Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just trying to figure out what may have caused these one or two BSODS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 VicVegas

VicVegas

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:11 PM

· OS - Windows 10 home
· x64
· Windows 8.1 when I first built it, I updated to windows 10 via a usb install some time ago.
· Technically the OS I originally bought was full retail, idunno what you'd call the W10 upgrades.
· Age is almost two years old? My memory is a bit fuzzy right now.
· I have reinstalled the OS in the case of the update I guess.

· Intel Core i5-4690K

· EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC
· MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition
· Corsair CX-M Series CX750M

· Built it myself
· Don't suppose I need to put anything here

· Desktop

Happened once while I was recording with Afterburner, then once again while I was streaming with OBS.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 VicVegas

VicVegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:46 PM

Well. You can pretty much ignore this. While trying various fixes I tried updating the BIOS via the update utility, like a complete moron. So now my PC is bricked anyway.

Just another of my various moments of complete and utter stupidity.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:13 PM

That is unfortunate to hear. Did you get a crash during the flashing process? Have you tried removing the battery? Some motherboards have bios protection against this with a bios backup chip.

For future reference, If the system is very unstable then do not flash within windows. Do it from within the bios. However, there is still a margin of error there with hardware failure, PSU failure, unstable bios due to settings, overheating, overclocking etc. Be vigilant and aware.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 05:08 AM

Can you try to re-update the BIOS?

Can't hurt anything and may save things if it's not completely bricked.
Good luck!

FYI - there are places that will replace the CMOS chip if it's truly bricked - search around for them (I haven't looked for this in years)>

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 VicVegas

VicVegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 03:23 AM

Considering that I cannot get back into the BIOS at all (it's just a black screen looping the power) I'm pretty sure I cannot attempt to flash it again. Given how rural my area is I doubt I could find anyone to physically fix it so I just ordered a new board. Once I've got that in there I'll reinstall Windows and update everything. Hopefully it was not a hardware problem in the first place or else I'm just further wasting my time and money.

It's my own fault, I really should have known better than to trust the MSI updater to begin with. I hate to say it but I may have also been a little drunk at the time. Lesson learned I guess.

Man I'm just having a terrible year and this mess is the icing on the cake.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:52 AM

I seem to recalll an MSI problem at work about a year ago.
I updated the BIOS and got the black screen - but it turns out that the BIOS update wasn't for the particular processor (and gave me a black screen).

Can't recall any other details, other than my relief that I hadn't damaged the mobo (and that I found a way to reverse it).

Search the web for the problem and see if you can find something along those lines
I'll try to search today to see what I can find

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 07:18 AM

Can't find the post that I used to flash the mobo, but found several posts stating that you could send it to MSI and they would fix it (one person quoted a $45 fee)

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users