Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Completely random disconnections from network

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gh567

gh567

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:32 AM

Hi all!

Hopefully this is the right place to post this problem that I have, I feel like it falls under general networking issues. Please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong place though.

Long story so please bear with me while I cover all the detail I can.

I've had this issue for going on 3 years now, and its been driving me insane. I just can't figure out what's causing this to occur.

Basically, my PC will randomly/intermittently lose its connection to my local network. I've established its definitely the network and not just the internet through steps explained further down. This seems to happen for no apparent reason that I can spot, and at completely random times of the day. It can happen multiple times a day, not at all, or any variation thereof. When it does happen, it can cause me to remain disconnected anywhere from a few minutes up to multiple days.

Strangest thing is, it doesn't matter whether I'm on a wired ethernet, or wireless connection, it occurs on both.

Only my PC is affected by this issue. There is multiple other devices on the network; phones, tablets, laptops, PC's, consoles, chromecast devices etc. that all work fine. All these other devices work perfectly while my PC is having this issue. I've also brought in laptops from work etc. to be thoroughly sure and they definitely work with no similar issues on both the wireless and ethernet connections.

To give you some background, this started shortly after I moved into a flat with 5 others, (so there's always been multiple other devices working on the network since I've had this problem), and has also followed me into a different rental house with 2 of the same flatmates.

It started happening on Windows 7, and has followed me across 8.1 and on to Windows 10 after I upgraded at the start of 2016.
Not only has the OS changed, this year I've also upgraded my motherboard, CPU, GPU and wireless NIC, so it's almost as if the PC is a completely different unit, and it still occurs.

I've tried for 3 years to fix this, and have tried a large number of different networking "fixes" that I've seen on the internet, but nothing has worked so far.

Things I've experienced and noticed about the issue:
  • Most times the only way to tell something's wrong is to do a ping -t, which shows time outs (I've got screenshots of this happening if anyone thinks it would be useful to see)
  • Can't ping the router when it does happen, i.e. local connection/network drop rather than just the internet.
  • Can't ping Google's DNS when it drops out (8.8.8.8)
  • Always show's DNS client errors in Event Viewer. "Event ID 1014 - Name resolution for the name **** timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded."
  • Sometimes Windows will have the warning icon over network adapter in task bar. Most of the time it doesn't.
  • Windows diagnostics never solves issue. Usually shows the below message:
    "Your broadband modem is experiencing connectivity issues
    Restart your broadband modem:
    1. Unplug or turn off the modem
    2. After all the lights on the modem are off wait at least 10 seconds
    3. Turn the modem on or plug it back into the power outlet
    The connection between your access point, router or cable modem and the internet is broken."
    I also get the diagnosis:
    "The DNS server isn't responding
    Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server)"

• Or more often that not Windows just won't show as anything being wrong with the connection.
  • When it cuts out Chrome will show:
    "There is no Internet connection
    Try:
    Checking the network cables, modem, and router
    Reconnecting to Wi-Fi
    Running Windows Network Diagnostics
    DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET"
    Or:
    "This site can’t be reached
    www.google.co.nz’s server DNS address could not be found.
    Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
    DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN"

• There's nothing obviously wrong with the modem as far as I can tell as all other users and my other devices stay connected while my PC cuts out.
  • Also happens in safe mode with networking, maybe it's something on the network/router conflicting with my PC?
Possibly its some kind of device conflict? Recently my flatmates went away for a week and I had uninterrupted internet. As soon as they came back it started happened again.
Weirdly though, it can happen to me at like 2am when they're not actively using devices (that I know of) and my PC will still the issue.

Some of the things I've tried (none of these have fixed the issue):
  • re-installed Windows 7 completely
  • re-installed Windows 10 completely
  • not signed in to PC with a Windows account
  • turning off/disabling all Windows Firewall's doesn't help.
  • sfc /scannow shows no errors
  • local hosts file works correctly. Manually overwrote Google to go to 10.0.0.1, and it was able to recognise that.
  • Changing to Google's DNS settings doesn't help.
  • Have uninstalled and reinstalled network adapters multiple times.
  • Pretty sure I've tried booting with services disabled etc. but I can't remember the specifics so I'm open to trying anything again.
  • TCP/IP reset doesn't fix
  • Neither does: ipconfig /flushdns, ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew
  • I have wireshark installed and have attempted to decipher the read outs, but my networking skills aren't top notch. I can't work out what's going on with that unfortunately.
I've been trawling through solutions on the internet about this ever since its been happening with no success so far.

I've attached the mini tool box output to my post in case its needed. This was run while the network was working. Obviously this shows some errors if I run it while disconnected. I can upload this one too if anyone thinks it will be useful.

This issue has literally driven me insane. Help me BleepingComputer community! You're my only hope!

Thanks in advance

Attached Files

• Attached File  MTB.txt   27.56KB   1 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:39 AM

Something sounds faulty hardware wise.

You have completely eliminated the possibility that it is the OS by installing 2 different ones and having the same issue.

As your router works fine that leaves 2 other possible options: the NIC's or the mobo.

As you have 2 NIC's and it happens with both, that leaves 1 answer.

The motherboard.

After you've eliminated all the possibilities what you're left with, however unlikely, must be the answer.

Edited by TsVk!, 04 November 2016 - 03:44 AM.

#3 gh567

gh567
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:43 AM

Hi TsVk, I have actually tried a PCIe Ethernet card before without any improvement so I'm pretty sure it's not a faulty adapter. Cheers

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 04:00 AM

I edited my post gh567... sorry about that.

#5 gh567

gh567
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 05:13 AM

No worries. Only thing is, this is already my second motherboard since this issue started happening. I guess its possible they both could be faulty. But the first one worked fine until I moved into the flat and this issue started happening.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 05:45 AM

Oh wow... you're really persistent. I would have passed the machine on long ago.

You could try installing a Linux installation like Mint next to Windows, see if it runs without networking errors. The installer will give you the option to do that, there's no additional drivers or software required.

It really sounds like a hardware issue though.

#7 gh567

gh567
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 04:20 PM

Yeah I know, but I kind of feel like it's pretty much a new machine anyway as I've replaced the main components.

I'll try your suggestion though and report back..

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 06:06 PM

Something that occurred to me also... Do you think one of your house mates could be messing with you by fiddling with the router?

You could change the admin password of the router and see if that changes anything.

Edited by TsVk!, 05 November 2016 - 06:08 PM.

#9 gh567

gh567
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 06:48 PM

I had thought about that previously yeah, but I don't believe that's the case. They've tried to help solve my issue too..

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 06:49 PM

Did Linux work on the machine?

#11 gh567

gh567
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:33 PM

To be honest today's the first day I've been able to sit down with the PC and actually look to installing it. I've never been hands on with Linux before though so just wondering how I actually go about installing it alongside Windows?

I've got the ISO file on a flash drive at the moment, do I need to create a bootable USB?

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 01:20 AM

Yeah, you create a bootable USB. Yumi can make that easy.

Here's sites that can tell you how to do it, it's very easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users