Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defragmentation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 busygal

busygal

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:51 AM

Ok i have windows xp and i have been trying to defrag and this is the message error i get:

disk defrag has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run volume:© please run chkdsk/f.

what the heek does that mean? what do i do next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 snooker

snooker

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:06 AM

Hi ... It means your computer want to check with a scan on your f drive for bad sector / errors , At which time it will try to correct , So if I was you ? Scan your f drive with the errors checking option , Then afterwards try the defrag ... To do a error scan ? Do the following >>> double click My Computer >> Right click the F drive and select properties , Click on the Tools tab follow by check now

Edited by snooker, 24 August 2006 - 11:07 AM.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:18 AM

It want you to run CHKDSK. The /F switch instructs CHKDSK to repair error.

Start> Run> chkdsk /F <enter>

Make sure there is a space before /F.

Resources: CHKDSK
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:22 AM

It means your computer want to check with a scan on your f drive for bad sector / errors , At which time it will try to correct

The f is unrelated to the drive name. The f stands for fix. Read the this microsoft article about chkdsk, what it does and the different syntax codes. I agree that the system is wanting to check your drive for repairs. To do this, restart the computer and chkdsk should run on its own. If it doesn't, click on start, then run. Type in command. In the screen that comes up type in chkdsk /f if you only have one volume, which is the usual case. Make sure to include the space. You will likely get a message asking if you want chkdsk (stands for check disk) to run when the computer starts up again. Type yes or click on yes. (You must be logged on as an administrator in order to do this). Then restart the computer. It will take quite some time for it to finish doing its job. Please be patient.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 busygal

busygal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:36 AM

I tryed both things nothing works. any other sugestions

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:45 AM

Turn off your computer by using the case switch. Then turn it back on, Windows should preform checkdist automatically.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:52 PM

If you are using the Windows XP defragmenter then this article will more than likely do the job

How To: Fix Windows Built in Defragmenter
http://www.andreasroom.com/blog/archive/20.../18/defrag.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users