Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Network connection problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 johnsig

johnsig

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 04:59 PM

My computers indicate an active Internet connection, but can't find a server.

This has been happening periodically for the last week.

My network is a desktop and two laptops all running Windows 10 Home.  The cable connection from the wall goes to the modem which is wire connected to the router which is wire connected to the desktop.  The two laptops connect wirelessly. The desktop can apparently do either a wired or wireless connection or both.

What has been happening is that any of the computers will start occasionally returning a server not found after clicking on a link. Reclicking or refreshing will typically connect to the server. But the problem gets progressively worse and worse until the computer can't connect at all ever though it appears Internet is available. This can be initiated from any of the computers and affects them all simultaneously.

When I contacted my cable provider we disconnect the cable connection and the power to both modem and router, waited a minute and then connected, cable first, modem power next and router power third and everything worked beautifully.  My cable helper said it was just a glitch and nothing to worry about.

But this has now happened several more times with this fix always being effective but temporary.

Now the big question.  Is the problem my cable connection, my modem, or my router?  I just bought a new expensive router because mine is probably 10 years old but I haven't received it yet.

How can I tell if my modem is working well?  Any advice would be welcomed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 06:50 PM

Your issue could be cause by DNS server you are using please follow my instructions to configure google DNS servers.

Use Google DNS Servers to Speed Up Web Browsing

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users