Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

universal file recovery program

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nightmare-Rex

Nightmare-Rex

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:36 PM

hey is there any really GOOD file recovery program out there? like i have tried some and they cover 517x or so file types 7xx or so file types whatever but i use really uncommon files. such as .esm .esp .bsa .nds .ebt .dol .nif .gba .gb,,,,,.... .crap .youarefile .likeanything.. eta eta like litterly i need a file recovery program that goes over ALL file types in existence, and unexistance is there such a program or only common and semi common file types are recoverable?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:14 PM

I'm pretty sure TestDisk just restores file system tables, doesn't even query the file types.

Could be wrong though.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:23 PM

Reading more... It's not signature based like PhotoRec. (and most other file recovery softwares)

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Undelete_files_from_NTFS_with_TestDisk

Should recover anything with a name, as long as the file isn't damaged.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:07 PM

PhotoRec can recover files doing a scan of the hard drive. Here is a list of the files it can scan for. Note: Files recovered have generic names with the correct extension and files are recovered in real time. These scanning programs look at the bytes at the beginning of a and end of a file. Each extension has it's own signature, kind of a fingerprint. You can add custom extensions to PhotoRec. These programs are used if the MFT is lost or corrupted which in that case TestDisk cannot work.

Another program, but I have not experience with, is called scalpel which can file carve by scanning a disk. There are many sites on the internet that can explain scalpel.

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Features/Recovering-Deleted-Files-with-Scalpel

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 November 2016 - 09:09 PM.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:23 PM

You can add custom extensions to PhotoRec.

I didn't know that. Thanks mate.

#6 Nightmare-Rex

Nightmare-Rex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:23 PM

ok thanks i will try this but problem is this was a wii that it happend on i belive it was formatted to FAT32. it corrupted when i made a bad orcana code for resident evil 4 to change the color of the gun modifier code. i know the files are still there thugh because a program was able to pull common filetypes up.

#7 Nightmare-Rex

Nightmare-Rex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:56 PM

ok i just attempted to recover it with the fat link at the bottom of the ntfs page it was linked at but it is not showing in the list of available drives. it is currently in RAW format according to windows. not showing in testdisk at all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users