Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

request to repair damaged files completely removes folder?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lychee203

lychee203

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 04:12 PM

When I plugged my external hard drive into my laptop recently, I received a request to repair certain damaged files.  Thinking that the fixes would be rather minor, I agreed with the operation, however it completely deleted a folder with my study materials.  Is there a way to retrieve this folder that had been deleted.  The folder itself seems to be turned into a 0 byte sized folder.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 04:23 PM

If the process Windows used was chkdsk there is a good possibility those files are gone. Are there any chk files in a folder called found.000 on the root of your external hard drive disk? 

A poster who had a somewhat similar problem with Windows 10 albeit chkdsk did not run or complete they were able to recover files in the zero byte folder using a live linux disk. You may need to disable SecureBoot and also enable Legacy or CSM boot in order for the live linux disk to boot.

Burn an iso of Fatdog64 to a CD by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image. Boot to the fatdog desktop. Connect your external drive. A USB icon will appear in the lower left of the desktop next to your hard drive partitions. Click once on the USB icon, the disk will mount, and a File Manager window will open. Click once on any folder to open it. If you can see your files in the opened folder post back and I will give instructions on copying files from the external drive to the internal hard drive. Hopefully if you do find them they will not be corrupted.

Fatdog64

Fatdog64-702.iso

#3 lychee203

lychee203
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 04:49 PM

oh thanks. they were totally in a found.000 folder.  Recovered them in a linux boot.  Why is windows unable to see the folders?  

Thanks btw.  

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 04:55 PM

I am not sure why Windows could not see the chk files. Is it possible you have not enabled hidden or system files in Windows?. Because you have recovered the CHK files you can use several utilities to recover your files if possible.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-recover-chk-files-created-by-chkdsk-and-scandisk/

Edit: I would work with copies of the chk files.

Edit Edit: If you have any other important files on the drive I would back them up before doing a disk diagnostic with Seatools for Windows.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 November 2016 - 04:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users