Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant detect SD card

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 andrew193

andrew193

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 05 November 2016 - 11:33 AM

For some reason my Laptop won't detect SD cards. Tried different readers/Cards but nothing is showing up in My PC.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Arg_

Arg_

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 01:18 AM

Hi Andrew,

Are you trying to use an external device in order to make this work? Or are you using your onboard SD card reader ? Is this a Laptop/PC?

Cheers.

Arg,

#3 andrew193

andrew193
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 07:18 AM

Hi Andrew,

Are you trying to use an external device in order to make this work? Or are you using your onboard SD card reader ? Is this a Laptop/PC?

Cheers.

Arg,

Hi Arg,

It's a laptop and i'm using the onboard SD card reader. Tried a couple of different ones and also different SD cards but nothing is showing up.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 08:52 AM

Visit your laptop manufacturer website to see if they have driver for your SD card reader.

Posted Image

#5 andrew193

andrew193
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:06 PM

Visit your laptop manufacturer website to see if they have driver for your SD card reader.

Tried that and it says to run Win Update to find any missing drivers so no luck there.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 04:52 PM

First things first - have a look at 'Device manager'.

Click 'Win key+X' - 'Control panel' - 'System'. In the top left of the 'system' panel you will see 'Device Manager', click on this and the DM box will open. Probably at the very bottom of the list of devices you will see 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers' with a + sign beside it. Click on the + sign and the entry will expand. You should see an entry for ''Manufacturer' USB Card Reader'. Is there a yellow or red mark against this entry ?

If there is, double click on the 'Card reader' entry and a gray panel will open. Click on 'Driver' then select 'Uninstall' and accept any warnings you may get. Once you have done this, re-boot and the relevant drivers will be loaded when the computer restarts.

It is always possible that the card reader itself is faulty, in which case you can always buy a USB card reader. These are widely available and generally quite cheap, all you do is plug your card into the reader and plug the reader into any USB socket.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 andrew193

andrew193
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:27 AM

First things first - have a look at 'Device manager'.

Click 'Win key+X' - 'Control panel' - 'System'. In the top left of the 'system' panel you will see 'Device Manager', click on this and the DM box will open. Probably at the very bottom of the list of devices you will see 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers' with a + sign beside it. Click on the + sign and the entry will expand. You should see an entry for ''Manufacturer' USB Card Reader'. Is there a yellow or red mark against this entry ?

If there is, double click on the 'Card reader' entry and a gray panel will open. Click on 'Driver' then select 'Uninstall' and accept any warnings you may get. Once you have done this, re-boot and the relevant drivers will be loaded when the computer restarts.

It is always possible that the card reader itself is faulty, in which case you can always buy a USB card reader. These are widely available and generally quite cheap, all you do is plug your card into the reader and plug the reader into any USB socket.

Chris Cosgrove

Looked that up and NO "USB Card Reader" is listed in Device Manager

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:33 PM

If it is not listed in Device manager then it is not just a matter of faaulty drivers. This suggests that the device is either not there or not connected to the motherboard even though there may be a slot in the frame of the laptop.

If I am right about this then your only solution is to use a discrete USB card reader. These are widely available and not expensive. Going by your time stamp you live in the UK so try any of the big supermarkets - ASDA, Tesco, etc. - or Maplins or Currys/PC World, even a photography/camera shop if you have to (these tend to have, shall we say, an optimistic pricing structure). They are also available as multi-card types, not merely SD card only. Handy for mobiles and tablets.

Once you hace one you merely push the card into the appropriate slot and plug the reader into any convenient USB socket. My wife's laptop has a built in slot and that is what we use - plus an external drive for backup - when we are away on shoots. My desktop doesn't, so I use a card reader for any locally taken photos.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 andrew193

andrew193
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 03:21 AM

If it is not listed in Device manager then it is not just a matter of faaulty drivers. This suggests that the device is either not there or not connected to the motherboard even though there may be a slot in the frame of the laptop.

If I am right about this then your only solution is to use a discrete USB card reader. These are widely available and not expensive. Going by your time stamp you live in the UK so try any of the big supermarkets - ASDA, Tesco, etc. - or Maplins or Currys/PC World, even a photography/camera shop if you have to (these tend to have, shall we say, an optimistic pricing structure). They are also available as multi-card types, not merely SD card only. Handy for mobiles and tablets.

Once you hace one you merely push the card into the appropriate slot and plug the reader into any convenient USB socket. My wife's laptop has a built in slot and that is what we use - plus an external drive for backup - when we are away on shoots. My desktop doesn't, so I use a card reader for any locally taken photos.

Chris Cosgrove

Ok Chris will try that. Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users