Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best distro for old laptop

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dishdude1

dishdude1

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:45 PM

I have an old emachines laptop m6811 with a 64 bit single core 2.2 ghz processor and 1 gb ram. I'm looking for a distro I can install on the hard drive and use for light internet surfing. What distro would be light and good for this old machine that doesn't have a lot of power?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 02 November 2016 - 01:05 PM

Personally, for a person coming from Windows, I would recommend you first try Mint Mate 18  or Mint Xfce. Burn each iso to disk and see which one you prefer. Both should run fairly decent with 1GB of RAM.

If the above distros are too slow for your liking then consider Puppy Linux. I like Tahrpup for older computers. BC member Mike_Walsh has a lot of experience with Puppy. I'm sure he has some additional thoughts or ideas.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 November 2016 - 01:28 PM.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 01:43 PM

Yeah I will try Linux Mint mate just don't expect too many miracles. I mean Puppy Linux is fine however I would do some homework on it and how to use it

Edited by MadmanRB, 02 November 2016 - 01:44 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#4 dishdude1

dishdude1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:55 PM

I was running Puppy, Slacko 64 to be exact and it became corrupt and won't boot. I run 18.1 Mate on my good machines but when I installed it on this old computer I didn't find it acceptable. I am thinking an older version with the Xfce desktop?

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:02 PM

XFCE may run better, its hard to say with such an old machine.

But yes Puppy isnt a bad distro if you had to use that

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:45 PM

I recommend antiX 16. It's a "full" Linux distro (although much smaller than Mint), that uses similar system resources to Puppy.

I dual boot antiX 16 and Puppy on my old laptop. I pretty much always use antiX 16, and hardly ever Puppy.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,115 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 06:17 PM

I recommend antiX 16. It's a "full" Linux distro (although much smaller than Mint), that uses similar system resources to Puppy.

I dual boot antiX 16 and Puppy on my old laptop. I pretty much always use antiX 16, and hardly ever Puppy.

Uhh, I would go with what this guy says lol, no really!  Are you sure about the RAM, as I see it came with 512MB?  This will change things quite a bit IMO.  At this point you may need to run Puppy, or Lubuntu.  I've never run AntiX so I can't say there, I know it's popular and very light weight.

I run 18.1 Mate on my good machines but when I installed it on this old computer I didn't find it acceptable. I am thinking an older version with the Xfce desktop?

I'm not sure why folks suggest running the newest distro's on super old hardware, especially 13yr old hardware, and I can see why you might of had issues running 18.1...although...I think you mean 18.0? correct me if I'm wrong.  IMO It's more of a gamble running the newest on really old pc's, when there is 17.3 that has been tested on many more pc's than 18.0-16.04

I'm a Mint Fanboy, so I would start with Xfce 17.3, but there are lighter distro's.

Second choice would be Xubuntu

Third would be Lubuntu, being the lightest on resources - I think this would be a good one.

Hope that helps

Edited by pcpunk, 02 November 2016 - 06:19 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,414 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:41 PM

I was running Puppy, Slacko 64 to be exact and it became corrupt and won't boot. I run 18.1 Mate on my good machines but when I installed it on this old computer I didn't find it acceptable. I am thinking an older version with the Xfce desktop?

Mm. Personally, although I run both both of the 64-bit 'flagship' Pups, I definitely prefer Tahr64. Tahr is based on Ubuntu (which in turn is based on Debian), which means access to enormous repositories of decent, thoroughly certified software.

Slacko64, on the other hand, is based on Slackware, one of the oldest distros still in existence. I'm not knocking him (far from it!), but lead developer Michael Amadio (01micko on the Puppy Forums) has tended to use Slacko64 more as an on-going development model.....so, to that end, it's not quite as stable. It's being currently used to test out all the new UEFI BIOS stuff.....which is still quite new to Puppy, as it's usually been targeted at mainly 32-bit hardware. Since 64 -bit hardware is now fast approaching its 10th anniversary, world-wide, I believe it was considered time to start developing 64-bit stuff at long last.

Phil Broughton (aka 666philB on the Puppy Forums), has always done his level best to produce Pups that are easy to use, and moreover, which just 'work'. In Tahr64, he's excelled himself. Following in the footsteps of the original 32-bit Tahrpup 6.05, Tahr64 has quickly established a reputation as a solid, dependable workhorse.

2.2 GHz 64-bit single-core. Not an Athlon 64, by any chance? A Sempron 64? Or perhaps an FX? All very reliable processors, by the way...

Ah. Mobile Athlon 64:-

http://www.notebookreview.com/notebookreview/emachines-m6811-review-pics-specs/

Not bad at all. I would still go for Puppy in preference to Mint, though...or Ubuntu.

Here's my own Tahr64 desktop, which I'm in at the moment:-

iwE1hvz.png

AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual-core 3800+, 3 GB RAM, w/ATI Radeon Xpress200 graphics.

I tend to favour rather 'busy-looking' desktops, as you may have noticed..!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 02 November 2016 - 09:18 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#9 dishdude1

dishdude1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:06 PM

Thanks for all the input. I tried Mint 17.1 Xfce and it seemed to run decent, so I got bold and installed Chrome which ran okay but YouTube videos don't run smoothly. I can actually use this combination, but it isn't a real satisfying experience. 

The machine is an Athlon 64, and originally had two 256 mb sticks of ram but I swapped one out for a 1 gb, so it really has 1 gb + 256 mb.

I have never heard of antiX but I downloaded the iso and plan to try it tonight. I tried Tahr64 in the past on it, but I can't remember why I didn't keep it...it might be worth trying again.

Edited by dishdude1, 02 November 2016 - 09:07 PM.

#10 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,414 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:47 PM

I tried Tahr64 in the past on it, but I can't remember why I didn't keep it...it might be worth trying again.

Well, Tahr64 has been out for around a year, at this point.....so most of the early bugs/teething problems have been pretty well sorted out by now. I would give it another try; you may be pleasantly surprised.

Your decision, of course.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:27 PM

I have an old emachines laptop m6811 with a 64 bit single core 2.2 ghz processor and 1 gb ram. I'm looking for a distro I can install on the hard drive and use for light internet surfing.

Lubuntu  Mint XFCE  are ok, But I agree with Mike give TharPup a go.

I love my pup so much  look at what I run it on.

Quad core Intel Core i5-4460 CPU, 8 GiB of ram. I think I need more ram?

2qntths.png

Edited by NickAu, 04 November 2016 - 02:34 AM.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,115 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:06 PM

Thanks for all the input. I tried Mint 17.1 Xfce and it seemed to run decent, so I got bold and installed Chrome which ran okay but YouTube videos don't run smoothly. I can actually use this combination, but it isn't a real satisfying experience. 

Does this mean you were running it Live, or installed?  It should run better once installed but the Puppy suggestions are good also, perhaps better.  We should also take a look at whether or not RAM is being used as it should be.  I don't remember what system monitor is in Xfce, either way I would check whatever system monitor is present to see if at least 1GB of RAM is being used.

Didn't you try Video's in Firefox, if so how did that work?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#13 dishdude1

dishdude1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:14 PM

I couldn't find the system manager in Xfce! I was running it installed and I knew I wasn't going to be happy so I wiped the drive and installed Tahr64. Much more responsive! 

I like the look of the Tahrpup desktop and everything seems to be working great. Any suggestions on what browser I should try? I prefer Chrome, but it's a bit of a resource hog so not sure it would be a good fit for this machine.

What is Pale Moon? It appears to be a lightweight version of Firefox.

Edited by dishdude1, 02 November 2016 - 11:54 PM.

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:23 AM

What is Pale Moon? It appears to be a lightweight version of Firefox.

Kinda

Pale Moon is an Open Source, Goanna-based web browser available for Microsoft Windows and Linux (with other operating systems in development), focusing on efficiency and ease of use. Make sure to get the most out of your browser!

Pale Moon offers you a browsing experience in a browser completely built from its own, independently developed source that has been forked off from Firefox/Mozilla code, with carefully selected features and optimizations to improve the browser's speed*, resource use, stability and user experience, while offering full customization and a growing collection of extensions and themes to make the browser truly your own.

https://www.palemoon.org/

#15 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,414 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:49 AM

Mm. Browsers. 64-bit browsers... Oh, yeah. Huh...

Trouble with most of the well-known browsers is that they all started out nice & lightweight.....but as the web's developed, and nasties have proliferated, so they've had to become more secure, including sand-boxing, an' all that kinda stuff...

Sheesh.

Top & bottom is, what used to be like svelte little racing dinghies have 'morphed' into sodding great 'supertankers'.....and become just as hard to manoeuvre easily.

I do the 64-bit Chrome SFS packages that Puppy uses. Apparently, from the next version (55) onwards, Chrome is not going to be anything like such a RAM hog, due to underlying major changes in the Blink 'engine'. I really hope this will be the case; I've used Chrome since beta in 2008, and what originally attracted me to it was its blinding speed. Over the years, it's just got larger, and larger.....and more & more 'sluggish'.

If you don't mind Mozilla-type browsers, Pale Moon's pretty good. I can't really think of any 64-bit browsers I'd recommend for low-RAM scenarios; although I'm biased toward the Chromium-based browsers, they are greedy for the stuff; no getting away from that.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users