Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Anniversary : Update Failure.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 minde

minde

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 09:45 PM

Hello,

I've been having this problem for a few weeks now.

Windows will reboot to update the windows 10 anniversary update but an error always pops up and the updates cancels out and reverts to the old version. 

"Windows could not configure one or more system components. To install Windows, restart the computer and then restart the installation".

I've tried creating a separate usb for the upgrade using media creation tool but the same error still comes up. Delete the software distribution folder etc. 

May I ask if anyone encountered this problem and is there any fix for it?

Thanks!

Current windows version: Windows 10 (Build 10240)
Windows Update Failed: KB3159635

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 02 November 2016 - 01:57 AM

Are all your updates (apart from that one) up to date?

Have you had that build of 10 on your machine for more than 30 days?

No card readers/cameras etc attached to the machine?

What av/security software?

Have you tried just clicking here?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history?ocid=update_setting_client

#3 minde

minde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 01:53 AM

Are all your updates (apart from that one) up to date? Hey yes, only update that is pending is KB3159635

Have you had that build of 10 on your machine for more than 30 days? Yes. 

No card readers/cameras etc attached to the machine? I've plugged out every USB cables there is , nothing is attached. I do have a few HDD and SDD attached via the Sata cable. 

What av/security software? Kaspersky Internet Security 2016

Have you tried just clicking here? Yes but the same error still appear. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history?ocid=update_setting_client

Is there anyway I can get the installation log file to asses which component is affected?

#4 chronzillo

chronzillo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:00 AM

I'm having similar issues . Tried disabling .NET and it still came up with same error. Is there some kind of log to see any errors? I'm on build 10240 and I've been on it since. I think for like over 6 months or 3 months the least. No anti-virus, no-card reader, updated all drivers, and downloaded Windows 10 Anniversary installer to no avail. Help please!

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 03:43 PM

Hello,

Windows will reboot to update the windows 10 anniversary update but an error always pops up and the updates cancels out and reverts to the old version. 

"Windows could not configure one or more system components. To install Windows, restart the computer and then restart the installation".

I've tried creating a separate usb for the upgrade using media creation tool but the same error still comes up. Delete the software distribution folder etc. 

Thanks!

Build 10240 is a long ago obsoleted Insider build.  If you're a registered Insider, you'll need to download a current version and do a clean install.  After that, you'll need to keep up to date as you agreed to do when becoming an insider.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#6 chronzillo

chronzillo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:30 AM

Hello,

Thanks!

Build 10240 is a long ago obsoleted Insider build.  If you're a registered Insider, you'll need to download a current version and do a clean install.  After that, you'll need to keep up to date as you agreed to do when becoming an insider.

I don't think I remember signing up for anything regarding being an insider. I know that I was desperate to download windows and did the force install Win 10 when I couldn't wait for the update to come out in waves from Win 7. So, I would have to back up all my files, create a disk with Media Creation tool and delete current partition and just Install from scratch? And what about my Product Key? I don't know what it is and if I upgrade, I'm screwed without it. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

#7 minde

minde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 05:28 PM

pulled out all additional cards in my computer, installed the update successfully. thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users