Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Locked out of Admin... my fault...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fiasco6

Fiasco6

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:15 AM

So here is the story...

My work is very family oriented and I am the IT guy for the whole office, plus the owners whole family. His wife constantly, I mean CONSTANTLY has computer problems. She is one of those people who click on anything. So I had a great idea! She cannot mess things up too badly if she does not have Admin access. So I created another User, took away her administrative powers. Then I went into the registry and deleted my Admin User.

Everythings been great, she has not had issues for years.

Fast forward 4 years to today... She has a new printer, it won't install without admin access. Also, there is some family genealogy program that she uses that got bought out and now she needs to install the new software to save her family history.

So how do I gain admin access from this little mess I've made for myself.

I honestly thought (back then) that I wouldn't still be working here and it would be an issue for the next IT guy haha.

Edited by Fiasco6, 03 November 2016 - 10:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:41 AM

Enable the Hidden Administrator Account. After you enable it and create a new Admin account then give the Admin account a good password. After creating a new Admin account disable the Hidden Administrator account by typing the following in an elevated command prompt in the Admin account.

net user administrator /active:no

http://www.wintips.org/enable-administrator-account-or-reset-admin-account-password-windows-8-windows-7-or-windows-vista/

#3 Fiasco6

Fiasco6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 09 November 2016 - 01:56 PM

Enable the Hidden Administrator Account. After you enable it and create a new Admin account then give the Admin account a good password. After creating a new Admin account disable the Hidden Administrator account by typing the following in an elevated command prompt in the Admin account.

net user administrator /active:no

http://www.wintips.org/enable-administrator-account-or-reset-admin-account-password-windows-8-windows-7-or-windows-vista/

Worked like a charm, thank you so much

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 10 November 2016 - 11:30 AM

Your Welcome,

Thanks for taking the time to post an update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users