Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FORMATING C: DRIVE

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Chris4835

Chris4835

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 05 November 2016 - 01:49 PM

I was just now able to install Windows 10 on my old computer. It had Windows XP on the C: drive. Then I added another drive which Windows labeled J: drive and installed Windows 7 on it.

Now I would like to format the C; drive, which has XP on it, but Windows will not let me. Can someone tell me how to do that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 05 November 2016 - 05:02 PM

You should be able to do this just using Windows Explorer. At the moment XP is on C:\ and win 7 is on J:\ ?

Open Explorer while in Win 7 and rename the C:\ drive to I:\, then rename the J:\ drive to C:\ so that your Win 7 OS is on drive C:\. Then you should be able to right click on drive I:\ - which now is the one with XP on it - and select 'Format'. A 'Quick' format should be sufficient.

If this doesn't work, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 05 November 2016 - 05:16 PM

Boot your computer into Windows 10 and open System Configuration by typing Msconfig into Start Menu Search box. From Boot tab found Windows XP boot entire and delete it click Apply button and click OK button. Open Disk Management console by typing Diskmgmt.msc into Start Menu search box. From opened Disk Management console delete Windows XP partition and reboot your computer.

Posted Image

#4 ACupOfCoffee

ACupOfCoffee

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:38 AM

Could it be that Windows 10 installed on C over XP? The most logical reason he can't format a drive would be because he is booted from it.

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 01:39 PM

Boot your computer into Windows 10 and open System Configuration by typing Msconfig into Start Menu Search box. From Boot tab found Windows XP boot entire and delete it click Apply button and click OK button. Open Disk Management console by typing Diskmgmt.msc into Start Menu search box. From opened Disk Management console delete Windows XP partition and reboot your computer.

According to his post, he does not have Windows 10 on his computer.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 ACupOfCoffee

ACupOfCoffee

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 01:42 PM

He said he was just able to install it. To me that means he did it already. I admit he does then go on and talk like he didn't.

OP, could you please clarify this point?

#7 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:28 PM

IF THINGS WERE ONLY THAT SIMPLE, CHRIS. I did exactly as you said. but windows 10 would still no let me format, what now is the I:\ drive except Windows displays it as( I:\) (C:) I've attached a screenshot showing the way Windows shows it now

I also went to disk management but could not format or delete the c drive there either.

As for some of the other comments: I did install Windows 10 as an upgrade on the HD that had Windows 7 on it. And Windows XP is on my second hard  drive. I'm pretty sure than one could not  upgrade XP to Windows 10, the free version at least not

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 04:14 PM

I should have wondered why, when you said you had Win 7, your topic was in the Win 10 section !  And to add to the problem, your screenshot hasn't come through either !

You are allowed to post screenshots in this section of BC so if you are having a problem with this you could try uploading the image to the cloud service of your choice - Imgur, Dropbox, Google, whatever - and then all you have to do is paste the link to the image into your next post. This would be very useful information.

Don't worry - the simple method didn't work, there are plenty of others, but let's see this screenshot before we all go any further.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#9 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:31 AM

The reason I'm posing in this forum is that I'm running windows 10. The screenshot only shows the following, after I renamed the two drives:

I:\( C:)  and C:\ (J:). In other words neither drive was re-named, I is still C: and C: is still J: All I want to do is format the (C:) drive.

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:03 AM

By default Windows assigns C: drive letter to Windows installed partition that computer booted with. So if you have boot your computer with Windows 10 the booted Windows 10 installed partition will be assign the C: partition and all other partitions gets random drive letters even if some of those partitions may have operating system install on them. When you double click C: partition from  This PC window do you see Users directory if yes then C: partition assign to booted Windows 10.

Posted Image

#11 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:46 PM

That is exactly right. Except the computer was bought with Windows XP installed, so it got the C letter.

But a few years later I added a second hard drive and installed Windows 7 on it and Windows assigned it the  J letter.  Then I could boot into either operating system Now I no longer need Windows XP That is why I want to format the hard drive with XP on it. I hope this makes it crystal clear now..

#12 ACupOfCoffee

ACupOfCoffee

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:52 PM

We know that, but Windows 7 should call its own drive C.

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:45 PM

Are you sure you are dual booting Windows XP and Windows 10. A dual boot system is a computer system in which two operating systems are installed on the same hard drive, allowing either operating system to be loaded and given control. When you turn the computer on, a boot manager program displays a menu, allowing you to choose the operating system you wish to use.

Why have you not answer my question boot your computer with Windows 10 and from This PC windows double click C: partition do you see Users folder or Document and Settings folder?

Posted Image

#14 ACupOfCoffee

ACupOfCoffee

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:25 PM

All right, I know this is frustrating and it seems like we're asking for irrelevant info, but I don't think any of the three of us helping you is quite confident of which drive has what or which drive is which. The normal reason for not being able to format a drive is that you're running from it. It sounds weird, but 99 times out of 100 when you have two versions of Windows on the same computer each version will call its own drive C:. It can make things confusing. I've created this little script that will write a text file telling us first, which drive you're running off of, and second, what is on each drive. Finding out what's on each drive is the easiest way to distinguish between Windows XP and Windows 10 as they each name certain folders differently. Please run it and either upload the text file or copy and paste its contents into a reply. We won't really be able to tell you how to proceed without this information

Thanks

Attached File  test.bat   62bytes   3 downloads

#15 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE; We know that, but Windows 7 should call its own drive C.) BOTH cannot use the same drive letter.

NOT IF THERE ALREADY IS ANOTHHER OPERATING SYSTEM, Windows XP,  IN THE COMPUTER that uses the C:letter.That's why Windows 7 was given the drive letter J:. And I upgraded Win. 7 to Win. 10 now.

​I can still dual boot my computer. I can boot into win. 10 and then access the other drive C: just fine. Except I cannot format it or delete any of it's Widows files. I already deleted all my personal files from it.
  •  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users