Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is An AMD Radeon R9 290 For $100 A Steal Or Nah?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Phabeon

Phabeon

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:29 PM

Used video card from a buddy of a buddy..

I have a pc put together, running an i7-2600 processor, 16gb of RAM, with 2 Nvidia GeForce GTX 260's running SLI all on an Asus MB P8Z68 motherboard.  Put together about 4-5 years ago...

I want to MODERNIZE my machine a bit...  So How About it? 

#1.)  Is this A good deal? 

#2.)  Will this be compatible with system, i.e. all I have to do is plug it and be good to go? 

Please Advise!!

oNe

Edited by hamluis, 03 November 2016 - 12:13 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to System Building/Upgrading - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:23 AM

Since I am not a gamer, I can't say if this is an upgrade to what you have presently or not. However.....price-wise, this may help your decision. You might want to read the users' reviews, they seem pretty good.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 04:36 AM

If it's in great condition & hasn't been overclocked a lot (this stresses hardware beyond the point of intended usage), it's a deal for the price. :)

You'll never find a card as powerful on any site for the price, at best, entry level cards. This is not one of those, rather leaning towards upper mid level to lower high level performance, according the the link above. If still in warranty, you may want to ask your friend, as a condition of the sale, to agree do an RMA if needed for repair. Because a bad sale has broken many friendships, as well as strained family relationships. That's the least your friend could agree to do, with you paying any shipping costs to obtain service.

That's what I'd do for a friend/relative, if the component or complete system is under warranty. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 Phabeon

Phabeon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:23 PM

^^ good advice, thank you!

Also quick question, the link is for a Sapphire Radeon R9 290...

The one I'm buying is an AMD R9 290...

Or are you saying the manufacturer doesn't matter?   i.e. an R9 290 is an R9 290 regardless of manufacturer as they are built to a certain spec?  

Is that how video cards work?  I never really got all that..

oNe

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:41 PM

R9 290's from different manufacturers may have little difference on clock speeds and bigger difference on cooler solutions and such.

But mostly any manufacturer's R9 290 is R9 290.

#6 Phabeon

Phabeon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:00 PM

R9 290's from different manufacturers may have little difference on clock speeds and bigger difference on cooler solutions and such.

But mostly any manufacturer's R9 290 is R9 290.

got it!

So a few MINOR variations but otherwise an R9 290  from anyone is very similar to an R9 290 from someone else!

cooL

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 03:08 PM

Yes. I tried to put it that way.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 01:43 AM

Some does has better cooling solutions than others, such as dual fans, which sometimes during gaming, depending upon usage & model, can be a bit louder, yet should run cooler, a positive tradeoff. 

Keep in mind that if it's one pulled from a new PC bundle, then the warranty to the desktop applies, often a year unless an extended one is purchased. Though most desktops, unless custom built or configured, won't have this powerful of a GPU. I'd not hesitate to drop $100 on the card, if it has at least 6 months of warranty left, that's long enough to determine any issues. 

Be sure to clean it up good before installing, with a air duster (often termed 'canned air') & secure the fan(s) to keep from spinning. Sometimes, quite a bit of dust will build up in GPU's over time, just like a CPU cooler, I make it a point to clean mine every year, and on one, have already replaced the thermal paste, netting in a 12-15C drop in temps. That's a substantial drop in temps, I suppose the OEM (MSI) cheaped out a bit on the paste, because I purchased it new & was never overclocked. 

I've had the same results with CPU's also, both has a mechanism to serve the purpose of running cool, over time, some even with cleaning will require repasting, of which I use Arctic MX-4 for the job. Hopefully you'll receive the card already nice & clean, though it doesn't hurt to check for yourself, the difference could be years of added life, and later on, possibly getting 50% or more of your investment back if resold. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 Phabeon

Phabeon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 03:45 PM

Some does has better cooling solutions than others, such as dual fans, which sometimes during gaming, depending upon usage & model, can be a bit louder, yet should run cooler, a positive tradeoff. 

Keep in mind that if it's one pulled from a new PC bundle, then the warranty to the desktop applies, often a year unless an extended one is purchased. Though most desktops, unless custom built or configured, won't have this powerful of a GPU. I'd not hesitate to drop $100 on the card, if it has at least 6 months of warranty left, that's long enough to determine any issues. 

Be sure to clean it up good before installing, with a air duster (often termed 'canned air') & secure the fan(s) to keep from spinning. Sometimes, quite a bit of dust will build up in GPU's over time, just like a CPU cooler, I make it a point to clean mine every year, and on one, have already replaced the thermal paste, netting in a 12-15C drop in temps. That's a substantial drop in temps, I suppose the OEM (MSI) cheaped out a bit on the paste, because I purchased it new & was never overclocked. 

I've had the same results with CPU's also, both has a mechanism to serve the purpose of running cool, over time, some even with cleaning will require repasting, of which I use Arctic MX-4 for the job. Hopefully you'll receive the card already nice & clean, though it doesn't hurt to check for yourself, the difference could be years of added life, and later on, possibly getting 50% or more of your investment back if resold. :)

Cat

OUTSTANDING post and info..  Great read and def learned a lot in that!

really REALLY appreciated!

oNe

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 02:43 AM

Phabeon, glad to have been of assistance! :)

And has been a pleasure serving you, any time you have a question, don't hesitate to log on & ask. There's many members of the Bleeping Computer community that has thousands of years of collective knowledge, many far more so than myself, much of what I practice was learned here, as well as some other sites.

Good Luck with the GPU! :thumbup2:

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users