are having troubles Installing.  This is the simplest answer for you now, if you can't install 14.04.1 please tell us and we'll look for some answers.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,789 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 04:56 PM

16.10 is a short term release and only good until July of 2017.  16.04 and many of the newer Ubuntu's are likely to new for your Graphics, and that is why you are having troubles Installing.  This is the simplest answer for you now, if you can't install 14.04.1 please tell us and we'll look for some answers.

I dunno those old cards should be covered by the open drivers but yes let's see a reply

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,657 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 06:17 PM

@alex984, sorry...should have mentioned 14.04.1 is a LTS Long Term Support Release, good until April of 2019.  Let's hope it will install easier on that machine.  16.04 is the newer one but I don't think that one will work if 16.10 don't.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 03:08 AM

@alex984 - hi, and :welcome: to BC and to the Linux & Unix section.

Let us know some details about your "old laptop" - make and model &c. Also if you are running Windows with it, and which?

Cheers

:wizardball: Wizard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users