Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overheating And Hard Drives Not Supported

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dumafach

dumafach

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:30 AM

I went to sandy and downloaded the scan program. It showed my board temp at 116 degrees. It also showed my hard drives are not supported by the CPU. It also states my BIOS is not configured right. I don't know how to check all this and set it right. I did copy the results to word if somebody needs to see what it says. I am afraid to go into BIOS without knowing exactly what I am doing. Can anybody advise?

dumafach

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:05 AM

We can give you better advice if you tell us the make and model of your computer, mainboard, hard drive(s) and CPU.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#3 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:38 AM

Hello The Yoda

Do you want me to send you the info I got from Sandy or just the system info itself? I have the scan saved in word. I don't know if I can place that here. Where do I find the info you requested?

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:02 PM

HDD information can be obtained at

Start/Run/type "msinfo32" (without the quotations)/OK.

The System Information window will open. Open COMPONENTS, open STORAGE, click on DISKS.

The HDD information will be located in the right pane.

#5 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:33 PM

Tip 1300 : Enter your company name or "Home" instead of "Unknown".
Warning 1316 : This copy of Windows contains Product Activation Technology.
Warning 1322 : Hardware DEP is not supported by your CPU. Software DEP in use. Consider upgrading for complete security.
Notice 224 : System BIOS : SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.
Tip 212 : System BIOS : BIOS can be shadowed so check whether it is.
Tip 211 : System BIOS : BIOS is flash-able and socketed so it can be upgraded when Warning 2518 : Mainboard temperature is too high.
Board Temperature : 52.0C / 125.6F
Notice 224 : SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.
Warning 2507 : Mainboard has too few memory slots. Upgrading the memory may be Warning 3104 : hard drive 1ST340015A (ATA) : Current mode not optimal. Check settings.
Warning 3104 : hard drive 2WDC WD200BB-60CVB0 (ATA) : Current mode not optimal. Check settings.

I hope this helps. I don't understand most of it. Anybody that can help would be greatly appreceiated. If there is a better way to put this info here I would sure listen. :thumbsup:

dumafach

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:01 PM

Well that sure did not look like information from msinfo32. I do not know where it came from but WOW!

From what I read your operating system is not recognizing the hard drive(s) and getting the computer to do this is going to require a lot of manual labor in the fact that the computer is going to have to be partially dis-assembled and put back together again. This is something that I do not wish to get into because explaining this to someone can be disastrous if not done properly and I just can not bring myself to do this.

Your computer is going to have to have the drive selects set correctly and possibly have new IDE cables for it and these cables are called 80-wire cables and have to be installed a certain way. My suggestion is to take your computer to a repair technician and have the appropriate steps be taken there. It will be faster and the work will be done correctly.

#7 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:13 PM

Hello ThorXP

I just picked parts of what sandy scan gave me. The info I got from msinfo was going to take a lot of space so I tried to compact it. I added a second drive to give me more memory space. That is probably where I messed up. I have a new cable. I just haven't installed it because I didn't know if I had even installed the drive right.Description Disk drive
Manufacturer (Standard disk drives)
Model ST340015A
Bytes/Sector 512
Media Loaded Yes
Media Type Fixed	hard disk media
Partitions 2
SCSI Bus 0
SCSI Logical Unit 0
SCSI Port 0
SCSI Target ID 0
Sectors/Track 63
Size 37.27 GB (40,015,503,360 bytes)
Total Cylinders 5,169
Total Sectors 78,155,280
Total Tracks 1,240,560
Tracks/Cylinder 240
Partition Disk #0, Partition #0
Partition Size 4.08 GB (4,381,622,784 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset 32,256 bytes
Partition Disk #0, Partition #1
Partition Size 33.18 GB (35,626,106,880 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset 4,381,655,040 bytes

Description Disk drive
Manufacturer (Standard disk drives)
Model WDC WD200BB-60CVB0
Bytes/Sector 512
Media Loaded Yes
Media Type Fixed	hard disk media
Partitions 2
SCSI Bus 0
SCSI Logical Unit 0
SCSI Port 0
SCSI Target ID 1
Sectors/Track 63
Size 18.65 GB (20,020,331,520 bytes)
Total Cylinders 2,434
Total Sectors 39,102,210
Total Tracks 620,670
Tracks/Cylinder 255
Partition Disk #1, Partition #0
Partition Size 1.95 GB (2,097,414,144 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset 32,256 bytes
Partition Disk #1, Partition #1
Partition Size 16.21 GB (17,404,692,480 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset 2,097,446,400 bytes

Here is the msinfo but I think by what you said it doesn't matter much now. The computer runs good downloads good most of the time. I didn't realize I had this many problems. Thanks for your input.

Dumafach

#8 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 08:31 AM

It seems you only have a 40GB hard drive and 20GB harddrive. To save a lot of trouble I suggest getting a single bigger harddrive, maybe 100GB or what would suit your needs. If you can't afford 100GB, even 80 would suffice. If you want to do this I'll run you through it, if not I won't. :thumbsup:

Whatever you want, it's up to you, that's just my suggestion. If you want to go that way, I'll help you through and show you some great deals on where to buy it.

EDIT: And also, why are your Harddrives partitoined like that? (4GB and 33GB; 2GB and 16GB)

Edited by TheYoda, 26 August 2006 - 08:34 AM.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#9 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 10:18 AM

Hello YODA,

When I added the other hard drive I didn't know what I was doing. I still don't really. I have just recently got into computers. I have no one around to talk to about it. I have an account with dell. I was thinking about getting a new hard drive and a sound card. I have a lot of music and pics. The reason I haven't yet is I didn't know how I was going to get the info off the first two drives and onto the new one. I was thinking a 100 GB drive should be enough. I figured that was why it was looking funny on the drives. I didn't install right. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreceiated. I also have 512 MB of DDR RAM and only two slots. I was thinking of stepping up to the 1 GB Max. What do you think?

Compaq Presario SR1103WM,Seagate STA340015A 40GB and ?WDCWDBB-60CVBO 20GB drives, Realtek AC97 Audio,Video Intel 845G, Intel Celeron 2.53 Ghz CPU, Windows XP sp2, Reaktek NIC Card RTL81101L, CD-R RW/DVD ROM 52X32X52 DELL.

Edited by dumafach, 26 August 2006 - 10:20 AM.

#10 pc-details

pc-details

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 03:25 AM

When you boot up the computer, go to System Setup and set BIOS to system defaults.

#11 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:56 AM

Hello PC DETAILS

I have already done that. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users