Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DBAN/Killdisk type programs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dishdude1

dishdude1

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 01:44 PM

I have a hard drive I wiped to redeploy on a different OS, nothing critical on it but I want to make sure all the partitions are wiped so I have a clean HD to install on. It's a 160 GB drive but the programs are telling me it is 149 GB. Is there a hidden partition that these programs are missing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 02:09 PM

This is normal because the OS is binary and not decimal. Manufacturers use 1000kb to a MB but it's actually 1024kb to a MB in binary.

1024 x 1024 x 1024 = 1073741824 bytes in a GB using binary.

1000 x 1000 x 1000 = 1000000000 bytes in a GB using base 10

1000000000/1073741824 =  .931

.931 * 160 = 149GB

http://www.ussscctv.com/harddrivesizecapacitiescalculator.aspx

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 04:43 AM

Yes, it's unfortunate that these OEM's gets by with this, yet it's been the rule ever since I can remember, even with the smaller HDD's of 15-16 years back. When having a 40GB HDD was a big deal, now 1TB drives are a given on many computers with 2TB sizes now being widely deployed by OEM's. Yet the user ends up with only 931GB of usable space on a 1TB HDD. 

So whatever you're using is reporting correctly, as JohnC has pointed out. :(

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 dishdude1

dishdude1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 05 November 2016 - 05:13 AM

Interesting, I had no idea. Am I correct to assume these programs don't recognize partitions and simply write over the entire drive?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 08:47 AM

Interesting, I had no idea. Am I correct to assume these programs don't recognize partitions and simply write over the entire drive?

Correct, the programs zero wipe the disk and could care less what partitions are on the drive. There are some areas of the disk that the programs do not touch but that is something most people do not need to worry about.

https://www.technibble.com/are-we-completely-wiping-that-hard-disk/

If the drive supports it you can use the SecureErase command. The utility in the article is for ATA drives and I am not sure it will work for SATA. There a version on Parted Magic, $9, but there are risks so I would leave well enough alone and wipe the drive with DBAN.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 November 2016 - 08:57 AM.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:06 PM

Every OS has housekeeping that is put i place during a formatting of the HD, no matter quick or full, that also accounts for the difference between the "raw" total byte-space and usuable byte-space.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users