Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broken computer, recovering files from hard drive onto a separate computer.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 06:47 PM

I am using a USB to SATA adapter specifically for hard drives in an attempt to recover pictures from this hard drive. I cannot hook it up in the drive bay at the moment. I have plugged it in and it cannot be recognized.

PC Specs not necessary

Seagate Hard Drive 320 GB, 7200 RPM, 3.ADG

download.jpg

Note: The Blue light is telling me that there is sufficient power, the red light is stating that there is no access.

Edited by TOMIS13LACK, 04 November 2016 - 06:52 PM.

ooh, i have a signature

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:11 PM

I don't really care for the adapter type recovery devices.  I prefer an external enclosure type where the drive can be firmly mounted.  Many have both IDE and SATA/PATA interfaces with control card.  Not had an operating drive fail to respond.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:40 PM

This HD cannot be connected inside of a known good desktop?  MiniTool Power Data Recovery [free version recovers up to 1GB recoverables], Piriform's Recuva, although free, may not be strong enough.  I'm not if it's needed, there is a MiniTool Partition Wizard that is free.

Edited by RolandJS, 04 November 2016 - 08:42 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:03 PM

Is this a 2.5 or 3.5 drive? If a 3.5 drive it cannot be powered only from a USB port. I could not tell from the image if this is a 2.5 or 3.5 drive. Your adapter looks similar to this.

For 3.5 drives you need an adapter with a power brick like this.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 November 2016 - 09:03 PM.

#5 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 06:44 AM

Is this a 2.5 or 3.5 drive? If a 3.5 drive it cannot be powered only from a USB port. I could not tell from the image if this is a 2.5 or 3.5 drive. Your adapter looks similar to this.

For 3.5 drives you need an adapter with a power brick like this.

Where can i find this out? If you mean size, then i think it is a 3.5 inch

This HD cannot be connected inside of a known good desktop?  MiniTool Power Data Recovery [free version recovers up to 1GB recoverables], Piriform's Recuva, although free, may not be strong enough.  I'm not if it's needed, there is a MiniTool Partition Wizard that is free.

I dont know how to use it with recuva. The hard drive itself cannot be picked up and i cannot find it.

Edited by TOMIS13LACK, 05 November 2016 - 06:45 AM.

ooh, i have a signature

#6 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 05 November 2016 - 07:33 AM

Its a 3.5 Drive , so it needs Power Plug and Data Cable to work as stated in 2nd Link.

As JohnC21  said if its the first one he linked to { Like Yours } this wont work on a 3.5 Drive , if you connect it , you probably wont hear the drive spin up - because it needs a power cable connected.

I would install it in the PC - you should have a spare Power and Sata Cable in there  { you dont need to install the drive in a bay} just connect it.

Then install Recuva , and use that to access the Drive and retrieve the Data.

#7 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 07:44 AM

Its a 3.5 Drive , so it needs Power Plug and Data Cable to work as stated in 2nd Link.

As JohnC21  said if its the first one he linked to { Like Yours } this wont work on a 3.5 Drive , if you connect it , you probably wont hear the drive spin up - because it needs a power cable connected.

I would install it in the PC - you should have a spare Power and Sata Cable in there  { you dont need to install the drive in a bay} just connect it.

Then install Recuva , and use that to access the Drive and retrieve the Data.

Okay, thanks. My power supply will not support another hard drive on it though so i will get a drive bay (probably this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0099TX7O4/ref=twister_B01F9TLN16?_encoding=UTF8&th=1) and it will most likely help in the future anyway.

ooh, i have a signature

#8 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 05 November 2016 - 07:55 AM

That should work ok.

If you have other drives using up your Sata Cables and Power Cables , you could use those in the interim.

You only need 2 , One for the Operating System Drive and one for the Drive you are retrieving files from.

If you need any help with Recuva etc , Post Back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users