Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD Health: Advice Needed

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 smithee16

smithee16

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 06:34 AM

Hi,

I was hoping someone could give my SSD stats (using CrystalDisk Info) the once over, and tell me whether there's anything amongst the stats that should concern me.

diskinfo.png

Thank-you in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,458 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 06:53 AM

Looks fine to me. Nothing there to give cause for concern.

How old is the SSD.....how long have you had it?

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 500GB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 smithee16

smithee16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 07:01 AM

Looks fine to me. Nothing there to give cause for concern.

How old is the SSD.....how long have you had it?

Hi Mike,

I've had my computer (a new build; new components) since the first few days of 2015, so I'm coming up to nearly 2 years of daily yet light usage (no more than 4 hours per day; sometimes even less). I've got Windows installed on it, as well as anti-virus, office suite, and a couple of other essential non-storage type of programs (CCleaner, etc).

Edited by smithee16, 04 November 2016 - 07:02 AM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:37 AM

Hi

I think I would use something from Kingston to monitor personally.

I use The Intel SSD Toolbox on my Intel SSD drives and the Samsung Magician on my Samsung SSD Drives

And This one for the OCZ (Toshiba) TR150 SSD I am testing currently. Why this one, it was the lowest price for a 1Tb Drive :)

For Example it shows that the firmware is up to date and that Health is 100% and can pop up alerts if there is a problem. And the Firmware release notes show: TR150 Firmware v12.3

Release Notes

Improvements

• Fixed a SMART ADh Issue where SMART Data displayed incorrect erase value count. (Recommended all users update).

Known Issues

• Known compatibility issue with MacBook Pro® NVidia® based chipsets: MCP79, MCP89K.
  • Known compatibility issue with motherboards with NVidia® NForce®9 desktop chipsets.

Since all of my computers are Intel Chipsets and CPUs except for a notebook no problem.

https://ocz.com/us/download/ssd-utility

Kingston® SSD Manager is an application that provides users with the ability to monitor and manage various aspects of their Kingston® Solid State Drive.

With Kingston® SSD Manager you will be able to:

• Monitor drive health, status, and disk usage
  • View drive identification data including model name, serial number, firmware version, and other relevant information
  • Utilize Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology (SMART) and export detailed reports in text format
  • Update drive firmware
  • Securely erase data
  • Manage TCG Opal and IEEE 1667

https://www.kingston.com/us/support/technical/ssdmanager

The Kingston® SSD Toolbox is an installable application that provides users with the ability to monitor various aspects related to the status of their Sandforce-based Kingston SSD.

With the Kingston® SSD Toolbox users will be able to:

• Monitor drive health, status and disk usage
  • View drive identification data including model name, serial number, firmware version, and other relevant information
  • Utilize Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology (SMART) and export detailed reports in .CSV format
  • Update drive firmware
  • Run drive diagnostic scans
  • Securely erase their data ( Windows® 7 only)

https://www.kingston.com/us/support/technical/kingston-ssd-toolbox

FWIW I prefer the manufacturers Utilities for this sort of thing.

Hopefully this will be helpful.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,458 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:42 AM

I really can't see as you've too much to worry about. From the sound of it, it's not like you're a heavy user, and, even though I haven't used Windows myself for a couple of years (I run 'Puppy' Linux), from the sound of things, everything should continue to behave itself for some time to come.

As well as the WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue' in my old Compaq PC, I do have a smaller, 64 GB Kingspec SSD where my Pups 'live'. I run around 8 or 9, but Pup is so small that they all fit on there with room to spare!

Like me, you're not running 'top-end' SSD's (like Intels, or Samsung Evo's or that kind of stuff).That ain't a problem these days. You don't need to spend top dollar to get a reliable SSD now, despite what all the enthusiasts (read 'gamers' :P ) will have you believe. Most of us just don't have that kind of money to throw around, so we tend to buy 'mid-range' stuff....and by & large, it's perfectly acceptable for what most of us want to do.

My entire system is over 12 years old (most Puppy hardware tends to be that kind of age, TBH!), though a lot of stuff has been upgraded recently. So what? It does everything I ask of it.....

I'm satisfied.

No, I can't see you should have any real problems for quite some time to come. I will agree with Roger though; the manufacturer's own utilities are probably more accurate for this kind of thing, since they tend to be set-up specifically for their own hardware & firmware.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 04 November 2016 - 08:53 AM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 500GB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 12:47 PM

Hi Mike

Thanks for the kind words. I do also have a 64GB Transcend PSD330 that I ordered for the old laptop that only has a IDE AKA PATA interface :)

Have a Nice Day

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,458 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 01:16 PM

Hi, Roger.

I do also have a 64GB Transcend PSD330 that I ordered for the old laptop.....

Ah, so it turned up okay, then, did it? How are you getting on with it?

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#8 smithee16

smithee16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 04:48 PM

Hi

I think I would use something from Kingston to monitor personally.

I use The Intel SSD Toolbox on my Intel SSD drives and the Samsung Magician on my Samsung SSD Drives

And This one for the OCZ (Toshiba) TR150 SSD I am testing currently. Why this one, it was the lowest price for a 1Tb Drive :)

Spoiler

https://www.kingston.com/us/support/technical/kingston-ssd-toolbox

FWIW I prefer the manufacturers Utilities for this sort of thing.

Hopefully this will be helpful.

Roger

Great stuff. Thanks for the heads-up about the software. Just downloaded and installed Kingston SSD Toolbox. Here's the info in CSV form:

kingston_ssd_info.png

Should ID 5 and 230 be a concern? The status "Pre-fail" sounds ominous.

I really can't see as you've too much to worry about. From the sound of it, it's not like you're a heavy user, and, even though I haven't used Windows myself for a couple of years (I run 'Puppy' Linux), from the sound of things, everything should continue to behave itself for some time to come.

As well as the WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue' in my old Compaq PC, I do have a smaller, 64 GB Kingspec SSD where my Pups 'live'. I run around 8 or 9, but Pup is so small that they all fit on there with room to spare!

Like me, you're not running 'top-end' SSD's (like Intels, or Samsung Evo's or that kind of stuff).That ain't a problem these days. You don't need to spend top dollar to get a reliable SSD now, despite what all the enthusiasts (read 'gamers'  :P ) will have you believe. Most of us just don't have that kind of money to throw around, so we tend to buy 'mid-range' stuff....and by & large, it's perfectly acceptable for what most of us want to do.

My entire system is over 12 years old (most Puppy hardware tends to be that kind of age, TBH!), though a lot of stuff has been upgraded recently. So what? It does everything I ask of it.....

I'm satisfied.

No, I can't see you should have any real problems for quite some time to come. I will agree with Roger though; the manufacturer's own utilities are probably more accurate for this kind of thing, since they tend to be set-up specifically for their own hardware & firmware.

Mike.   :wink:

I'm fishing around for a 2TB 3.5 internal hard drive at the moment. Unfortunately, 1TB just isn't cutting it for me. I'm trying to hit the sweet spot between price, quality, and reliability. On balance, I keep returning to a Seagate (I know, they are iffy, hehe) Seagate ST2000DM001. 

A 12 year-old system? Wow, that must take some dedicated maintenance and regular upgrading to keep going for that amount of time.

I agree with you, whilst I believe in the old adage, "You get what you pay for," sometimes, it's tough to justify spending "hardcore enthusiast" money every few years. So, I suppose it's about striking that satisfying balance where one doesn't end up with egg on their face with duff components, but also running something that doesn't cost more than a family car, lol.

Edited by smithee16, 04 November 2016 - 04:57 PM.

#9 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,458 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 05:47 PM

Hi, smithee.

It belonged to my sister for many years, till XP went EOL. She took the path of least resistance ( as so many non-tech types do), and bought new with Win7 pre-installed.....and I rescued it from its trip to the local landfill.

For 9 years, all that PC did was a bit of eBay-ing, and an occasional game of 'The Sims'! Hardly gut-busting stuff, TBH. It was in nearly 'as new' condition when I got it.....apart from around a ton of dirt & dust-bunnies!

But it's a genuine Compaq (not an HP 'namesake'), so the build quality is astonishing. Compaq always sold to the business community, who wanted, above all else, solid, dependable reliability. And Compaq consistently delivered, during their nearly 20 years in business, before HP bought them out.

I've upgraded most of the major components over the last 18 months; CPU (Athlon 64 single-core to an Athlon 64 dual-core), RAM, PSU, added extra drives, a USB 3.0 PCIe adapter card (I don't bother with a graphics card, got no use for one.....and the onboard ATI Radeon graphics still give an excellent, responsive display); the ability to quickly transfer large amounts of data to-and-from the external Seagate is of far more use to me!

And that SSD actually came out of my 14 yr old Dell laptop, when I upgraded it for a larger one. Dell and Compaq both have IDE/PATA interfaces, although the Compaq also has SATA; it was built around the time those were just coming onto the market. The SSD is my Pup's 'boot drive'.....although they only live on there between sessions; Puppy 'lives' entirely in RAM when it's in use, so it only boots faster. RAM is still an order of magnitude faster than the best SSDs can be....

BTW, I wouldn't worry about those 'pre-fail' messages. You'll get them if you run a test on a brand-new drive that's just been unwrapped and installed! It's just the way that certain S.M.A.R.T data gets presented by the software; nothing to get concerned about. And SMART data is only a rough guide at best; GSmartControl (the Linux version) insisted my first SSD was about to die the day it had been installed, because it's not set-up to deal with SSDs.....  :hysterical:

TBH, learning how to interpret SMART data is a skillset all of its own..! And it's one that not many people master (if ever).....

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 04 November 2016 - 05:56 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#10 smithee16

smithee16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 06:48 PM

That Compaq sounds sublime. Although, I bet you've forgone the flashing LEDs, etc.

I'm looking to purchase a cheap £400-£500 "test system." I'm seriously hamstrung with what I can try out on my desktop (in terms of hardware installations), because I don't really enjoy the thought of playing fast and loose with my only system, minus the laptop of course.

I began dabbling with Linux a year ago. I took an old Dell 2009 laptop that's seen it all (and is still going strong with all its original components), and dual-booted it with a Linux distro and Windows 7. I seriously considered going the same route with my desktop, but with those UEFI shenanigans (the desktop runs Windows 8.1 which, minus the Metro and Start Menu aspects, I really like using) I just didn't bother. 

Cheers for the SSD advice. It's all quite overwhelming at times, hehe.

Edited by hamluis, 06 November 2016 - 10:38 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#11 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,458 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 07:02 PM

Well, if you've got a taste of Linux, you could do worse than to give Puppy a try. You can do a 'frugal' install to a USB stick (Pup is still, AFAIK, the only small Linux distro ever to be specifically designed to run, as standard, from a USB install.....since the very first Pup was built, nearly 13 yrs ago.)

You can set it up so your BIOS will boot from USB first. That way, if you plug your Pup in, it'll boot straight to Puppy; if you want Windows, just run as normal, without Pup plugged in. It works very well.....and that way, you can use Pup on other machines, too!

FatDog, in particular, has been designed to work with UEFI for the last 4-5 years. JamesBond & Kirk, the developers of FatDog, realising that there was no workaround for all the SecureBoot/FastBoot crap, bit the bullet and forked over the required $99 for a UEFI 'licence' from MyCrudSoft. And that licence has been shared among the Puppy developers who've been building the newer 64-bit Pups ever since.

Pups are very versatile little critters...  :P

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#12 smithee16

smithee16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 08:01 AM

Oh, I really do want to start experimenting with Linux. I really like what I've seen so far with Elementary OS on my laptop, and I appreciate that's an entry-level distro, but it really does seem like such great fun.

I had no idea anything such as FatDog even existed. Well, that's made my life infinitely easier. Thanks for the heads up.

#13 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,458 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:58 PM

Hi, Smithee.

Well, any time you're ready to start 'experimenting', pay us a visit in the 'Linux & Unix' sub-forum, and let us know what you want to do. Plenty of folks there who'll be more than happy to help you get up-and-running.

If you want to download FatDog64 and try it out on a USB stick in the meantime, here you go:-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/

It's probably easiest to burn the ISO to CD as a 'LiveCD' first, boot from that, then use the built-in Puppy Universal Installer to install to a USB stick. It's an excellent way to run Puppy; it's easy to run from multiple machines while keeping all your apps & customization exactly as you've set them, and in the event of Windows 'throwing a wobbly', you can use Pup to rescue stuff from Windows....and sometimes to even fix it..!

See how you get on with it. Any problems, you know where to find us. 700, 701, 702.....any of those should be fine. Another excellent source of help with this is the Puppy Linux Forums, specifically this sub-forum:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=34

I'd also strongly recommend giving Tahr64 6.05 a look, too. This is based on the binaries from Ubuntu 14.04 'Trusty Tahr', one of the LTS (Long-Term Support) releases, supported till 2019. So you've got access to the huge Ubuntu software repositories (itself one of those things that takes some getting used to for new Linux users, the fact that they're like a 'one-stop' shop for all your software needs....no need to hunt around the web for apps!) That, and the fact that everything is checked, and certified to be 'bug-free' before it even makes it into the repos.....

http://puppylinux.com/

Give 'em a try, and let us know how you're getting on with 'em.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 06 November 2016 - 01:25 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#14 smithee16

smithee16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 05:44 AM

Will do, Mike. I think I'm coming to the end of my "test installation" period. I'm ironing some issues out with my Windows PC, and once that's done I should be good to go. Thanks for the guidance on the Linux issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users