Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

please help me recover damaged hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gib65

gib65

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:23 PM

Hello,

I have an external drive that's been damaged. When I plug it into my computer, it recognizes it as "My Passport 259F". But it won't mount it. I can't really do anything with it except see that it's there.

I'm wondering if someone can help me troubleshoot this. Really, all I want to do is try to get the data off it. What can I try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:40 PM

Try the following. Download Fatdog64 and burn the iso to a CD. If you have a Windows 7 or later computer right click the iso file and select Burn Disk Image. 

Boot Fatdog. If your computer was pre-installed with Windows 8 or later computer you may need to disavle SecureBoot and possibly enable CSM or Legacy boot in your UEFI settings.

Once booted to the Fatdog Desktop attach your external drive. A USB icon will appear next to your hard drive partitions which will be labeled sdaX depending on how many partitions are on the hard drive. Click once on the USB icon. If the drive mounts a File Manager window will open showing the files on the external drive. 

If your files are detected then post back and I will give instructions on copying the files from the hard drive to the internal hard drive or another USB external flash drive.

If your files are not detected then we can try using another program to scan for files.

What is the make and model of the computer and what OS does it have?

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/

Fatdog64-702.iso

#3 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 02:03 AM

If all JohnC's good advice results in a no go. Bag the drive up securely and pop it in the freezer for a couple of hours.

Then take it out and quickly (very quickly!) try to see if you can see the drive to get some files off.

If it goes dead again just repeat the freezer until all files are recovered.

Folk might be skeptical but I always use this as a last resort trick   (it works half the time)

#4 gib65

gib65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:17 PM

Thanks for the tips both,

I tried the freezer trick. Unfortunately, it didn't work (tried to be as quick as I could).

I'm downloading the iso as we speak. Will need to find a CD drive. Might take a while. Will get back when I finally get around to doing it.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:31 AM

I hope you put the drive into zip lock bags before putting the drive into the freezer. This prevents moisture buildup within the drive. 

http://lifehacker.com/5515337/save-a-failed-hard-drive-in-your-freezer-redux

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 November 2016 - 08:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users