Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this a virus or a Windows issue?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tigerprowl

tigerprowl

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 05 November 2016 - 03:05 PM

A couple nights ago, my screen when "negative" on me. There was a black background to everything. I think websites loaded normally, but I didn't spend much time worrying about it. I then logged in with another account and since I normally don't use it much, it pretty much looks like the default Windows 7.

I am back on the first account with the background issue and noticed that it seems like the theme was changed. I changed it to Windows 7 default, and I like to use it with "Best Performance" in the advanced window of the computer settings. Looking at the desktop, I noticed that my files are missing except shortcuts which may have been placed there after installation. However, files I made like .jpg's .rtf and movie files (.avi) are not there.

So, I did a search through the C drive and saw that they are now in a subfolder called "desktop".

C:\Users\*computername*\Desktop\Desktop\*filename*

Does this seem like a normal thing for Windows 7 to do if a theme has been changed? I wasn't specifically installing anything at the time my computer changed themes and I was not in that area.

If it is a virus, it seems like an awfully benign issue. I regularly keep the computer clean and have done virus scans before with AVG and nothing has come up.

Has anyone else experienced something like this with just Windows 7 being Windows 7? I might take a test USB and just pop it in to see if the hard drive writes to it something.

Any comments welcome on this mystery.

Edited by hamluis, 05 November 2016 - 03:57 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:46 AM

Is this copy of Windows activated?

Edited to add the following.

To see if the operating system is activated open the Start menu and right click on Computer, select properties from the menu that opens.

Activations will be found toward the bottom of the page.

Edited by dc3, 06 November 2016 - 09:48 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ACupOfCoffee

ACupOfCoffee

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:59 AM

That folder location is similar to the one used when a user account is deleted and the option to save its files is selected.

Has anything happened to the contents of Documents, Downloads, Pictures, or Videos?

It's still possible it's malware despite AVG giving the all clear. No antivirus program can catch everything.

#4 tigerprowl

tigerprowl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:42 PM

Is this copy of Windows activated?

Edited to add the following.

To see if the operating system is activated open the Start menu and right click on Computer, select properties from the menu that opens.

Activations will be found toward the bottom of the page.

It says it is activated. I have had this computer since June ~28 last year, 2015. I bought it new from a store.

#5 tigerprowl

tigerprowl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:49 PM

That folder location is similar to the one used when a user account is deleted and the option to save its files is selected.

Has anything happened to the contents of Documents, Downloads, Pictures, or Videos?

It's still possible it's malware despite AVG giving the all clear. No antivirus program can catch everything.

As far as I see, nothing has been changed, only moved. There are only 5 or so files I really need, the rest are from external hard drives which I haven't used in months. Seems strange, if it is from the external hard drives, to be an issue now.

Edited by tigerprowl, 06 November 2016 - 02:50 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:52 PM

There have been instances where file corruption has resulted in the operating system no longer being recognized as activated.  With a Windows operating system that hasn't been activated within the thirty day time limit it results in a very limited number of apps. and a black desktop with the icons visible.  This is why I wanted to know if it was activated.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users