Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New flash drive frequently becoming corrupt

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:16 AM

I am having a problem with a $20 8GB i-Ecko flash drive where it becomes corrupt frequently and I am constantly having the message pop up, "Do you want to scan and fix" and I frequently get "Problems were found and fixed", not every time but most of the time, like only 20% of the time it tells me that there was no problems. This flash drive is only a little over a month old and I got it at the college bookstore so I am pretty sure this is not a cheap flash drive.

I Googled the problem but only results on how to recover files from corrupt flash drives showed up. There was nothing regarding flash drive frequently becoming corrupt. I even threw quotes around "frequently corrupt" but that only gave me really old unrelated results for various programs, still nothing regarding flash drives becoming corrupt frequently.

Anybody know what the problem could be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:01 AM

Anybody know what the problem could be?

Not really. There is always the chance of a bad device or it isn't a real 8GB flash drive!

At my work they purchase several 32GB flash drives from a company, after doing a true test all of them only accept around 8GB without problems...

My suggestion format the drive and download H2testw https://www.heise.de/download/product/h2testw-50539/download to test if it really can save/read the 8GB advertised, if not I would ask for a replacement on the store.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 05:38 PM

There are dozens of cut-rate thumb drives, every amateur in Asia and the Pacific Rim orders generic, low-cost circuit boards, puts their case around it and sells it to American retailers who don't give a rodent's posterior if it works or not, as long as they can get a fast buck out of it and disappear into the fog before an unhappy customer responds.

Buy quality and you won't have problems.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users