Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Electric Dusters & Static

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NoviceTechie

NoviceTechie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 11:19 PM

Hi,

I've been using a DataVac ED-500 Electric Duster (https://www.metrovacworld.com/product/DataVac_Electric_Duster/overview) for a while now, maybe 3 years or so.It's branded as an Electric Duster and its product page states it's meant to be use for electronics.

Recently I saw the manufacturer started selling another model ED500-ESD (https://www.metrovacworld.com/product/DataVac_ESD_Safe_Electric_Duster/overview).Apparently it's an anti-static model.

Since 2012, I've read people on these forums had been using the ED-500 base model with computers. But now I'm a bit confused. Have we all been using a model that was actually generating static, or causing damage to our electronics?

Pardon me in advance - I don't know much about static, or its corresponding physics.

Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 10:54 AM

This type of vacuum cleaner is intended for use with electronics as it does not generate static electricity like a conventional vacuum will.  Both models you have listed should be pretty much the same.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 NoviceTechie

NoviceTechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 01:33 PM

I think you're right. I was curious why they released 2 different models.  Granted the first one is from 2003. The new ESD version is from 2015.

The units look the same. Both already utilize grounded plugs. The only thing that seems to differentiate them are their accessories. Apparently the newer version has antistatic plastic?

I appreciate the response, Arachibutyrophobia. Thank you.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,805 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:14 PM

ESD was just a way to get a new model to market.  A buzz word  ESD

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 01:14 AM

ESD - Electrostatic Discharge is real, not a "buz word".

Most of us have experienced walking across the floor in the winter, reaching for the door knob only to receive visual spark and shock that literally hurt.  Do you know the voltage threshold necessary to produce that kind of shock?  How about between 2,000 and 3,000 volts!  Know how many volts it takes to kill a RAM module?  How about 10 volts.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users