Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 beeps at POST

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Irishbros

Irishbros

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 05 November 2016 - 11:14 AM

Hi last night when on pc the power went out in my area a couple of time, pc booted back up fine. I went to sleep left pc on when i got up next morning the monitor was black so i turned off pc and rebooted it.

Now when it is booting up i hear a beep followed by 2 quick beeps, it powers on the monitor but it stays black i cant even enter bios.

I have tried switching ram and 1 stick at a time and also tried another psu.

I assume while i was sleeping the power went out again and done damage to something i am wondering if it is the MB or ram i have no way of testing the ram.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,031 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 11:19 AM

Beep code list here

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

#3 Irishbros

Irishbros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 11:31 AM

Beep code list here

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

I checked that list, does not list Asus

MB is Asus M5A78L-M lx3

Edited by Irishbros, 05 November 2016 - 11:37 AM.

#4 Irishbros

Irishbros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 12:13 PM

The beeps have stopped, now it just makes the normal post beep but still black screen. i have tried to flash the bios like it says in the manual http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM3+/M5A78L-M_LX3/E8025_M5A78L-M_LX3_Series.pdf?_ga=1.83249490.554270999.1478353824#p37 but does not do anything

Any ideas?

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,031 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 12:35 PM

Asus beep codes

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1029959

#6 Irishbros

Irishbros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 12:56 PM

The beeps are back, looks like it is  MB issue as its says beep code is if flashing the bios witch i am not.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 05 November 2016 - 06:57 PM

Try resetting the BIOS back to factory default; how to do it should be in your user's manual.

FYI...if power regularly fails in your area, you really want to get your self a surge protector with minimally 2000 joules protection. When the power comes back on, there is a big spike in line voltage for an instant before it stabilizes, and that is where component damage can happen. I am not saying definitely that is your problem, but it happens. What can also happen is that if the CPU is in the process of accessing data it can corrupt your operating system, and/or the C:\\ partition itself.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 05 November 2016 - 09:12 PM

Power failures are a PC killer. The surge could have taken out any number of voltage regulators on the MOBO.  Minus any noises (bang), capacitors are not suspect but could use a close inspection. 

#9 Irishbros

Irishbros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:03 AM

I have tried clearing the cmos by using the jumper and removing the battery also.

I had a look at all of the capacitors can not see any damage to them.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:42 AM

I would replace the CMOS battery...before I gave up hope on it being something simple.

Louis

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:40 PM

Try booting into Safe Mode; how to do it will be in your manual. If you can boot Windows in Safe Mode, that is good, it means that you have some corruption in the system but your hardware is good.

By the way...flashing the BIOS will not help in this situation, but if the flash goes bad it can cause additional problems and possibly brick your computer.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#12 Irishbros

Irishbros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 01:04 PM

Try booting into Safe Mode; how to do it will be in your manual. If you can boot Windows in Safe Mode, that is good, it means that you have some corruption in the system but your hardware is good.

By the way...flashing the BIOS will not help in this situation, but if the flash goes bad it can cause additional problems and possibly brick your computer.

It will not boot i can not even get into bios, just a black screen after post.

I will try another battery.

#13 Irishbros

Irishbros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:08 PM

I tried a new battery and also a new stick of ram, so i guess the MB is faulty.

#14 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:32 AM

Depending upon whether the video is on board or you use a plug in card, the video BIOS has to boot first, to tell the CPU to boot and where to display it.  No video start, no CPU start, equals blank screen and no BIOS.

#15 Irishbros

Irishbros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:34 PM

Depending upon whether the video is on board or you use a plug in card, the video BIOS has to boot first, to tell the CPU to boot and where to display it.  No video start, no CPU start, equals blank screen and no BIOS.

I have a plug in gpu and onbard gpu have tried both ways, and it does power on my screen but it is blank.

I am going to order a new motherboard should be here in a week or 2. Could it be the cpu i am wondering now from what you are saying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users