Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 BSOD Hell

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 itsnotpoisoned

itsnotpoisoned

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:52 PM

Hey guys,

I have a recurring issue with the BSOD on my laptop.  Based on visual cues, I am guessing that this has something to do with my graphics card driver.  I have tried updating that driver, but no help there.  I have attached the files that were asked for, and would really love some help so that I can finish my school semester.  The problem started several months ago, and has gotten progressively worse.  I get the BSOD within minutes of booting up my laptop now.  To get around it, I can disable the graphics card, but then the laptop tends to overheat and shut down.  Thanks in advance for any insight that you can provide.  You're providing a great service here!

Regards,

Dan

· OS - Windows 7
· x64
· Win7 is original installed OS
· OEM OS
· 5 year old system
· OS never reinstalled

· CPU - Intel Core i5 M460 @ 2.53GHz
· Video Card - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650
· MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop)
· Power Supply - brand & wattage (skip if laptop)

· Dell
· Exact model number   Inspiron N4010

· Laptop

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:45 PM

Your graphics card driver (atikmdag.sys) is the cause of the BSOD's. It's crashing and taking the DirectX subsystem (dxgkrnl.sys) with it.

What version of AMD/ATi Catalyst software suite are you using?

The last build and driver for that card is Catalyst 13.9 & Display Driver ver. 8.97.100.11 Here.

Note: This was during date/time period when these display cards and drivers was very problematic & when AMD took over Ati.

#3 itsnotpoisoned

itsnotpoisoned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:13 PM

Driver version is 8.56.1.16.

I have tried to auto-update the driver in the past, but Win7 just says that the latest driver is installed.

I will try to get the Catalyst version, but usually when I try to the computer crashes again.  I tried reinstalling the 13.9 version from the link that was provided, and it crashed while trying to install.

#4 itsnotpoisoned

itsnotpoisoned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:16 PM

Catalyst Control Center (CCC.exe) file is version 3.5.0.0

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 07:38 PM

Catalyst Control Center (CCC.exe) file is version 3.5.0.0

Ok try this and let me know how it works..

1. Having 13.9 installed.

2. Reboot system tap the F8 till Advanced boot options displays. Choose 'Safe Mode with Command Prompt'.

3. Use the commands below.

copy C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\atikmdag.sys C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\atikmdag.old

del C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\atikmdag.sys

expand.exe -r C:\ATI\atikmdag.sy_ C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\atikmdag.sys

shutdown -r

Edited by technonymous, 08 November 2016 - 07:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users