Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrading processor

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 billy1971

billy1971

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:00 PM

i need to know if i can put a 3.0 dual processor in my dell inspiron 531 without upgrading the bios. i have a 2.10 ghz in it right now. i have tried to update the bios from the dell web site with no luck, thats why i am asking this question

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,056 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:28 PM

ok, those models were issued with different motherboards. what is the specs of the cpu/motherboard  you have in it now? 

i worked on one of these a few weeks ago, and the cpu TDP is the big one.  (i.e. 65 watts etc.)

Dell BIOS updates are the easiest i have ever done..they can be initiated while in native windows environment. Some DELL BIOS updates do ascertain cpu upgrades. Others just offer up a newer POST display and other minute changes.

You can get speccy in the download section here and you can get more info about your 531 motherboard and cpu with it.

One more thing, i always do the BIOS updates sequentially,  example given, it is recommended that you update from 1.0 to 1.1 instead of update from  1.1  to 1.3 etc...

And lastly, make absolute certain there is no threat of your DELL losing power or spontaneously shutting off while BIOS  updates are in progress. if the unit loses power while the update is in progress, it is a goner at the most basic level 

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 billy1971

billy1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:10 PM

ok well i have tried the bios like it says but it will not launch, there directions are to download it on a flash drive and then boot it up to the usb and run it from there. i have tried this and it will not launch. the service tag is a 60zy2f1 if this helps at all.

#4 billy1971

billy1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:12 PM

i will try again tomorrow to upgrade the bios , i am open to anything . i have upgraded my optiplex 780 with ease , but this inspiron is just giving me a headace.

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,056 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:24 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

here is the link to speccy, you can copy/paste the info from there, instead of unloading the whole PC snapshot at once. it will list your motherboard number and bios edition and cpu as well as windows version on your PC.

depending on your windows version you may well be able to launch an .exe while the PC is booted up into windows.

here is the DELL BIOS page link, for future reference.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=98CGR

this is what the dell site shot back when your service tag was input:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/servicetag/60ZY2F1/drivers

loos like an athlon 64 x2 2.1ghz. the P4 killer from days gone by....

ok, that is a  65 watt  cpu..windows vista... 2gb ram, so must be 32 bit..

not bad at all. it looks like the motherboard is standard, the one i worked on was sporting a core 2 duo and had different motherboard configs to support different CPU TDP.

if i remember correctly, much like the EIST of the core 2 duos, the AMD fm2 cpus had the "cool and quiet" BIOS toggle that would keep the cpu in low GHZ gear until taxed when it is enabled

in my estimation, the 2.1 ghz is not much of lesser potent cpu than the 3.0 with the cool and quiet manipulated.

Edited by synergy513, 04 November 2016 - 10:02 PM.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,988 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 05 November 2016 - 05:29 AM

Another consideration is the cache (pronounced 'cash') of a CPU is a very important factor & cannot be overlooked. It's the memory of the CPU. :)

Example, back with the Intel P4 Northwood line of CPU's was around & widely in use, there was at the top of the heap (I still have one), a 3.06GHz with H/T, yet the L2 cache was only 0.5MB, which essentially killed the high GHz level. Had the CPU had as little as a 2MB cache, would had made a world of difference. as many mobile CPU's had that amount, but with 1.73Ghz CPU's & no H/T. So the better of the lot were the mobiles, and produced far less heat. That 3.06GHz CPU in the Dell Dimension 2400 served two purposes, used for my main PC until 2013, and doubled as a room warmer at the same time (wasted energy). 

So if the CPU you now have has a 3-4MB L2 or L3 cache, and the one running at 3.0GHz has only 2MB, that's going to reduce the performance to possibly less than what you have. 

That's why today, most all CPU's & ads for these will have the amount of L3 displayed (usually 3 to 8MB for mainstream Intel offerings), though goes up very high with enthusiast series models, jumping up from a i7-4790K to a 'budget' 6 core Intel i7-5820K CPU will almost double the cache for about $40-50 extra, though that decision is best made prior to performing the build. 

http://ark.intel.com/products/82932/Intel-Core-i7-5820K-Processor-15M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

Of course, there's pros and cons about jumping into these, as the high end CPU's has no built in graphics (the way it should be & once was), note that while the 5820K has far less frequency than the 4790K, it's more than made up for with the 15MB cache versus 8MB for the 4790K. Plus there's UEFI options that can jack up the performance, in addition to on the OS side (overclocking), yet it's really not needed, because it also can run up to 64GB of DDR4 RAM & it's bandwidth is tripled. So it's going to outperform out of the box, at a much lower GHz level. On the other hand, at 130W, it uses 46W more than many i7 & i5 quad core choices (typical is 84W). 

The above is an example, you'll have to compare the numbers on the CPU that you have, that's why my colleague synergy513 suggested to post a Speccy link, that will show your specs. Note that we'll not see all that you do, your license key or COA, as well as your IP address, will be removed & not seen by us, so it's safe to post. 

That way, we'll see what you have, and compare to get you the best CPU possible that's compatible for your system. :)

Good Luck! :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 05 November 2016 - 08:14 AM

According to the specs on CNet:-

https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-inspiron-531-athlon-64-x2-3800-plus-2-ghz-2-gb-250-gb-lcd-19/specs/

...you should be running the same exact CPU as I myself am using; an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+. This runs at 2.0 GHz.

These were amazing CPUs for their time.....but relatively weak by today's standards.

So that we're all singing from the same hymn-sheet here:-

This will be Socket 939 or Socket AM2 (not FM2. These wouldn't yet exist for some time to come.)

And this is an AMD.....not an Intel. (Not really in your league, Cat! Prehistoric, by your standards, I would think.)

Here's mine:-

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon%2064%20X2%203800%2B%20-%20ADA3800DAA5CD%20(ADA3800CDBOX).html

Some of these were on the old Socket 939 (as is mine), while others were using the AM2 socket (no FM2 socket here, Cat; these are very early dual-cores, from around 12 years ago.....the first wave of 64-bit dual-cores to hit the market). If you're on the 939 socket, the max you can go to will be the 4800+ @ 2.4 GHz. If, however, you're running the AM2 socket, you'll be able to go all the way up to the 6400+ @ 3.2 GHz. That's if you can find one, of course.....these tend to vanish very fast when they appear on FleaBay and Amazon, and fetch some ridiculous prices!

The X2 3800+ has 0.5 MB per core (512k) L2 cache. The higher spec X2's can go up to 1 MB cache per core (and these older Athlons did not share the cache between the cores as in more recent models).

You're only looking at SSE3s at most; even the top 6400+ models on the later socket:-

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon%2064%20X2%206400%2B%20-%20ADX6400IAA6CZ%20(ADX6400CZBOX%20-%20ADX6400CZWOF).html

....only added virtualization technology to the instruction set. Nothing else. You have to remember that the later Streaming SIMD extensions (SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, etc) didn't arrive for another 18 months after these were released onto the market (late 2005/early 2006, as I recall, in the first dual-core Pentiums).

We need a Speccy readout, or if not on Windows, some kind of hardware report which will show which CPU socket you've got in there. It should also show which actual CPU you're running. Only then can we really advise further.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 05 November 2016 - 09:19 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#8 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,056 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 02:13 PM

yes, that cpu line looks a little lacking in the on-chip cache. i googled a bit and found the 89 watt cpu can go in there with a BIOS update.  As stated above, these are kind of difficult to get.   here is the newegg link with specs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103272

Dell community link for the 531 maximum cpu upgrade topic:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19341826

#9 billy1971

billy1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 02:43 PM

this is what i have www.cnet.com/products/dell-inspiron-531-athlon-64-x2-3800-plus-2-ghz-2-gb-250-gb-lcd-19/specs/

#10 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 05 November 2016 - 06:16 PM

Okay.

You have the identical CPU to mine. However, yours is  on the AM2 socket, so the good news is that you should be able to go all the way up to the 6400+, if you want to. The later socket will allow you to do that.

Myself, I'd be limited to the 4800+ at most. I've considered doing that in the past, and came to the conclusion that any improvements would be minimal at best.....so it wasn't worth all the messing about, trying to chase one down. My current CPU does everything that I ask it to, with capacity to spare, since Puppy is very light on resources.

For you, the 6400+ would be worth chasing down, as you'd be running more than 50% faster, with double the L2 cache.....which, as Cat says, does make a difference to performance. Plus, you'd have the AMD-V virtualization technology as well.

Basically, the entire Athlon 64 X2 range is available to you. Additionally, according to this:-

http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket%20AM2.html

...you could also switch to a Phenom  X4 quad-core, if you wanted to.....which would further add SSE4s to your instruction set. Still only 0.5 MB L2 per core, but for the first time there's a 2MB L3 cache.

It all depends on what you want to do with your CPU. Your choice.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 05 November 2016 - 06:24 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users