Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezing due to ram voltage?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 JonTheDriver

JonTheDriver

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 04:38 AM

My computer has been freezing randomly for a few months now. When it freezes, sometimeso there's a soft looping or buzzing sound if I'm watching a video or playing games. Once it froze while I was idling on desktop. I've tried to ran many diagnostic tests but there's no issues detected.

I've seen in the Internet that ram voltages may be the key to this random freezes. I have no idea on this subject so I'm asking here: can lowering ram voltages prevent this kind of problems?

Specs
Intel i5 6500
Gskills rip jaws v 2400
MSI z170 sli plus
Sapphire r9 390
WD 1tb blue
Samsung evo750 240gb
CoolerMaster v650 psu

The manufacturer of my ram states that the voltage for the ram should be at 1.5v. I don't over clock it. Also, the ram has passed 3 tests on memtest with no issue

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:54 AM

Unless you are overclocking, including the memory, it's doubtful that the default voltage to the memory is going to cause freezing problems. However....have you actually checked the power supply for correct voltages supplied to components, including the memory?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 JonTheDriver

JonTheDriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:27 AM

I see.

How do I actually check the psu for the voltage it's supplying to the components though?

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,772 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:42 AM

The only way is to have a tester that will read voltages as well as test for connections. I suppose a good test meter might also work if you know how to use one. If you have an extra power supply that you know is good you can swap it with the original.

You might get more answers from readers if you listed in detail the steps you already have taken to test the components. Possibly someone can suggest something you might have missed.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 JonTheDriver

JonTheDriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 07:07 AM

Hmm I don't have a tester that I can use. Maybe I'll invest in one

Basically this freezing is very random. I've sent it to 2 computer shops. They performed diagnostic tests and said that there was no problem with it.

I myself have done tests. They include memtest, fur mark, cpu stress tests as well as hard drive tests such as seatools. All reported no errors.

I've updated my drivers as well as my bios. Windows is also frequently updated. The person at the computer shop also freshly installed windows.

Due to this, I'm at my wits end trying to find out the root of the freezing. One person on another forum suggested changing power points or to cease using a power brick. I recently moved house, and therfore am using different power points. I also do not use a power brick. Any suggestions to what could be the problem?

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,772 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 06:38 PM

We can step through a diagnostic regimen to check out your hardware. This takes time and patience and we will have to repeat some tests you have done already.  If you want to do this I am happy to walk you through it, but once we start we have to complete and you have to be ready to devote some time to this. 

#7 JonTheDriver

JonTheDriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:23 AM

Yes I would like to get to the bottom of this, so doing those tests will be on my agenda.

However my situation is this. Due to my job requirements, I stay out of home and only go back during the weekends. Therefore I can only perform those tests and use my computer on Saturdays and Sundays. As a result, correspondence between us may be a little slow and irregular.

Despite this, if you are still willing to help, I will really appreciate it. This problem has been bugging me for many months and I feel uneasy to use to for official work.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:53 AM

When the computer freezes does it just freeze for a few seconds and then start functioning properly again without restarting?

Are you receiving a blue screen of an error message?

What operating system are you running?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 JonTheDriver

JonTheDriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:01 AM

dc3:

It hard freezes such that I have to hold the power button to restart windows. There's no BSOD. It just locks. I have tried hitting the caps lock button on my keyboard but it doesn't light up. I'm using Windows 10 64bit

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,772 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:22 AM

Thanks for letting me know about your schedule; week-ends is fine with me, no problem. One of the things we both will have to be patient about is that your freezing problem is only occasional. If it was constantly happening regularly that actually makes if easier. The first thing I would like to do is check out your hardware. I assume that this is a desktop computer (as opposed to a laptop or notebook), please correct me if I am wrong.

I need an overall idea of what you have. Please post a Speccy log as follows:

Please go Here and download Speccy system analyzer (free) and save to your computer's desktop. Install it.

Open Speccy. Give it a few seconds to scan your system.

Click File \Publish Snapshot.

In the next screen, click yes.

In the next screen, click Copy To Clipboard.

In your next post, paste that link in the post. Do not post the entire log, just the link provided.

> Please Reset the BIOS as follows:
Power down; unplug your computer's power cable from the wall socket; press the power switch for 3 seconds. Remove the BIOS battery; move the Clear CMOS jumper per your book instructions, usually from one set of pins to another, wait 10 seconds, then move back into original position. Replace the battery and try to boot. Now...if your board does not have a clear jumper, then skip that step. Just remove the battery with the power cord disconnected, wait 5 minutes and replace. Then power-up.

> While the case side is open, check the motherboard capacitors for failure. Capacitors look like small, "Quaker Oats" round boxes set on-end. They are commonly silver color, but can be black, green or brown. The tops of these should be perfectly flat on top; if there are any that are bulging upward, and if there is "goo" on the tops, possibly running down the side, or even on the bottom, that capacitor has failed. Even if the cap to is bulging with no electrolyte seeping out it is bad.

There are many capacitors on a motherboard, some large and some small. Check them all. The easiest way to do this is disconnect the computer and lay it on its side with a bright light shining in, a flashlight is good. If you find any, you have found your problem.

Additional info link:   http://badcaps.net/index.php?pageid=identity Note the pictures on the right hand side. If you find even only one on your mobo, you have found your problem.

Check the hard drive; if you have multiple HDDs installed, or any external drives connected via USB, please disconnect all except for your Windows drive. There are two utilities from Seagate, Seatools for Windows and Seatools for DOS. I want you to use the DOS version for several reasons which I won't take the time to explain here. 

Go here and download Seatools For DOS (free)
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/#

> Accept the EULA and download the ISO file.
> When download is complete burn the ISO to a CD or DVD.
> Disconnect any other hard drives in your computer (not optical drives) leaving only your problem drive connected.
> Make sure your BIOS is set to:   1st Boot Device = CD drive, 2nd Boot Device = Hard Drive.
> Insert the CD in your optical drive and reboot.
> When the program opens, click the upper left corner for the Long Test.
> Note: if you get a pop-up window telling you that SMART has tripped and asking if you want to continue, choose Yes. Be sure to post that in your next reply along with the result of the test.
At the end of the test, you will get either a Pass or Fail notice. Post the result in your next reply.
Be sure to have your hard drive directly installed internally to the motherboard, not in an external case.

This will get you started; post back the results when you can. By the way, I apologize for the varying fonts in my post, I have some of these saved as canned fixes and they paste-in differently at times.

Edited by ranchhand_, 06 November 2016 - 11:27 AM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:24 AM

One of the things that could cause this type of freezing is either a third party application or a driver.  

Do you still have the disc with the driver for your GPU?

If you do, uninstall the the driver in the Device Manager, then reinstall it from the disc.

If this doesn't resolve this I would suggest doing a Clean boot to see if this can find the cause.

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the R key to open Run, then type msconfig in the search box.  This will open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

(1)  Click/tap on the General tab.   

(2)  Click/tap on the Selective startup option. 

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

msconfig_zpsuoxvomjq.png

4.  Click on the Services tab. 

5.  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running. 

6.  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list. 

clean%20boot%203_zpsyvcjopso.png 

7.  Click on Hide all Microsoft services.  Click on Apply then OK  

clean%20boot%202_zpsekds879g.png

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.  

Let me know if the problem persists after restarting the computer.

If the problem does not continue after the restart please do the following.

8.  Devide the number of these services by two and you place checks in the first half of these, then restart
the computer.

9.  If the problem doesn't return in those services remove the checks and place checks in the remaining
services. 

10.  When you find which half the service is in go on to the next step.  

11.  In the half that the problem came back in you should remove the checks from the first half or the
services.

12.  Restart the computer.  If it isn't in the first half of these services, do the same with the last half of the
services. 

13.  Once you have narrowed it down to the last three or four services remove the checks one at a time till
you find the service at fault.

Once you have found the service post it in your topic.  Do not take any action until I suggest the next step.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 JonTheDriver

JonTheDriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:42 AM

To both ranchhand_ and dc3

Thank you both for your quick replies. As previously mentioned in a reply to ranchhand_ , I am only able to work with my computer on the weekends, so I can only be posting the results during Saturdays and Sundays.

I believe that this problem I have may be due to a hardware or a software (possibly driver) issue. To put things in perspective, ranchhand_ is helping with hardware while dc3 is aiding with the software.

Would it be too "messy" to carry out both your tests at the same time? I understand that the both of you are trying to help, and I really appreciate it, but should I start with one particular aspect of the diagnostics(hardware or software)? Or can I run both of your suggestions concurrently?

#13 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,772 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:32 PM

I have no problem with anyone jumping in with suggestions. The complication we will have is twofold:

> First, as I stated earlier, this is an occasional crash, so whatever we do, the computer will have to be run after every config change until it occurs. OR does not occur.

> With several things we are trying all at the same time, which one is alleviating the problem? Or which one is aggravating the problem?

To keep things simple I suggest that I back off until dc3 runs his software suggestions, and if there is no relief we can start again. My approach to these chronic problems such as yours is to take methodical, step-by-step tests starting with hardware, and if no relief moving to system conflicts, then to software conflicts. Then we don't step on each other's toes.

#14 JonTheDriver

JonTheDriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 09:31 AM

To ranchhand:

Thank you for your reply. I shall follow your post and continue on with dc3 steps first. However, may i request you just keep on eye on this thread in the event that i need your assistance. Thank you!

To dc3:

I will try the clean boot and see what happens after that. I will inform you here if anything happens! 

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 09:40 AM

From your response I suspect that you are not aware that anyone posting in this topic will receive a email every time a member posts in the topic, same as you do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users