Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

How to speed up Windows 7 Update scans—forever

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,142 posts
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 05 November 2016 - 08:38 AM

Nice article from Inforworld on the Windows 7 update fiasco. 

The speed-up patch, KB 3172605, is problematic, as I discussed in July. It contains a new version of the Windows Update Agent, which takes minutes instead of hours to figure out which patches are available.
There are two problems with KB 3172605 (“July 2016 update rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1”) that aren’t discussed in the KB article:
It includes components that aren’t related to the Windows 7 Update scan slowdown problem. If you want to speed up your scans, you have to take all of the update rollup. You can’t pick out the good part.
It crashes a very common set of Intel Bluetooth drivers.

Edit: I would not recommend turning off Windows Update as shown in the article.

Edited by hamluis, 05 November 2016 - 09:41 AM.
Moved from Gen Chat to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 05 November 2016 - 09:14 AM

Yes, 3020369 and 3172605 (and, for new W7 installs, 3125574) are the key.

I can attest to that.

If WU is stuck in a perpetual "checking for updates" vortex, one DOES indeed need to at least turn off Windows Updates ("never check...") TEMPORARILY and, in some cases, disable & stop it from services.msc, also temporarily and then reboot.

It's the only way to get those patches to install manually.

Once that's done, and once the system has been rebooted, WU can be turned back on (preferably to "notify and let me choose) and the service can be restarted ("Automatic-delayed start").

A manual check for updates should take only seconds/minutes, instead of hours/days.

I posted this method here a few days ago: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/631190/windows-update-stuck/#entry4114538

This worked for me on my 2 W7 boxes and for countless others at many other fora, such as sevenforums.com

If it does NOT work, then it's likely that there's something else going on.

Edited by MoxieMomma, 05 November 2016 - 09:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users