Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dhcp Error

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bnrr

bnrr

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:53 AM

Hello
I hope that someone in the BleepingComputer community/team would be able to help me.
I have a system with 2 OS:win2000 pro and XP pro. motherboard: Gigabyte i-DNA GeForce
GA-K8N51GMF-9 939 socket AMD 64 3500+ processor Memory: 2gigabyte DDR4 WD IDE
200 gigabyte(win2000) and WD SATA 250gigabyte(XP). I use win2000 to surf the internet,
and during the session I get an error message that internet explorer needs to close because
it encounter a system error. I check the event viewer and it reported: The IP address lease
192.168.0.2 for the networkcard with network address 001485635CBB has been denied by
DHCP server0.0.0.0 (The DHCP server sent a DHCPNACK message). Thinking that my ISP
is having a problem with their server, so contact them and ask if there are any problems, and
they inform me that they are not experiencing any network problems at all.
I check my device manager no yellow mark on network card, troubleshoot and cannot find any
problems at all. the network card is an onboard, so I check the BIOS and it is configured for use.
I do not get the error message when using interet explorer in XP pro. I am at lost as to what
to do next to resolve the issue. Please help.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:21 AM

Do you have any errors in the event log in XP related to IP addressing?
Are you using a router? If so, what is the make and model? How long has this been occuring? Have you tried to power down the service providers modem, the router(if you have one), and anything else that is sharing out you internet connect? Is this DSL or cable highspeed access?
JC

#3 bnrr

bnrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:44 PM

Hi Joshuacat

Thanks for your reply. I check the event log in XP pro and this is what is log:
Product: Windows Operating system.
Event ID: 1001.
Source: DHCP.
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: Event_Failed_To_Obtain_Lease
Message: Your computer was not assigned an address for the network (by the DHCP server) for the network card with network address %1.
The following error occurred: %2. Your computer will continue to try and obtained an address on its own from the network (DHCP) server.
The DHCP client could not contact the DHCP server.
User Action: No user action is required. the DHCP client will automatically try to contact the server again. If you expect a DHCP address and you still cannot contact the server, verify that the client is on a network that has a DHCP server.
The error is the same as event log in win2000 pro, but unlike win XP pro when the error occur XP IE does not close but win2000 IE does.
As for using a router, yes. the router in use is a Trendnet cable/DSL 4-port firewall router. TW100-BRF114 SPI firewall. Supports: Dynamic IP,
fixed IP, PPPoE and PPTP. Managment: Web browser configuration and remote managemet. Connetcted: 2 desktop and 2 laptops. I am using a cable highspeed (100 Mbps ) with motorola modem.
The problem is only with win2000 whenever I use IE and it happen only after I installed win2000 together with XP. I hope this is more then enough information to help with a solution.

Thanks

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:38 PM

Let's double check a few things on the Window 2000 computer..do you have your computer setup to obtain IP information automatically?
See here - How do I configure the TW100-BRF114?

Can you release and renew your IP address?
See here - How To Release and/or Renew IP Addresses on Windows XP | 2000 | NT

As a workaround, you could probably just give the Windows 2000 a static IP.
JC

#5 bnrr

bnrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:51 AM

Hi Joshua
I had followed you technical advice and I do not get the DHCP error any more, but now my Internet Explorer crashes after a one hour session.
check event viewer and found message:
source: Microsoft Ineternet.
Type: Error. Category:none.
Event ID:1001.
The description for event ID(1001) in source(Microsoft Internet) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from remote computer. the following information is part of the event 207393050.
when experiencing problems with the DHCP error, did not have problems with IE. did I do something wrong while working on the DHCP error? Is the message informing me that I am missing DLL files? did I some how delete it without knowing it?.

#6 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:08 AM

Could you please confirm that your operating system is fully updated and patched?

had followed you technical advice and I do not get the DHCP error any more

Which one? :thumbsup:
JC

#7 bnrr

bnrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 05:26 PM

I work on renew and release IP address, but now in my network connection the icon for internet connection reads 'network connection 2.
my OS is up to date and patch. I do not understand this, or is this weird I have been on the net for over 3 hours and no IE crashes? does this mean everything is ok?

#8 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:17 PM

If it starts again on a regular basis, let us know.

Good-luck.
JC

#9 bnrr

bnrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:23 AM

Thank you Joshua for the helpful information in my system problems.
everything is just A+ ok.

#10 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:05 AM

Great! Thanks for letting us know. :thumbsup:

Take care.
JC