Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows7 wont start normally, do not start in safe mode either

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jortizval

jortizval

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 06:18 PM

Hi. I got some knowledge on repairing computer problem but i got this particular one i wasnt able to fix. Ive tried everything i know to try and fix it before doing a fresh install but coming to this site as a last resort. Ive done everything from safe mode to sfc scan to chkdsk /r and nothing. Only thing is sfc /scannow have found some corrupted sys file but was unable to fix some of them. I cant log into safe mode so cant install any fixing program either to run it through cmd (thats the only thing i have access to) system restore cant help cause pc say there is no restore point but last time i was able to power on pc without problems it updated some files and made a restore point when done and that was weird when it didnt find any rp. Please I need some help here since im running out of resources. Hopefully someone can help me. Thanks

Edited by jortizval, 04 November 2016 - 06:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,088 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 05 November 2016 - 05:48 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Remove the hard drive.

Attach it in a different system as a secondary drive.

Run the chkdsk /r command on it.

Louis

#3 jortizval

jortizval
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 09:01 AM

Its a custom build. MB Asus rampage 3 RoG, intel i7 2.6 cpu, wd 1 TB HDD, HyperX RAM, Sapphire Radeon x290 VC...didnt thought about that, ill do and then post back result

Edited by jortizval, 05 November 2016 - 09:02 AM.

#4 jortizval

jortizval
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 10:21 AM

Question: its possible to check the disk with 64 bit OS as slave in a 32 bit win 7 or it has to be checked in a 64 bit OS as well? Because I got another built with 32 bit OS

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,088 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 01:50 PM

With chkdsk /r...it doesn't matter if it's 32-bit Windows or 64-bit Windows.

Louis

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:54 AM

This being a custom build I would assume that you have the installation disc for this version of Windows 7.

If you do, use the instructions below to boot from the disc to access the System Recovery Options where one of the options is to run the Startup Repair.

Repair Installation Instructions

Attention:  In order to boot from the installation disc you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the optical driver is the first device in the boot order, and the HDD/SSD is the second devcice.

1.  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2.  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, do so.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3.  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time and currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4.  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5.  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6.  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7.  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8.  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9.  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10.  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 jortizval

jortizval
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:57 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Remove the hard drive.

Attach it in a different system as a secondary drive.

Run the chkdsk /r command on it.

Louis

Ok i did this but chkdsk is stuck in 208648 of 318704 on stage 4 of 5 for several hours. What should i do? Im not able to use the repair restore as it cant fix the problem automatically.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,088 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:05 AM

I would say that the chkdsk problem may indicate a hard drive problem.  I would be prepared for the worst...then run the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the hard drive in question.

Louis

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 09:51 AM

Please download and run SeatTools for Windows.

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 jortizval

jortizval
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:10 PM

I would say that the chkdsk problem may indicate a hard drive problem.  I would be prepared for the worst...then run the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the hard drive in question.

Louis

Its a western digital hdd. I did the western digital data lifeguard diagnostic test and it fail at extended test. Too many bad sectors detected. So that means the hdd no matter if I format it and install a fresh win 7 it wont work? Also there is a possibility to backup all the files from the disk or do an exact image and try to transfer it to a formatted hdd so win7 can boot up if the disk is formatted and transfer the image back to it or it wont work? And i have to do a fresh install on the same hdd or that hdd dont work anymore? What are my options if any?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,088 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 07:32 AM

Failed status typically indicates that it's a wise decision to discontinue using the drive...or expecting to do so in the future, IME.

Louis

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:33 AM

I did the western digital data lifeguard diagnostic test and it fail at extended test. Too many bad sectors detected. So that means the hdd no matter if I format it and install a fresh win 7 it wont work? Also there is a possibility to backup all the files from the disk or do an exact image and try to transfer it to a formatted hdd so win7 can boot up if the disk is formatted and transfer the image back to it or it wont work? And i have to do a fresh install on the same hdd or that hdd dont work anymore? What are my options if any?

The S.M.A.R.T. attributes like Unallocated Sector Count, Reported Uncorrectable Errors, Current Pending Sector Count, Uncorrectable Sector Count are some of the important attributes.  If you see a increase in Unallocated Sector Count or Uncorrectable Sector Count numbers this is indicative of a failing drive.  Data Lifeguard has already indicated a failure in the extended test.  But it would be worth taking another look at these attributes.

JcJ91sx.pngGSmartControl
Follow the instructions below to test your hard drive health with GSmartControl:

1.  Download GSmartControl and save it on your Desktop.

2.  Extract the content of the GSmartControl .zip archive and execute gsmartcontrol.exe.

3.  Identify your drive in the list, and double-click on it to bring up it's window (usually you'll find your drive by it's size or it's brand name).

4.  Click on the Perform Tests tab, then select Extended Self-test in the Test type drop-down list and click on Execute (this test can take a few hours to complete).

Once the test is over, the results will be displayed at the bottom of the window. Please copy and paste these results in your topic.

Click on the Attributes tab and if you have any entries highlighted in red or pink, copy and paste their name in your next reply (or take a screenshot of the GSmartControl window and attach it in your next reply).

info_failing.png

#13 jortizval

jortizval
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 11:26 AM

Ok dc3 ill do that and then post

#14 jortizval

jortizval
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:16 PM

Here are the results i found in attributes. Tried to do extended test but when i hit execute a popop say cannot run extended self-test. Sendingcommand failed

Attached File  disktestss.jpg   315.22KB   1 downloads

Edited by jortizval, 21 November 2016 - 08:19 PM.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:56 AM

The attributes below are recognized as Pre-fail.  A Pre-fail is indicates that the attribute is considered a critical attribute, this is part of the overall SMART health assessment (PASSED/FAILED) of the drive. If the value of WORST falls below THRESH, then the drive FAILS the overall SMART health test, and complete failure may be imminent.  If a failure is indicated in the When Failed column a failure will be imminent.  In this case I would suggest running the GSmartControl periodically to monitor its status.

Raw Read Error Rate

Spinup Time 

Reallocated Sector Count

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users