Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update stuck

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 The_Atomik_Punk!

The_Atomik_Punk!

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 02 November 2016 - 05:07 PM

As the title says, I can't get windows update to complete. Initially, I could get Windows Update to display the current available updates, but when selecting them, Widows Update would hang at 0% downloading. After looking online, I came across a recommendation to go into C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and delete all of the contents. After doing that, Windows Update now displays a red X, and will not even show available updates- it just hangs at looking for updates. Related to this, Microsoft Security Essentials cannot update either. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:18 AM

See the official Microsoft fix for this

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3200747

#3 The_Atomik_Punk!

The_Atomik_Punk!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2016 - 06:18 PM

I followed the Microsoft fix, and when trying to install the first pack (KB3020369 April 2015 servicing stack update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2), the installer just hangs when searching for updates on this computer, so no dice.

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 01:45 AM

Did you follow the instructions?

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:

Click Start, type Windows update in the search box, and then click Windows Update in the Programs list.

In the left pane, click Change settings, select Never check for updates, and then select OK.

Restart the computer.

After the computer restarts, manually download and install the following two updates for the Windows Update service. Please download the appropriate 32-bit or 64-bit version for your operating system. Click here to see how to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or 64-bit version of Windows.

You have to change your updates settings, reboot, apply those 2 updates, reboot, then change the updates setting back.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 10:21 AM

Do a system restore using a restore point dated prior to the changes you just made.  After the system restore finishes please download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Post the results in your topic.

Clicking on the link above will start the download automatically.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 The_Atomik_Punk!

The_Atomik_Punk!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 12:09 PM

Did you follow the instructions?

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:

Click Start, type Windows update in the search box, and then click Windows Update in the Programs list.

In the left pane, click Change settings, select Never check for updates, and then select OK.

Restart the computer.

After the computer restarts, manually download and install the following two updates for the Windows Update service. Please download the appropriate 32-bit or 64-bit version for your operating system. Click here to see how to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or 64-bit version of Windows.

You have to change your updates settings, reboot, apply those 2 updates, reboot, then change the updates setting back.

I followed the instructions as laid out, and the first file hangs when searching for updates on the computer.

Do a system restore using a restore point dated prior to the changes you just made.  After the system restore finishes please download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Post the results in your topic.

Clicking on the link above will start the download automatically.

Unfortunately, it looks like I hae system restore turned off, as the computers says ther's no restore point to access.

#7 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 12:10 PM

Hi:

The others who have posted advice are far more expert than I am.

And each computer is unique -- problems that sound "the same" often turn out to have different causes/solutions.

However, there have been MANY MANY folks at another forum that specializes in Windows 7, myself included (on 2 Win7 boxes), for whom not only KB3020369 was needed, but (most importantly) ALSO KB3172605.

The trick is to break the endless updating loop so that you can get these 2 patches to install manually.

If Windows is already "stuck" in perpetual "checking for updates" you may need to not only change to "never check for updates", but also temporarily disable Windows Update from services.msc.

I'm on my Win10 box at the moment, but this the basic procedure:

First, change Windows Update (temporarily) to "never check for updates".

Then, you might need to also do the following:

• If you have not already done so, download & save (but do not yet run) KB3020369 and KB3172605
  • From the Windows start orb, type "services.msc" (no quotes).
  • Scroll down to Windows Update service
  • RIGHT mouse-click on it
  • Change it to "disabled" and the "stop" the service, click "OK"
  • Reboot the computer
  • Run KB3020369, reboot
  • Run KB3172605, reboot
  • Go back into Windows update and reset it back to enable checking for updates (most of us use "let me choose...")
  • Go back into services.msc and change Windows Update back to "automatic-delayed start"

You ought to now be able to run a manual Windows "check for updates" and things ought to work OK.
This has worked for me (two different systems) and for many, many other folks.

NOTE: For a fresh Win7 install, you might also need KB3125574 FIRST, and then the other 2.

YMMV, but if this does not resolve the issue, then it's likely a different problem.

HTH,

MM

Edited by MoxieMomma, 04 November 2016 - 12:10 PM.

#8 The_Atomik_Punk!

The_Atomik_Punk!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:42 PM

Hey MoxieMomma, thank you for the detailed reply. Unfortunately, after following your advice and attempting to install the first fixpack, it refuses to run, and displays an error prompt. It says the following:

"Installer encountered an error: 0x80070422

The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."

Edited by hamluis, 08 November 2016 - 09:15 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 07 November 2016 - 07:06 PM

Try the following. Do Not disable the service. I did the same and received the same error. Enable the service. Reboot and immediately login and install the update. The update service has a delayed start. By rebooting and immediately installing the update I avoided the error and the update successfully installed.

After you double click the installer it will be a bit before you receive a dialog box asking if you want to install the update.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 November 2016 - 07:08 PM.

#10 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:33 AM

Hi:

Yep, I agree.

Some folks have had to do both: turn off Windows Update from the applet AND from Windows services (that worked for me on 2 boxes), but others did not.

Try it with only Windows Update set to "Never Check for Updates" and then a reboot.

If it's a new Windows install, install 3125574 and reboot.

Then install 3020369 and reboot, if not already done.

Then install 3172605 and reboot.

Then reset WU back to "Notify, but let me choose".

Then run a manual Windows Update check.

It ought to work after that.

The critical thing is to get those 2 patches installed (all 3 if it's a fresh Windows install).

If that does not fix the problem, then there's probably something else wrong.

(NOTE: for most folks for whom this approach did work (myself included), there were no Windows error messages.  It was just a question of perpetual "checking for updates".)

HTH,

MM

#11 The_Atomik_Punk!

The_Atomik_Punk!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 07:31 PM

Hey guys, so unless I'm misunderstanding your most recent advice, I essentially tried again what I initially did; that being having the Windows Update service running, but having Windows set to "Never check for updates", and then attempting to install the recommended files. As before, Windows just hangs when "searching for windows updates".

I should add that, before I contacted this forum, I came across a solution online which recommended going into my HDD where Windows is installed (C:/), and finding the folder Windows/softwaredistribution, and deleting the entire contents of said folder. Could that be why these files hang at searching for Windows Updates?

#12 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 07:19 AM

Hey guys, so unless I'm misunderstanding your most recent advice, I essentially tried again what I initially did; that being having the Windows Update service running, but having Windows set to "Never check for updates", and then attempting to install the recommended files. As before, Windows just hangs when "searching for windows updates".

Set it to never check for updates and then REBOOT before trying to install those patches (both of which you should have already downloaded and saved locally on the computer, in the correct version for your architecture, either 32-bit or 64-bit).
Reboot after installing 3020369.
Reboot again after installing 3172605.
Reset WU to "notify but let me choose".
Run a MANUAL check for updates.

This has worked for many, many, many folks at other fora (and for me, on 2 Win7 systems), but YMMV.

I should add that, before I contacted this forum, I came across a solution online which recommended going into my HDD where Windows is installed (C:/), and finding the folder Windows/softwaredistribution, and deleting the entire contents of said folder. Could that be why these files hang at searching for Windows Updates?

Most people did not find it necessary to do that, for this particular problem.
But, yes, sometimes, if the Windows Updates downloads have become corrupted one needs to wipe out the folder.
And sometimes, one needs to completely reset WU, a more draconian approach.

Again, for the typical "checking for updates" problem, there is no error code and installing both 3020369 and 3172605 resolve the issue.

If those two patches do not fix your problem, then it's likely there is something else going on.
WU issues can be tough to track down and fix.
Anything terribly involved is above my pay grade.
But there are some diagnostic tools and some fixes to try.
If you are making multiple changes and seeking help in multiple venues all at the same time, it will be confusing for everyone.

I hope you get it fixed.

Cheers,
MM

#13 The_Atomik_Punk!

The_Atomik_Punk!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 06:40 PM

Shoot, the first file still hangs at searching for Windows updates when attempting to install it. I really don't understand why I can't even get this update to run; this is starting to get frustrating!

#14 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 09:01 PM

Hi:

Shoot, the first file still hangs at searching for Windows updates when attempting to install it. I really don't understand why I can't even get this update to run; this is starting to get frustrating!

Sorry, but it if WU is disabled, then it ought not to be checking for updates.

Something is not working properly.

That is why I originally suggested not only changing it to "never check for updates", but also disabling it and stopping it from services.msc.

Let's try this:

1. IF NOT ALREADY DONE: Download and save, but do not run yet, the standalone installers for KB3020369 and KB3172605 for your architecture (32-bit or 64-bit).
  2. Disconnect from the internet.
  3. Disable the Windows Update service in both the applet itself ("never check for updates") AND from services.msc (change it to "manual" and STOP the service, then click "OK").
  4. REBOOT
  5. Run 3020369 and reboot.
  6. Run 3172605 and reboot.
  7. Go into services.msc and change WU back to "Automatic-delayed start" and start the service.
  8. Reconnect to internet.
  9. Change WU to "notify me, but let me choose".
  10. Run a manual check for updates.

The concept is that you are going to install them from the standalone installers that you have downloaded locally to your computer, NOT via Windows Update.

So, if Windows Update is partially or fully enabled when you try this, you will probably get stuck "checking for updates".

WU must be disabled first.

If that process does not work and/or you get error messages with a specific error code then, as I mentioned earlier, you probably have a different problem.

In that latter case, you might want to try the following:

1. Run SURT -- see instructions HERE.
  2. Run System File Checker (SFC /scannow) -- see instructions HERE.
  3. Write down any and all error codes you are getting.
  4. Collect the CBS log -- see instructions HERE.
  5. Post the CBS log, the results from the SFC, and any error codes you get in a reply here in this thread.
  6. Please wait for someone more expert to analyze your CBS log & error codes and to assist you further.

Thanks,

MM

#15 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 12:52 AM

Just to add I have seen this 'searching for updates' when running one of those files when Updates are turned off and machine is disconnected from internet etc  and PC has been rebooted.

I usually leave it and it will eventually install.

I think it may be seaching for updates ''on the pc'' to see if it is a needed one and what parts of it need installing.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by opera, 11 November 2016 - 12:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users