Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

HitmanPro.alert - how do I get rid of it?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jrockinccross

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:27 PM

When I open up IE, I get a green box that says HitmanPro.alert is running. I want to uninstall it, but it's not coming up on my install/uninstall programs list, I've searched for hmpalert.exe without luck, etc. I really want this gone and can't seem to figure out how.

Also, since upgrading to 10 my laptop's ability to stay connected to the internet is pathetic. Don't know if it's coincidence or if the upgrade did something. I do get a media test failure on bootup. Any suggestions? I'm an intermediate user, have googled and tried various suggestions and am still fighting it.

Edited by hamluis, 04 November 2016 - 05:36 AM.
Moved from W10 Spt to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

• Members
  • 868 posts
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:58 AM

Perhaps give this a try

Second link is from HMPAlert dev.

#3 quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,717 posts
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 07:12 AM

HitmanPro.Alert is a security tool that checks browser integrity and alerts users when malware has intruded the browser. HitmanPro.Alert runs as a service and warns if the browser has been compromised and is unsafe to use for online banking or shopping. The alert will not block the malware itself from installing since the program is not designed to be an anti-virus or anti-malware tool. If suspicious behavior is detected, HitmanPro.Alert's CryptoGuard will block it...including the encryption of files. CryptoGuard is actually the name of the kernel driver component installed by HitmanPro.Alert that mitigates a crypto-ransomware attack...it is a filter driver which monitors the file system and looks for suspicious file operations at the file system level. When suspicious behavior is detected, the process's ability to rename, write or delete files is blocked and an Alert is presented to warn the user. So even while ransomware is active, CryptoGuard protects all documents and files on the computer and will block crypto attacks against them. To remove the malware infection, you have to download and run HitManPro or another anti-malware scanner.

There is an entire topic devoted to HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard where erikloman and other Authorized SurfRight Reps. (eengels and markloman) post updates and answers questions. There is also a HitmanPro.Alert Support and Discussion topic here.

With that said, the correct way to remove most programs is from within its program group Uninstall shortcut in Start Menu > All Programs or by using Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel, so always check there first. In most cases, using the uninstaller of the software not only removes it more effectively, but it also restores many changed configuration settings. Important! Reboot when done and delete the Program folder if it still exists.

Alternatively, you can use a third-party utility like Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable and follow these instructions for using it. Revo provides a listing of all installed software by installation date and when removing a program, Revo does a more comprehensive job of searching for and removing related registry entries, files and folders.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users