Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to Permanently disable driver

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 areans

areans

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:50 AM

i have a laptop with a touchscreen. the touchscreen recently developed a small crack and because of that it would be clicking on everything. i managed to disable the driver, but now i want to reload my windows 10. is there any way that i can permanently disable the driver so that even if i re-isntall my windows the driver will not be active hence the touch will not be enabled? please help

hp, windows 10

Edited by areans, 02 November 2016 - 05:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AnotherMindbomb

AnotherMindbomb

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 02 November 2016 - 07:06 AM

Does your laptop have a switch to turn off the touchpad? Many do, even if it's a "soft" switch activated by hitting Fn + a function key, in the same way that many laptops have a switch for suspending to disk, volume control, brightness control, etc.

If you don't have an easy switch on your keyboard, you could re-install windows and then disable the touchpad in the Devices section of the Control panel.

#3 areans

areans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:19 AM

thank you so much for the reply, the problem is not the touchpad, its the touchscreen. the laptop's screen is touch sensitive, so when it cracked it was as if hundreds of fingers are pressing at the same time and it became unusable because it would be as if you are clicking on everything thats on the desktop. i managed to access device manager for some few seconds thats when i deactivated the touchscreen driver and i could use it as a normal Laptop. but now that i want to re load windows my concern is that the drivers will just reload again and i wont have a chance to access device manager again.  

#4 AnotherMindbomb

AnotherMindbomb

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:34 AM

Ahhh - my mistake. Apologies - I'm so used to seeing "touchpad" I didn't actually take note of your perfectly good description of the problem!

You don't mention the specific model but they are all going to be the same; I found this on the HP site:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/Can-I-turn-off-the-touchscreen/td-p/258012

Looks easy enough to do but if you want a keyboard driven method:

• Press the Windows logo key + X.
  • Select Device Manager from the list.
  • Click the little arrow next to Human Interface Devices to expand the list.
  • Click the touch screen driver,
  • Right-click, and select Disable from the list.
  • Click Yes on the dialog box that asks if you are sure you want to disable the touch screen driver

#5 areans

areans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:51 AM

thank you so much again for the swift reply. Thats exactly what i did the first time. the problem now is i want to re-load my windows. the reason i could even access the control panel the first time was that there was a moment when it stopped touching and clicking all things and opening new pages, i used the small window and within seconds i had disabled the driver. but now that i want to reload the operating system. the touch will be reactivated once more and i wont have any access to the control pannel. it will be as if a hundred little fingers are touching the screen and opening all sorts of windows and clicking on whatever that has a link. that is why i need some help on if there is any way of permanently disabling the driver so that even if i re-install my windows, that specific touch driver wont be loaded. again thank you for the swift replies

#6 AnotherMindbomb

AnotherMindbomb

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:40 AM

Ahh - so when you fire the laptop up, even if you're not touching the screen the short from the crack is making the machine think it's receiving a myriad of taps on the screen constantly... My initial thought was that when you physically touched the screen with a finger, you got a burst of hundreds of fake touches and I thought "well, don't touch the screen then - just use a mouse!"

I can see your problem!

• How about safe mode - is the touch-screen driver loaded when you go into Safe mode? If not, you can try disabling it in safe mode and then then booting into Windows normally.
  • Can you disable the touch-screen in the BIOS?
  • What about plugging in an external monitor. That may disable the touch-screen, thus allowing you the ability to control the machine via the trackpad/mouse, disable the touch-screen in Windows and then you can fire the machine up without an external monitor.

#7 areans

areans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:31 AM

exactly, its getting phantom clicks. Temporarily removing the screen, and connecting to an external display would absolutely work, you are right, only were i am there is no other screen in hundreds of miles except mine, if only there was a cable that is responsible for receiving the touch signal that might help, but i have no idea which able. at this point, any option or solution is very much welcome

#8 AnotherMindbomb

AnotherMindbomb

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:40 AM

1. It's a hardware fault (obviously) so the screen/cablnig will need to be replaced to actually fix it. I presume that's not an option.

2. There are no external monitors available so that's not going to work either.

Have you checked Windows Safe Mode? Right now, the driver will be turned off, as that's how you currently have it configured, but in Safe Mode there's a limited number of drivers which actually get loaded anyway. If your touch-screen driver it not loaded until a standard windows system comes up then you could well be able to re-install windows, boot into Safe mode, disable the driver and that setting should persist into the standard Windows configuration.

Edit: I should have stated - if you fire up Safe Mode and look to see if any of the Human Interface Devices (HiD) are loaded that should tell you if your touch-screen is going to be active in Safe mode. Obviously it will be turned off right now, but if everything else in that section is unloaded I see no reason why your touch-screen drivers will be loaded in safe Mode on a fresh install.

Of course, if this is not the case, you're in a bit of trouble, so we should really have an escape route should that be the case... I'm thinking about a Boot CD which we can use to boot up and physically remove the drivers for the touch-screen from your fresh installation ...

Edited by AnotherMindbomb, 02 November 2016 - 10:53 AM.

#9 areans

areans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:07 AM

thats the thing now, because during installation, i fear during those few stages were i have to click on some options, it will do it for me and mess everything up all over again and again. isn't there a cable inside the deals only with the touch aspect of the screen that i can just disconnect and reload windows while its disconnected?

#10 areans

areans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:09 AM

i wont even be able to create an account during installation because it will be touching everwhere

#11 AnotherMindbomb

AnotherMindbomb

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:21 AM

I was operating on the principal that your touch-screen won't become active until after Windows is installed and booted up for the first time.

If that's not the case, then you only really have three options.

1. Don't re-install windows.

2. Disable the touchscreen in the BIOS, if that's even possible.

3. Have the screen repaired, which it doesn't sound like you're able to do.

There will indeed be some sensors on or around the screen itself to detect where a touch is made and these signals will be carried back to the motherboard via a cable, but it's not likely that you'll be able to disconnect just that cable and still have a screen displayed - it'll probably be carried down the same ribbon cable that is feeding the backlight with power and carrying the video signal. Unplug that and you have no screen, and as you have no other monitors you're looking at a black mirror.

Edited by AnotherMindbomb, 02 November 2016 - 11:24 AM.

#12 areans

areans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:43 AM

Pretty much yes. anyways thank you sooo much for the help friend. thank you so much, may it be well with you and with all you do. what i will do is tonight i will contact someone so that he can bring over or i can go a day's journey,(yes its very biblical) to collect a tv screen which i can connect via hdmi cable and disconnect my laptop screen and then reconnect after loading windows. that should work right?. i have no choice but to reload windows. its now full of errors and is giving me the fatal bluescreen every hour or two with the "critical processes shut down" error message. its so slow now and has been victim to many viruses. as the only computer here with everyone using it you can imagine. i really have no choice. let me get a tv screen which i left back at the camp and use the hdmi cable. i will be back with my response of wheather it worked or not. thank you soo much Friend.

#13 AnotherMindbomb

AnotherMindbomb

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:49 AM

Hopefully it should work!

I'd like to think that when an external screen is plugged in the on-board touch screen is disabled, but never having used a touch-screen laptop, the only way to see is to try it out. 

Do you have a key combination on the keyboard which disables the built-in screen?

I'm a bit bummed out that we can't come up with a cunning plan to work around this without actually having to take a punt on re-enabling the touch-screen and hoping it doesn't go insane on you.

I'll keep on digging around for you - see if I can come up with a solution, and if I do, I'll update this thread. In the meantime, most sincerely - "Good Luck!" :)

Steve.

#14 areans

areans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:25 PM

i know right? usually theres always a cunning work around these things, it never gets to a point were hardware has to be changed. i have searched and searched an there is no combination. thank you so much friend. you have been of much help to me.

#15 areans

areans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:42 AM

I found a way!!! i opened my laptop and disconnected what is called the digitizer, i disconnected the cables that connect to it and that disconnected the touch sensors fucntion but left the screen working perfectly fine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users