Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think I have undetected malware

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Dan8086

Dan8086

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:02 PM

My Asus  Windoes 10 desktop started acting strange lately.  Here are the symptoms I am seeing

1)  The Network connection ( Ethernet ) will show no connection while browsing.  I see this with Firefox and  chrome although more so with chrome.  It does not seem to be dependent on where I am browsing, but it might be associated with high ad pages.  The first time this happened, I inspected the devise manager to find 6 to 8 wan miniport devices that were not there before.  I disabled them and they seem to have gone.  Not too sure when or how.

2) The networking device shows up correctly in the device manager and has latest driver

3) When the network goes away, I can get it back working by disabling the network connection in  device manager, re-enabling it, and then scanning for new hardware.  

4) Occasionally, after doing this, I will get non digital noise on the monitor and the system will BSOD.

5) I tried to do a reset of windows 10, but it failed.  Upon reboot, it initially could not find a kernel file (sorry I did not get the name, I was busy panicking).  After a few reboots, it got back running, but informed me that the reset did not take place.  I have not been brave enough to retry.

6) I scanned  the system with AVG and malwarebytes, but found nothing.

7) I did a reset on Firefox with no improvement

8) I completely replaced my Firefox folder with a known good  one and it seemed to get better for a bit, but then the problem started again 

9) I have not run Chrome since the problems started

10) The problems started around the time I installed Chrome.

11) When I replaced Firefox, I did notice that the new firefox.exe did not match the size of the supposed bad one I was replacing not sure if that is relevant or not.  They were of the same version. (49.02?)

Any advise or insights would definitely be appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users