Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Putin Wants to Push Microsoft Out of Russia

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:20 PM

In his battle with the United States, Vladimir Putin has a new target — Microsoft.

The Kremlin is backing a plan to rid government offices and state-controlled companies of all foreign software, starting with Moscow city government replacing Microsoft products with Russian ones, according to a senior U.S. intelligence official.

This week, Russia also blocked LinkedIn, the U.S.-based networking site that Microsoft is in the process of buying.

The intelligence official said Putin is going after Microsoft because it is the biggest American name in information technology and because it's easy to convince Russians that the company works with the U.S. intelligence community.

A sensitive U.S. Homeland Security document obtained by NBC News confirms that a Microsoft Office attachment was used by Russian hackers to shut down the Ukraine electrical grid last year.

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:26 PM

So what will they use because MS is USA, Apple i believe is as well, and Linux, Linus was born in finland, so what would they use? would they have to make their own OS?. hm.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:43 PM

LIST of Soviet OS's

Also...

And...

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:39 PM

Also a mobile OS in the works.

http://thehackernews.com/2016/06/russian-mobile-os.html

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,418 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:44 PM

Russia is not the first Govt to ditch Microsoft in favor of Linux or Open source software.

Italian Government Ditching Microsoft for Open Source LibreOffice ...

UK Government Ditches Microsoft and Google to Adopt Open Source ...

NZ school ditches Microsoft and goes totally open source - CIO

Pennsylvania High School Rolls Out 1,700 Linux Laptops to Students ...

List of Linux adopters - Wikipedia

PS

Heres a distro everybody should use.  Because dear leader says so :hysterical:

Red Star OS - Wikipedia

Edited by NickAu, 01 November 2016 - 07:48 PM.
add red star link.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:54 PM

In the article I linked to.

Microsoft told NBC News it doesn't collaborate with the government on any spying.

I almost choked when I read this. Just like Yahoo didn't cooperate with the government accessing everybody's emails.

#7 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:11 PM

In the article I linked to.

Microsoft told NBC News it doesn't collaborate with the government on any spying.

I almost choked when I read this. Just like Yahoo didn't cooperate with the government accessing everybody's emails.

Its the whole "No i am not" while nodding yes up and down.

I got no idea why any IT company would want to run in America after bush brought them stupid spying laws in and the stingray was one of the most intrusive machines ever LOL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users