Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

afraid to disable Secure Boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:17 AM

I am afraid to disable Secure Boot, because I do not know if re-enabling it would be possible.  What could I do?  

Dell Inspiron 5552 laptop

Windows 10, with the 1607 update

I would like to eventually be able to have the option of using Macrium Reflect Free in case I ever need to recover to a good disc image, and this is supposed to rely on turning off or disabling Secure Boot, and after any such recovery, I would want to turn Secure Boot back on.  Maybe I misunderstand much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:37 AM

Aren't most of your concerns and questions answered already by JohnC_21 in this other thread of yours?

Edited by opera, 03 November 2016 - 01:37 AM.

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:52 AM

opera asks:

Aren't most of your concerns and questions answered already by JohnC_21 in this other thread of yours?

No   Not this specific question.  I am not sure if the machine or the system would allow Secure Boot to be re-enabled if it has been disabled.  

Much of the fear comes from information like this:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn481258.aspx

Edited by cafejose, 03 November 2016 - 03:36 AM.

#4 RoselynSoffer

RoselynSoffer

• Banned Spammer
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 04:01 AM

You can easily enable secure boot if you disable it.

How to install it:

1. Uninstall any graphics cards, hardware, or operating systems that aren’t compatible with Secure Boot.

2. Open the PC BIOS menu. You can often access this menu by pressing a key during the bootup sequence, such as F1, F2, F12, or Esc.

Or, from Windows: go to Settings charm > Change PC settings > Update and Recovery > Recovery > Advanced Startup: Restart now. When the PC reboots, go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options: UEFI Firmware Settings.

3. Find the Secure Boot setting, and if possible, set it to Enabled. This option is usually in either the Security tab, the Boot tab, or the Authentication tab.

On some PCs, select Custom, and then load the Secure Boot keys that are built into the PC.

If the PC does not allow you to enable Secure Boot, try resetting the BIOS back to the factory settings.

4. Save changes and exit. The PC reboots.

5. If the PC is not able to boot after enabling Secure Boot, go back into the BIOS menus, disable Secure Boot, and try to boot the PC again.

6. In some cases, you may need to refresh or reset your PC to its original state before you can turn on Secure Boot. 

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 04:46 AM

RoselynSoffer,

Whatever I try, I will try to do WITHOUT disabling Secure Boot.  Either what I try will work or will not, and I'll just have to find out.  

I do not plan to install any graphics cards, hardware, or operating systems.  I may try continuing to learn to use something like Macrium Reflect, or to try to make and run a live-linux on USB flashdrive.  I may try to run something like Norton Bootalbe Recovery Disk  (on DVD).  I really do not want to deal with any  "reset PC to its original state" in order to re-enable Secure Boot.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users