Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I restore the Store

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 10:30 AM

Store and some important apps is blacked out in Start. How do I restore it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 01:05 PM

Follow my instructions at my tutorial link is below.

Reinstall Store And Other Preinstalled Apps In Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10

2GvnEq2.gif

#3 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 08:54 AM

Thanks for the link --- unfortunately the PowerShell command does not work. I thought it had but all that happened is some (not all) of the missing tiles were restored but the apps themselves do not launch, including Store itself, and Mail, Calendar, People, News plus other important apps. I have run the PowerShell command twice, with the same result. I have also closed and restored several times.

Can you offer any further advice? 

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:07 AM

Do you get any error message when you try to launch a app?

Uninstall third party antivirus programs and firewall to test issue gets resolves.

Open the Command Prompt by simply holding down the BxVxp04.png + X keys and select the option “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.

rS4b5c0.jpg

Within Command Prompt type Sfc /Scannow command and press Enter key. After Sfc command finish executing please give us the finnish result output of the Sfc command.

Make sure to install all Windows updates.

Install latest version of graphic card driver and other device drivers. You can found latest versions of device drivers from device or your computer manufacturer website.

Edited by FreeBooter, 06 November 2016 - 09:07 AM.

2GvnEq2.gif

#5 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:57 AM

I have tried several versions of the Powershell command which have been given me and either get errors (eg.command / character not recognised) in red ink or just do not work. I have one that completed seemingly OK, (all green) but does not work' in fact it has got worse as tiles have gone again.

The only error message when cicking apps is 'we cannot launch this app'.

sfc / Dism do not report any errors

I do have Norton Security / Firewall but do not want to uninstall that, or or will seek advice on Norton forum first 

All updates are installed

#6 techguruswaraj

techguruswaraj

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 07:06 AM

You can Restore the Windows Store App using the WIndows 10 ISO Disk. Also, you can Restore the Windows 10 from Settings > Recovery > Reset this PC. Just remember to select the option "Keep Apps and Personal Files" before restoring. 

#7 RoselynSoffer

RoselynSoffer

• Banned Spammer
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 09:19 AM

Run PowerShell as Administrator.

Open the Start menu (press Win key on the keyboard) and type Powershell. When it comes up in the search results, right click on it and choose "Run as administrator". Or you can also press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open it as administrator. Opening PowerShell as administrator is important, otherwise, the commands you run will fail:

Type: Get-Appxpackage -Allusers

In the output, locate the Microsoft.WindowsStore entry. 

Then run this PowerShell command, still elevated, replacing the ****** with the PackageFileName from above:

Add-AppxPackage -register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\******\AppxManifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode

This will put back the Store app. You can then install new apps that you actually need such as games without the useless pre-loaded apps for which desktop apps are a far better alternative.

If you get the error "access denied" or something like that, you might need to take ownership of the WindowsApps folder.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:31 AM

You can Restore the Windows Store App using the WIndows 10 ISO Disk. Also, you can Restore the Windows 10 from Settings > Recovery > Reset this PC. Just remember to select the option "Keep Apps and Personal Files" before restoring. 

I agree, this is the simplest solution to this problem.  It is very quick and reinstalls Windows 10 with out effecting your data if you choose the option to save your data.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:16 PM

Hello Roselyn --- thanks

I have been trying all day to get this to work but am drowning in pages of red print and error reports saying "does not exist" etc.

Below is copied & pasted the latest of many attempts to follow your instructions:

Add-AppxPackage -register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_11610.1001.10.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode

What is wrong with it?

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 07:40 PM

Execute Dism /online  /cleanup-image /Restorehealth  command from CommamdPrompt and please let us know the finish result of the Dism command.

If you like you can Repair Install Windows 10 without affecting your personal files, settings and installed programs.

2GvnEq2.gif

#11 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:01 AM

Dism reports nothing except an error "The source file could not be found".

Is this relevant?

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:16 AM

Yes that means component store is damage and Dism tool cannot download those damage files using Windows Update service, please follow my instructions at my tutorial from below link.

Resolve The Source Files Could Not Be Downloaded Dism Tool Error

2GvnEq2.gif

#13 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:58 AM

Thanks, that looks to be important. I presume it is necessary step for restoring the Store?

I have read the instructions a couple of times but so far have been unable to follow it, it is somewhat 'above my head'. Do all parts of the instructions have to be followed? There was an update last night (some of which) I cannot install, I guess because of this issue. • Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2, 2016 x64 Edition - November 2016 (KB890830) - Error 0x80070002

My updates are set to download automatically (if possible).

#14 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 06:54 AM

Let deal with Windows Update then we will run Dism command to repair component store. 

Download my batch script and executed as a administrator download link is below.

Repair Windows Update Errors

After executing  batch script and after restarting your computer check and try install Windows updates if updates installs then execute below commands one at time.

Dism /online  /cleanup-image /Restorehealth 

If above command repairs Windows component store files execute below command.

Sfc /scannow

Above command will repair any corrupted Windows system files.

Check to see Windows Store working.

Edited by FreeBooter, 09 November 2016 - 06:54 AM.

2GvnEq2.gif

#15 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 11:21 AM

How do I 'execute' the batch file?  Is that the same as 'run'? All I am getting is 'You must have Administrator powers to continue' and there it stops. There is nothing about granting myself Admin powers or about 'continue'. I have clicked 'run as Administrator' to no effect. My account --- the only account --- is an Administrator account. I know this is a common bugbear with Windows but dont know what to do about it now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users