Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer hangs upon waking computer from sleep

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Cohensalve

Cohensalve

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:33 AM

Hi, this has been happening intermittently for the past few weeks and I cannot get to the root of the issue.

Occasionally after waking my laptop from sleep, every task related to Windows Explorer will be in a frozen state.

Things that I discovered that will always be in a frozen state:

• Toolbar doesn't work
  • Desktop icons don't work
  • Occasionally the Win 10 start screen will be on screen when I wake the laptop, I can move the tiles, but clicking on them have no effect at all
  • Manually activating Windows Explorer via Win+E doesn't work

I found out that manually restarting Windows Explorer via the Task Manager (activated via Ctrl-Alt-Delete) will immediately resolve the issue. I can also Alt-Tab around the currently running applications as well.

After a random amount of time between 20sec (fastest) to 2-3minutes (slowest), the symptoms will disappear and all will be back to normal.

Strange.. I will greatly appreciate any help in this matter  :clapping:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:51 AM

Edit:  Photobucket is down for maintenance, so the images in the instructions will not be visible until they are back up and running.

Please run sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To open the Command Prompt press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key at the same time.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click/tap on this.

You will see a window similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste in sfc /scannow, then press Enter.

This will take a while,  have patience and allow it finish.  Stopping this scan could damage files.  

When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan.

Do the following to access the sfc /scannow log.

Open the Command Prompt, copy and paste the command below followed by pressing the Enter key.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled CBS.   

Please noticeThis log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Double click on this icon to open the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your dropbox account and post the link in your topic.

Edited by dc3, 04 November 2016 - 09:53 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Cohensalve

Cohensalve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:16 AM

Hi,the scan result is "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." Below is the link to the file.

https://app.box.com/s/owe27r8jjs7qfbb4kd0gm56ce6ziovu5

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 12:36 PM

Repair any errors on C: partition by  typing Chkdsk C: /r command, you will be ask to schedule a next time reboot error checking type Y letter and press Enter key.

Install latest versions of all device drivers from there manufacturer website or from your computer manufacturer website.

Install all Windows Updates.

Try Clean Boot to eliminate startup programs and services from causing the issue.

Posted Image

#5 Cohensalve

Cohensalve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:12 PM

Repair any errors on C: partition by  typing Chkdsk C: /r command, you will be ask to schedule a next time reboot error checking type Y letter and press Enter key.

Install latest versions of all device drivers from there manufacturer website or from your computer manufacturer website.

Install all Windows Updates.

Try Clean Boot to eliminate startup programs and services from causing the issue.

I have just completed the Chkdsk operation. 

Below are the results.

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is Windows.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.                         

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
  622848 file records processed.                                                         File verification completed.
  12463 large file records processed.                                      0 bad file records processed.                                      
Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
  774542 index entries processed.                                                        Index verification completed.
  0 unindexed files scanned.                                           0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.                     
Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Cleaning up 3018 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 3018 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 3018 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
  75848 data files processed.                                            CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
  40264632 USN bytes processed.                                                            Usn Journal verification completed.

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...
  622832 files processed.                                                                File data verification completed.

Stage 5: Looking for bad, free clusters ...
  32514514 free clusters processed.                                                        Free space verification is complete.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

243186270 KB total disk space.
 112175500 KB in 375189 files.
    211788 KB in 75849 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    740922 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
 130058060 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
  60796567 total allocation units on disk.
  32514515 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 81 09 00 49 e0 06 00 e8 5a 0c 00 00 00 00 00  ....I....Z......
00 05 00 00 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:50 PM

Can you run Chkdsk  C:  /f to make sure all errors repaired don't worry Chkdsk with /f parameter finnish checking disk faster.

After running the Chkdsk again test the Windows File Explorer and please report back with the result.

Edited by FreeBooter, 04 November 2016 - 11:50 PM.

Posted Image

#7 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 05 November 2016 - 01:19 AM

Also you could have a read of this thread which has Win 10 posters in it as the thread progresses.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-hangs-up-after-waking-up-from-sleep-mode/9dfd8202-302e-42e4-af47-ec986c3a5b05?page=1

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 05 November 2016 - 01:21 AM

@freebooter

chkdsk /r has the same functionality as the /f switch, but it also checks for bad sectors on the HDD and recovers any readable information.  You have already had the op run the /r switch.

Edited by dc3, 05 November 2016 - 08:23 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Cohensalve

Cohensalve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 07:13 AM

The intermittent issue with Windows Explorer when waking my laptop from sleep still persists =/

@opera Reading the thread now, hopefully there's some information :)

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 03:48 PM

@freebooter

chkdsk /r has the same functionality as the /f switch, but it also checks for bad sectors on the HDD and recovers any readable information.  You have already had the op run the /r switch.

My friend please i know all the information you provided but thank you, i ask OP to check this time only NTFS file system as there were security descriptors errors i want to make sure these errors are gone by executing Chkdsk command with /f parameter.

Edited by FreeBooter, 05 November 2016 - 03:49 PM.

Posted Image

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 03:51 PM

Hi opera,

Use Fix IE Utility program to repair Internet Explorer issues.

Posted Image

#12 Cohensalve

Cohensalve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 09:37 PM

Okay I think I identified the issue causing the Windows Explorer freeze.. It is the Synaptics Touchpad notification which states "Your TouchPad has been disabled because the Synaptics TouchPad driver has detected another pointing device plugged into your computer" whenever I wake my laptop from sleep. (I have my mouse permanently connected to my laptop) I disabled the notification and it seems to be working fine now.

I will post again if the issue re-occurs.

Edited by Cohensalve, 05 November 2016 - 09:37 PM.

#13 Cohensalve

Cohensalve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:16 AM

Welp, the issue has re-occurred. Hence, it is not the Synaptics notififcation issue. Hmm..

Currently trying to run whatishang immediately after I wake my laptop to possibly identify the issue.

Any ideas are welcome.

#14 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:56 AM

Cohensalve i have to ask are following all our suggestions?
Check out my tutorials please if program you are using wont help.

Troubleshooting Windows Errors with Event Viewer

Run Internet Explorer in Safe Mode

Posted Image

#15 FunkOverload

FunkOverload

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:50 PM

Have you found a solution to this yet, Cohensalve? I'm experiencing the same issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users