Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are password-protected GAME files infected?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stereoeggs

Stereoeggs

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 06:14 AM

Hello, all....

I think my Windows 7 (64 bit Pro) computer may be infected with a virus or other malware due to strange behavior. 

After running a free copy of Kaspersky Security Scan, the report it generated said I have over 120 password-protected files that it suggested may be infected with a virus or other malware. Most of the files listed are game files, and part of just one game I have loaded on my computer...and most of those password-protected files are of the type "map_014.dat" where the number "014" changes, however, it appears that not all of the numbered "map".dat files were found by Kaspersky to be password-protected. 

I have a number of games loaded on my computer, yet Kaspersky only found some of the files in this one game to be password-protected. Does this mean that these files are likely infected? ...And should I just delete and reinstall the entire game? Do game developers often password-protect only some game files but not all of them? 

Does anyone have any advice as to what, if anything, I should do about the other, non-game files that Kaspersky listed as "password-protected"...which would not be as easy to just delete and "reinstall"? 

Thanks for any help or advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 01:49 PM

See the results of this Google Search: password protected game files - Google Search

From one link: (Bit Defender)

Password protected files belong, in most cases, to certain legitimate software. They are protected with a randomly generated password by their developers to avoid reverse engineering for malicious purposes.

Most commonly, the password-protected items are:
  • Files that belong to another security solution
  • Files that belong to the operating system

If you want to further investigate...suggest you start a new topic in the Malware Removal Forum by following the instructions below.

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.

• If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.

When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs...start the new topic anyway. Explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.

DO NOT bump your new topic. Wait for a response from one of the Team Members.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Stereoeggs

Stereoeggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:52 PM

Thanks for your response. ...Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. 

My problem was a "crashing" PC. While I had updated antivirus protection installed, malware was suggested as a possible cause, and it was also suggested that it might be best to run a scan using an antivirus program burned to a bootable disc.  

I also received several suggestions that my crashing PC might be due to a failing PSU.

After a lot of time and thought, I decided to take the plunge and buy a new power supply so that I could verify whether or not my original one was faulty. After I put in the new power supply, my computer stopped crashing and everything has been running smoothly. So...it was a faulty power supply that was causing the problems.

Thanks, again, for your response. I filed it away for potential future use.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,263 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:48 PM

Expanding on what buddy215 said.

"Object is locked skipped", "File locked", "Locked file. Not tested", "file cannot be accessed, "Access Denied", "Some files could not be scanned", "file could not be opened", "Error Opening", "unable to open", "Password Protected" or "Encrypted" notations in an anti-virus/anti-malware scan are not uncommon. Some files and services are locked by the operating system or running programs during use for protection, so security scanners may encounter problems attempting to access them. Other legitimate files, especially those used by security programs, may be obfuscated, encrypted or password protected in order to conceal itself so they do not allow access as a protective measure. When the scanner finds such an object, it makes a note and then just skips to the next one. That explains why it may show with such notations but no action taken in certain anti-virus or anti-malware log scan reports. These are normal when using security scanning programs so there is seldom a need for concern.

Note: It is also not unusual for an anti-virus or anti-malware scanner to have problems with or be suspicious of compressed, archived, .cab, .rar, .jar, .iso, and packed files because they have difficulty reading what is inside them. These kind of files often trigger alerts by security software using heuristic detection because they are resistant to scanning (difficult to read). This resistance may also result in some scanners to stall (hang) on these particular types of files or just ignore (skip) them.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users