Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video playback became washed out

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hardadsl

hardadsl

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:29 AM

Hi,

I have a Samsung i7 laptop running Win10, with NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M graphic card and Intel® HD Graphics 4000.

I've just started to watch more movies in it lately, once I've bought an external BD-ROM unit. Sometimes I connect the laptop to a TV using HDMI connection. Sometimes, I'm good with the Laptop monitor.

Well, I tweaked all around as I wanted to have more control over image set up. I don't remember "applying" any changes, but I fooled around all over. I visited the Intel Graphics section (systray), the GeForce control panel options, I even checked color management profiles. Again, I don't remember saving/applying anything.

Here's what's happening now... My laptop monitor seems to behave OK, with correct colors, brightness, contrast. But when I play video (BluRays and maybe also mkv files) image seems washed out. There's too much brightness or contrast on it, and that happens regardless of the software I'm using (PowerDVD, MPC and other softwares will all play all the same, with washed out image).

I don't know if my fooling around was the cause, or the connecting/disconnecting to the TV via HDMI was the cause. But whenever it is, it affects not only playback itself, but screencaps of the playback. Reboot won't help. Changing player software setting also won't help, as the issue affects all of them (PowerDVD, MPC etc.)

Also, I'm not sure if everything is all right concerning drivers. When I access the GeForce section at control panel, I don't see display options, only 3D options (I honestly don't remember if it was like that since always, or if that is a sign of conflict).

It seems that something is out of the default, and I'd like to get back to it. I'd like to be able to play BDs again with no image tweaking, as I like to get screencaps faithful to the BD/DVD releases for later comparison...   

Edited by hamluis, 03 November 2016 - 08:29 AM.
Moved from Audio/Video Apps to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hardadsl

hardadsl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 05:51 PM

Well, I somehow did apply a bad color setting that affected only video on Intel® HD Graphics 4000. I restored original settings and everything went back to normal. I am still doing some tests in order to be sure it's all good. But apparently it is. 

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 06:45 PM

Thanks for telling us what the problem was and how you fixed it.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users